.xlsx file crashes the documents app and if opened from the mail app the screen goes black

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): other (xz2c community)
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

Trying to open an .xlsx mail attachment results in two things. When taping the attachment the screen goes black (i suspect its the compositor restarting??). If you open the document app and tap the file from there the app crashes.

TBH i don’t have any other files to test but with this particular file it happens 100% of the time.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open an .xlsx file/attachment from either the mail app or the document app

EXPECTED RESULT:

Display the file.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Crashes everything.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Could you please attach an anonymised version of the xlsx file that you make reference to? I cannot reproduce on any of my devices.

You may try to start sailfish-office from a terminal, open the file manually and if it crashes, you’ll at least see a reason (sort of). I suspect a SEGV.

Can someone test this file.

It crashes for me.

It crashes for me also. The document app opens, you get a blank screen and then it closes (crashes). I’ve also had this on all the xlsx files I’ve tried to open in email attachments - although this has only been two of them in recent years. On SF 4.0.1.8 on XA2.

I can confirm this on XA2 plus dual-sim, SFOS 4.0.1.48.
Not all xlsx files trigger this problem, though.
This wasn’t happening for me before on 3.4.0.24, if Documents app or entire home screen died opening xlsx, usually it worked the second time. Now, if a particular xlsx file crashes, it crashes always.

This specific XLXS “crashes” documents app on X with 4.0.1.48.

But as well on a XA2 with 3.2.1.20 .

So, no regression but consistent fail of some XLS…

For the crash, the reason was here : https://invent.kde.org/office/calligra/-/merge_requests/20 I’m submitting a merge request upstream to fix it.

That being said, it seems that the document cannot be read for whatever reason that I still need to investigate…

1 Like