WLAN not found by Jolla Tablet when more than one AP broadcasts the same SSID (mesh)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 1.1.x.x to 4.3.0.15
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Jolla Tablet
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): unknown

DESCRIPTION:

I tried to revive (=factory reset) my Jolla Tablet yesterday. After restarting, only my 5Ghz network was found. For some reason the 2,4Ghz network was not found. My router operated both WLANs.

The tablet could connect to the 5Ghz. SSID and perform some of the updates. Later I connected a repeater that extends the WLAN and establishes a WLAN mesh. Same SSID, different MAC address. From that moment on, the 5Ghz was not to be found.

After restarting the tablet and the router, and disconnecting the repeater, the Tablet was able to reconnect to the 5Ghz. SSID. Other networks from the neighbors are found during the scannings.

Looks like the device would have problems with different networks provided by the same AP/mesh.

PRECONDITIONS:

Tablet in factory default settings.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Connect the tablet to a SSID operated by a first AP.
  2. Connect a WLAN repeater which acts as second AP operating the same SSID
  3. No SSID found by the tablet when scanning.

EXPECTED RESULT:

• WLAN should be found and a connection should be possible.

ACTUAL RESULT:

• WLAN not found

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This does NOT happen with my Jolla 1, Jolla C, Xperia X or Xperia XA2, which strongly makes me think that something could be wrong with the WLAN driver of the tablet. Hopefully software and not hardware.

In my case, I can’t connect to my Wi-Fi when I reboot my tablet. To solve this issue I have to delete saved networks from settings and try connect to my Wi-Fi again.

Is this bug still reproducible?

The wlan chip inside the Tablet is from Intel, right? This problem sounds familiar to me. Replacing wpa_supplicant with iwd helps. Connman has support for iwd, so the GUI should work fine along.

I don’t know if this bug is the same as this: Jolla Tablet: no wlan after update, but I have problems to connect my jolla tablet to my Wi-Fi at least since sailfish 4.

Are you still experiencing this? I couldn’t reproduce on my tablet which is on 4.5.0.

Check that you are not operating the WLAN in channel 13 or any channel bonding combination which could include channel 13.

1 Like

Sorry for the late answer. I think your issue is different than mine, and it is talked in this thread: