Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Can confirm it’s for GroupsV2, but I did not know they were mandatory in official Signal now. That moves the up the priority list. Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT: actually, there’s still a difference between creating a group with a WF user, and adding a WF user to a group. The former is still possible, the latter is not. Please do track https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/86, `beta.1. will include Groups v2! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow, this project is really advanced - thanks @rubdos and all other people on it :+1:. Installed alpha 7 yesterday on my xperia 10, registration was smooth and sending and receiving messages works. I see the issue with groups and group management is known and gets some priority, thanks for that. With other contacts (single person) Whisperfish displays contact names in the overview but just phone numbers when writing a new message. Is that also “work in progress” or did something fail with my installation?

1 Like

For reference, this is how a “working” conversation should look like:

If your experience is different, feel free to report an issue!

Installed and registered while sitting at an airport, and had it running in minutes, chatting with my one Signal using contact, no problems.

Thanks Rubdos! Keep up the good work.

Unfortunately: “To use the Signal desktop app, Signal must first be installed on your phone.” and it seems that QR-code linking is needed , so Signal remains practically useless for me - for the same reason as WA etc.

https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/merge_requests/61 and https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/97 are things you may want to keep an eye on then! Linking is a highly requested feature, and shouldn’t be too difficult to implement at this point.

2 Likes

I’ve never used Signal before, and just installed version 0.6.0-0.alpha.7 using Storeman on my Xperia X running Sailfish build 3.4.0.24
As soon as I registered my number I received a couple of messages from people who had my number in their phone book. But from their end it appears that I haven’t received any messages, and they don’t see replies that I send.
Can anyone help me get this working?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! You’re definitely bouncing on some bug here, but from your description I’m not sure what’s happening. Could you get in touch via mail? I’ll have to ask a few file listings and logs that may be too sensitive to just drop on a forum. whisperfish [at] rubdos [dot] be

Is this with a specific set of users, are there other people to whom you can successfully send messages?

If you mean the first empty message, one per contact, I think I have the same. I have a feeling it could be a control message (for example, set message auto destruction off) from the server… I can’t delete the messages either, but they don’t bother me.

Having said that, I can both send and receive messages, so perhaps your issue is something separate.

I’m in contact via mail now :slight_smile:

The first empty message is indeed an error, documented in issue #50, but I’m not sure what the problem is there. Haven’t looked into it yet.

I want to thank you for you work on this. Having a native sailfish client is really important. Do you think there is any chance it could be distributed through the Jolla store?

2 Likes

My pleasure! There’s a water chance for Jolla’s harbour, but I’ll only start considering that when it’s a lot more stable and complete!

1 Like

I’d like to contribute on the QML side (I don’t speak rust) but I’ve seen your plans in issue #183. Do you even want/need contributions to the UI if the backend will radically change?

7 Likes

You’re absolutely welcome to work on the QML side! There’s a lot to do on the UI side, some of those things will require some back-end work, some are preparation for new functionality, some are things to make the UI more pleasant. Please come and have a chat in our Matrix or IRC room if you’re able to; I like to keep a very close feedback loop when we’re working on things, to make sure everyone is and stays on the same page.

Thanks for reaching out!

2 Likes

That’s great :)! I’ll setup Whisperfish and get in touch, then.

By the way: did anyone manage to use the “qmllive” tool for projects built outside QtCreator? I didn’t (yet) find a way to use a custom executable together with qmllive…

1 Like

I’ve been toying with qmllive, but haven’t been able to get it alive yet. Especially on our architecture (custom event loop and some very finicky logic on file descriptor management), it’s gonna be a pain to get it working. FWIW, I just merged this thing, which provides a script for more rapid iteration. Especially targetted for QML stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After trashing half a day with qmllive and another one fixing the build engine (which somehow broke in the process) I’m done with that ;).
Your script is nice! I actually wrote something similar for my projects when I started with SFOS. There’s no need to setup root access, we can just put everything in a user-writable location and (given that all paths are relative) it should “just work”. I managed to get it working together with a tool watching for file changes (pyinotify) - updating and restarting WF when something is changed. I’ll see if I can clean it up so others can benefit from it.

Ah, I’m sorry you lost time on qmllive; there’s at least one bug in my Tokio-Qt binding that makes it currently impossible.

The script is contributed by @ntninja, thank them instead of me! I suppose it should be possible to do it rootless indeed. Maybe you both should open a discussion on GitLab about that.

In other news: device linking has been implemented. There’s still some rough edges (failures aren’t reported, contact/group sync is unimplemented and leads to weird results), but I’ve had some positive reports so far. Next up the list: tidy up the sync, and then on to tackling the UUID, GroupV2 and SealedSender. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The good thing is that at least Signal Desktop can read Signal profiles, so you’‘re still able to see your contacts’ names and pictures on the desktop side (provided they’ve set up their Signal profile).

Yes, that helps a lot indeed. Signal profiles in WF is currently unscheduled, but I’d like to have it too in WF.

Perhaps I’m missing something really obvious, but is there a way to send an image (.jpg/etc) in a Whisperfish chat? I can’t seem to find a way to attach one in the app, and sharing from the Sailfish OS gallery app doesn’t provide a pathway.