Where to go after Sailfish?

I fully agree: for a good one-hand user experience, you need an operating system with a suitable user interface (for instance SFOS ;-)) and small enough a device. A good user interface can mitigate too large a size, though

A good alternative to SONY Open devices is of course also:

Will ask friends with Russian roots if they can bring me such a phone on their next visit to RU. :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I’m considering jumping ship and topic question is on my mind mostly for hardware.

If no budget concerns, what would you get for Android?

Fairphone 4 5G rubs me the right way, in theory, similar to what Framework is doing for laptops. But randomly finding this burn post [US] FP4, 256GB, Grey, LineageOS - #3 by const - Offer - Fairphone Community Forum really has me on the fence.

I bought the FP4 after really enjoying my Framework laptop; I didn’t spend enough time looking at this forum to realize just how different the two companies and communities are. Fairphone as a company is simply not helpful and supportive in the way that Framework is, and this forum is not the supportive community and resource that the Framework forum is. While the above problems were frustrating, the confidence I gained that they would not be fixed by Framework, and the unhelpfulness of this forum, with its giant threads, defence of Fairphone, and continual responses of “contact support” when, in almost every case, the person saying that must know that contacting support will have no real chance of helping, given past experience, was what caused me to finally be fed up with the phone.

Any SFOS expats currently on a FP3 or 4? What’s your experience like, how glitch-free is life?

Probably the Samsung Galaxy S23 Enterprise, because Samsung has promised 4 years of major Android OS updates and one year of security updates.

After some debloating / removing of programs of course, at work we give out the Samsung Galaxy XCover 5, and I see sooooooo much programs that I do not want.

If I had to choose an android to use as a main phone I would go for Galaxy S23 Ultra.
Pixels have issues, Xperia 1 V is way overpriced for the support and overall camera quality you get (for point and shoot).
I don’t consider any other Chinese or budget model as an option myself so can’t help there.

Pixels have issues

What’s your sources for keeping up to date on this claim? I’d assume some glitches also get fixed, considering Pixel flagship status.

I would stay in Sony or get a Nokia, due to what I have seen about build quality. Currently though there is no Nokia fit for my needs: I would like to have two key features such as OIS camera and SD card slot, which do really make a difference in real use. Therefore, my choice would be the Sony Xperia 1 V (you said no budget concerns).

About 10 friends with pixel 7/7Pro and a hyper active local community in telegram with 200 people.
Everyone likes the phone because most of them like to flash custom ROMs daily, but the daily jokes/screenshots are about the glitches, how many times the phone got overheated, how many dropped calls or no reception they had and how bad was the battery with “this” custom rom.

And this is not new. All pixels had some issues, but some of them are worse than others.

PS.
If you search you will find many articles like this and I see the same happening in the community too.
People that were diehard pixel users dream of the stability of iOS.

1 Like

So, they like posting about weirdness and bugs of their pixels. Ahah strange way of having fun and a phone that works. Well, why don’t they try sailfish OS? Since they’re friendly with not ordinary experience, well, they can , say have fun of the OS, but definitely spread its popularity:)

1 Like

Well I tried to convince some people actually but after seeing it everyone thinks it’s just a joke.
Can’t blame them though when most of the stuff and performance they take for granted for years, on sailfish it’s either not there at all or sub par.

1 Like

Back to the topic, soon I’ll change to this:
Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 3i 26,2 cm (10,3 Zoll, 1920x1200, Full HD, WideView, Touch) 2-in-1 Tablet (Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, Intel UHD-Grafik 600
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08D16ZY5Q/?tag=sternvgl03-21&ascsubtag=cfc979ad92b674c647e717ef98bce82e
Then I’ll install Ubuntu Linux and cinnamon desktop.

I also need a larger handbag, which of course should also look good.

How is that a phone replacement though? I thought this topic meant phones “after sailfish”.

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll have any fun with the processor. Streaming, for example on Youtube, requires a lot of processing power, for example when watching full hd. Also I would recommend you a desktop environment which supports wayland protocol like KDE or Gnome4 (as I am aware of it, cinnamon does not support wayland, but maybe I am wrong).

1 Like

It fits into a handbag.

Phones after Sailfish, have to say, no phone. So I had to expand the topic to ‘devices after Sailfish’. I forgot to mention, sorry.

You’re right, thats true.

Youtube works fine on laptop without wayland. But Jitsi doesn’t.

Yeah but I mean that it is related to the cpu power and to wayland, sorry for the confusion.

Also your desktop environment should support touch gestures (gnome and kde supports it). Be aware that there is no default virtual keyboard for input the passphrase during the boot (yet and if you encrypt your device).

1 Like

First of all, can you afford to buy one of this - respect if not - just asking

Probably is the most supported phone that they have and they will deliver with a sane pre-installation of SailFish OS. Otherwise, you might check if Ubuntu Touch will give you the user-experience you are looking for.

IMHO, about navigation pourposes for long trips expecially when you have to change the road frequently (different destinations or traffic jaim avoidance), it preferable to use a second device - expressely dedicate for that task - and your iPhone 4 can fulfill that role.

This allows you to keep your Jolla 1 phone longer or wait a little more for X10II being ready and X10II with PicoTTS should have everything you need but I am not sure that GPS navigation will be 100% working. I am working on a patch that I hope will address all the lacks about GPS.

As soon as it will be ready about fixing the point - it is almost finish, I hope - I will try in car navigation and city walking. This includes also the use of one or a couple of navigation systems.

About Xperia 10 II 64Gb, you can buy a perfect refurbished for €200 on Back market

I bought from them mine and I paid €170 for the 128Gb. Now the prices seem higher but if you wait they might return lower, possibly.

As for FP4 thoughts, posts like this don’t sound encouraging…

My FP4 still has 3 years in it, probably more. But I cannot use it. Screen dims in the sun, phone calls and video calls are a pain, camera isn’t satisfying, battery life isn’t that amazing (although A12 improved it), no notification LED or always on screen, poor vibration motor, so I miss many in the moment notifications. Many UI bugs since launch. It also has to be fair to the end user. I hope the FP5 will have a better launch. Otherwise it’s more sustainable to buy a Pixel.

Also ✏ Known reproducible and reported issues of the Fairphone 4 - Fairphone 4 - Fairphone Community Forum

1 Like

Poor product management brings to test at the expences of the end-users. Undervaluatiing this aspects (product, UX) even the best marketing and good wills bring to the hell. Sad but true.

I’m someone who doesn’t need flash features, just speed, reliability and the ability to be kept up to date. My suggestions would be Xiaomi, One Plus or Pixel phones for the sole purpose of being able to keep them up to date with custom ROMs and reducing the dependency on Google - you need to make sure the device has good community support, however.
If you pick the right device, you might get some Sailfish and UBport support too. The other option is a phone that has a potential decent Sailfish port in current development - I got sick of how slow my Xperia 10 was, I left Sailfish, only to return after buying a Sony XZ2 and having way better performance with Waydroid running in the background. Alternatively, spend the money on several second hand phones to allow you to dabble in multiple operating systems like me, haha.

Consider a /e/OS with a Murena supported smartphone. The /e/OS based on LineageOS supports a lot of devices but some of them are much better supported (Murena those).

Moreover, as far as you may interested in their cloud service offer, it is tailored for privacy and integrated with the supported smartphone at a starting reasonable price per year.

Instead, for those wants to get down to bare-metal with the Linux kernel, the Pine64 smartphone basic or pro version are the only reasonable alternatives around, AFAIK. This solution can be seen much more extreme, but for few makes sense.