Where to go after Sailfish?

nope. at the moment i am sfos free, for the first time since 5 years.
the dual boot was a nice idea and would help one on a community port missing alien dalvik.
but it did prove super unstable. would run smoothly and then suddenly freeze.
freeze needed a restart and that sometimes corrupted the dual boot.
so no fun (this is 6 month) back.
maybe was the sdcard, who knows.
i did not re-check with the adb manager guys, but at that time, they just posted that sfos may corrupt your installation
well i learned more about sideloading then i wished to.
so i flashed with e on gigaset and volla.
not unhappy at the moment.

Ok, got ya. I’m on the reverse trajectory at the moment. But I think neither of us was too happy with VollaOS?

The unfinished springboard … and with an alternate launcher looked quite basic.
/e/ is more consistent in the look and feel

but seems they really finance a bit ubports and the antbox … so am not sad about the 100 bucks on top of a gigaset

Yo, Springboard was not for me. But I wanted SFOS anyway. And yes, I’ll probably put money into Volla again just to sponsor since it’s coordinated effort.

1 Like

I have ended to have two phones. The one I like and the second I use for banking etc, where Android is needed. Previously I used old Nokia 3 as Android but it would be wise to have the latest software for those purposes. On the other hand when you break your loved phone it seems to be hard to find a suitable phone from the market for SFOS purposes. Now comes my solution. I bought the newest SFOS compatible phone Sony Xperia 10 II and use it as Android until I need to replace my old XperiaX for some reason. Hopefully software maturity problems are also solved when I need to change my phone. Of course I still have a mess with simcards etc…

2 Likes

Good news: normally, the banking apps that refuse to run on a ‘rooted’ device should be able to work normally from Sailfish 4.3 onwards. I don’t know if that’s the reason they don’t work for you, but if it is, your woes may soon be over. This was mentioned in the most recent community news: Sailfish Community News, 21st October 2021.

8 Likes

I have been using two phones for as long as I can remember, even before Sailfish. My Android backup is currently used just for apps that require Bluetooth (e. g. Torque or other OBD2 apps), for one single banking application and only to generate security tokens since it will refuse to do so if it does not detect a screen lock on Android (which I cannot set), and for a couple of apps that for some unknown reason declare themselves as incompatible with my SFOS version (but which did run on e. g. Jolla and Jolla C). And of course, to call my main phone when I cannot find it (and vice versa).

1 Like

How is your battery life on vollaphone ? With e its 3-4 days.

Ah, I’m on 1-2 days. But I’m doing a lot of development so I’m not sure. I think 2 days was the best I was getting with my just reading the news behaviour and signal/phone activity. 3-4 sounds really good!

EDIT: I did a test to see what battery usage was like without bluetooth,wifi,location and so on running and 6-7 percent battery drain overnight (ie. 7-8 hours) …

Of all the devices I’ve had only the XA2 is working without any problem at the moment. But that one is in use by my husband. I have an XA2plus, nice hardware, good screen, good sound, but the card slot is broken so I cannot expand it. And it is quite heavy. Both XA2 and XA2plus are not suitable for 64-bit.
I also bought the 10III, hoping it would be futureproof. Now there is that problem with echo-cancellation. It is so annoying that I got hands on a Nokia N9, good for making calls as GSM, but no working web, no mail, etc.
Then I revived my Jolla 1, hoping that I could use it again. The ringtone is so low that I hardly cannot hear it. Installing ‘old telephone ringtone’ does not help. It was already a problem years ago. The browser of Jolla 1 is awful, nearly unusable. So that’s no solution either.
I like Sailfish and I really want to use it, no iOS or Android for me, but what to do?
What I know now: each two years a new device with problems, that is not a good policy. Something more reliable and sustainable is needed, especially for ordinary customers.

3 Likes

You could have a look at tge unofficial ports. I don’t know if you need Android Support, if so you should look at the ones with waydroid support. On some Sony ports i think it is possible to use AlienDalvik from a supported device.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. The notification of your message emerged quickly on my Jolla 1, where I have my sim inserted at the moment! Mail on my 10 III (only wifi) is still busy with adapting. I am not tech savvy enough to port myself. I am an ordinary consumer and I choose Jolla years ago for safety and for beauty. Flashing Sailfish is the best I can. For the moment I am satisfied with what Jolla 1 offers, so no android apps. Instead I get Maps, something that should shine on every Sailfish device. I keep the device nearby, so I can hear it.
Actually I wished that Jolla started to revive the concept of Jolla 1, because hardware with the possibility to open your device and replace spare parts certainly is future-roof. I have decided not to buy a new Sony with Sailfish anymore.

3 Likes

Actually it can be possible to revive that concept, just replace Jolla 1 with Fairphone, it’s a pity we do not have an official support for those phones.

It IS possible to open and repair a Sony device! (but a little bit tricky)

1 Like

Repairability is not a feature of those devices, actually I had one repaired officially once, they fixed the problem but the back cover was “smiling” and after a while the charging port failed!

I’m very optimistic that this will be solved or even much better on next release.

Haha, yes, there has been a lot of discussion about this. A Faiphone with Sailfish means to me an ugly phone with a beautiful OS. Besides, every porting gives a lot of bugs. Jolla 1 was hardware and software from Jolla. I tink if you can have that again Jolla doesn’t have to adapt to a new device every time. But this is wishful thinking. You can by a Fairphone with /e/, but then you have a quite ugly phone with a quite ugly OS.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean that you should start to make your own port. Take a look here:

1 Like

I am using Jolla 1 now. Calling works faster than on the 10III and no echo. Of course I hope for everyone that the bugs are being solved. And after a year the process starts again…

6 Likes

Where to go after sailfish? :wink:
Yaesu

11 Likes