Where to go after Sailfish?

Not considering jumping ship ATM, SFOS serves me well and will continue to do so for quite some time. If the need ever arises, I’ll add a Punkt phone to poetaster’s list of communication options.

1 Like

Thanks for this hint! Here is the link:

(english version, also available in german and other languages)

edit: more models available on Punkt. homepage, also landline phones and other devices.
edit: MP02 has BlackBerry Secure!

3 Likes

After Sailfish I just went to … Sailfish again! Just paid for the Sailfish for my new device with the thought that I am not just buying the license but also help the company it produced it and also the hope that it will come out stronger of any difficulties has.

Cheers

4 Likes

Strangely, I have the same feeling as you. On my XA2 Plus, the UX is faster than on my 10II. At least, this is my feeling.

1 Like

I didn’t said you should leave. I never told you to do anything.

On X10 II (or anything with < 8+ GB RAM), main problem is running into swap and out of memory Low memory, apps crashing - change zram settings or add swapfile? [4.x]

Basically it’s impossible to have Browser (by far the heaviest app) open with some core Android work apps in parallel, everything grinds to a halt.

When I compare UX on stock Android on Xperia X (using it for Fitbit etc BT stuff) vs SFOS Android on X10 II, ancient Xperia X wins in responsiveness by a long shot.

Let’s look to keep performance issues in their own topics, though.

I have the impression that the running out of memory problems are exclusive to the 64 bit builds

but this is still based on Android, isn’t it?

From the spec’s:
Operating system: Custom-built proprietary OS

See here: Punkt. MP01: a basic internet free mobile phone by Jasper Morrison.

edit: OK, this was the small one. And it is only 2G.
Here is the big one, with 2, 3, and 4G:

Operating System: Apostrophy (APHY version 1.3)

yes, I searched the internet about this aphyOS and only meaningful mentioning I found was a side note in the wikipedia article about graphene OS that aphyOS would be based on the former.

“AphyOS is based on an open source version of Android, called GrapheneOS.”
(citation from here: https://www.techcircle.in/2023/01/16/swiss-startup-apostrophy-to-present-privacy-centric-android-based-aphyos-at-wef )

Furthermore: 'A number of mobile phone industry veterans working on a Swiss startup, Apostrophy, is set to present a new privacy-centric smartphone operating system, AphyOS, at the World Economic Forum in Davos. ’

2 Likes

Yes, it is based on Android. My only hope is that such a pared-down phone might remove a lot of cruft. But who knows :frowning: ? Abundant marketing + fact scarcity.

There is also the Librem 5 from Purism. Mobile Linux/Gnome/phosh is nowhere near as polished as Sailfish OS but has evolved quite nicely from its first inception. Still a way to go, though, especially when it comes to battery drain.

Fellfrosch’s rhetorical question was probably just a comment on the thread in general, not directed at you. It’s just the way of the forum software that you need to click Reply below the last post to add to the thread.

2 Likes

Than I apologize…I saw a reply to me, so I thought was addressed to me.
Thank you for clarifications.

2 Likes

It’s an annoying aspect of Discourse, and the only reason I know is I have done the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

@calinutzzz Nothing to apologize. I’ve used the wrong button.

1 Like

You are the data! Smart tvs and cars are sold because of your sexual preferences, why should smartphones be innocent? Fight for your right, safe communication… Our ancestours died too much, it is not to late

Are you sure that nobody wants partecipate to this quest? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You are so right. All that speculation leads to nothing but premature decisions. Decisions must be taken fast but not early.

3 Likes

Speculations can lead anywhere including beautiful places, if you know how do manage them.

Correct, timing is essential.

However, to take a decision fast we need to evaluate the alternative and the available options otherwise the fast decision cannot happen fast or it is a blind jump. Usually, the second.

Conclusion

Speculations about where to go after SailFish OS can be interesting because it means that people who are speculating realized that SFOS is not the way whatever Jolla does.

Speculations about where to go after Jolla Oy are useless because they missed the main point above: SailFish OS is not the answer whatever is the question.

Not for me, at least - not any release I saw up to this moment, at least because I use UNIX systems as end-user and as developer and I know what I am expecting from a such a systems and what I am not going to accept.