Where to go after Sailfish?

Poor product management brings to test at the expences of the end-users. Undervaluatiing this aspects (product, UX) even the best marketing and good wills bring to the hell. Sad but true.

I’m someone who doesn’t need flash features, just speed, reliability and the ability to be kept up to date. My suggestions would be Xiaomi, One Plus or Pixel phones for the sole purpose of being able to keep them up to date with custom ROMs and reducing the dependency on Google - you need to make sure the device has good community support, however.
If you pick the right device, you might get some Sailfish and UBport support too. The other option is a phone that has a potential decent Sailfish port in current development - I got sick of how slow my Xperia 10 was, I left Sailfish, only to return after buying a Sony XZ2 and having way better performance with Waydroid running in the background. Alternatively, spend the money on several second hand phones to allow you to dabble in multiple operating systems like me, haha.

Consider a /e/OS with a Murena supported smartphone. The /e/OS based on LineageOS supports a lot of devices but some of them are much better supported (Murena those).

Moreover, as far as you may interested in their cloud service offer, it is tailored for privacy and integrated with the supported smartphone at a starting reasonable price per year.

Instead, for those wants to get down to bare-metal with the Linux kernel, the Pine64 smartphone basic or pro version are the only reasonable alternatives around, AFAIK. This solution can be seen much more extreme, but for few makes sense.

or any other android phone with LineageOS or other de-googled custom OS and your #NextCloud so you have privacy and freedom.

1 Like

or, for even more freedom and more privacy: A #Pinephone with your #Nextcloud and with #waydroid is a mainline Linux phone and it can execute may android apps. Just like Sailfish but opensource and less polished.

1 Like

However, a sane competition fuels innovation and it would be nice that SailFish OS would be able to make a transition which brings it to be a competitor of LineageOS and its forks.

Would be nice, means that we can put this goal into our wish list but we can also happily live without a 2nd end-users option which BTW it does not exist at the moment considering the state of SFOS maintenance and delivering (here), (here) and (here).

Extreme solutions - like Pine64 smartphones and Librem PureOS approach - require no compromises. it is not and it will not for many. At least not in the near future.

However, when/where running Android apps is not a constrain then Pine64 devices are a far better solution because Open Source means the freedom to deal with the code without asking anybody’s permission among others relevant aspects like privacy and security which are a blind leap of trust when closed source software & firmware are involved into.

A quick example of this claim? Thousands of people trusted Jolla’s SFOS for years but now Jolla Oy is on the edge of a bankruptcy and deeply in debts with Russian government driven Rostelecom company.

Let me brings this to an extreme scenario, just to touch the ground.

May this elevates us - as SFOS end-users - to the status of being beloved children of Putin? Also the Ukrainians end-users? Because the SFOS updates page in Settings brings a map in blue and yellow but the reality could be a far away from that “peaceful” message.

This scenario, In the cyber-security letterature is called honey-pot, a system that attracts an keep under surveillance those are considered threats or possible threats. This scenario, in the modern war books is called false flag operation, like attack some enemies and blaming some other enemies for such action.

The white rabbit hole is much deeper than many can even imagine.

2 Likes

Scary! If I were you I would check around the corner for Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov. Might even check under the bed for Putin himself! :rofl:

If it wasn’t for the Russian money Jolla would be long gone. Obviously the Free world does not need free Sailfish OS. Otherwise EU would be pouring millions of euros in Sailfish OS. No wonder Symbian and MeeGo were destroyed within a year in favour of the right spyware. Even Merkel admitted that “partner services” were listening to her Secure phone.

5 Likes

And soon after she realized what was going on under the wood, made a public declaration about USA involvement in UA crisis but this is OT here unless it concerns privacy, security and therefore open source for granting the rights of many (also to be correctly informed).

BTW, a nasty bug that allows to take root privileges by local users with a single system call leveraging a corner case remained unseen for years in the Linux kernel and it was about:

if user = root; then

instead of

if user == root then

just a character that made such a difference! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Notice: shell scripting is intrinsecally safe respect this kind of bug/exploit. In fact, the = and == are almost equivalent in checking functionality apart bashism. For sure both do not do a variable assignation in any shell.

1 Like

Talking about the Linux kernel as if it weren’t the most important part of every Android OS… talking about “LineageOS forks” without mentioning AOSP…

what the hell is going on here?

3 Likes

Android OS which is an open source but practically unforkable project which every smartphone producer customize with their binary firmware and many with their proprietary UI gadgets/market/apps. But yes, the kernel is the most important part. If it would not exist, also the Android phones will use the same BSD-forked kernel like iOS.

Which usually is useless without the binary firmwares from the smartphone producer.

Small talks and no coding. After all, why coding for free (gratis) for sustain a proprietary OS which is delivered by a truncated image? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

interesting news:

4 Likes

Lets see how long this one lives. Data protection of US and EU are fundamentally incompatible, it’s just a matter of time when EU court will stop this as well. Polititians know it, everyone knows it.

5 Likes

Hi,

my XA2 is slowly going EOL.

Any realistic substitute? 10III hard to find and Sailfish looks pretty KO after the Russian sanctions. (As a Finn living in CH I find everything pretty dumb, but this is not a political forum).

Given that I wont sell my life to Google or iOS is Vollaphone the only realistic possible HW? I still need some very moderated Android app compatibility for parking fees mainly.

Any 07/2023 updated idea will be welcome

Best regards

gfwp (jolla 1, jolla C, sailfish XA2 user)

1 Like

I think I might be selling my BNIB X10III. Lmk if interested.

Max Schrems has the next lawsuit in a desk drawer. This will be history in 6 months to a year.

4 Likes

I’ve been fairly happy with the rephone (gigaset GS5 + more ram) … on the german ebay there’s a seller selling practically new ones for 150 euro. A good deal if you ask me.

1 Like

If SFOs is out of question you can get a pixel 7/a/pro and flash Graphene OS.
Ironically enough, pixel devices have the best selection for degoogled OSes.

5 Likes

Though apparenly developer of graphene is going crazy, judging by videos of Techlore and Louis Rossman.

1 Like

As far as I know he already stepped down.

In case you can’t find any X10 III, i can tell that SFOS on Volla really works fine.