Where to go after Sailfish? (hypothetical)

For me its clear where to go after all this devices…
nowhere else :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Richard Stallman - Don’t use Mobile Phones.

3 Likes

Yes, worth to consider but technically not 100% correct. If someone really removes or disconnect the main battery, the phone will not transmit anything very long until backup battery (if exists) is empty. Memory backup batteries are completely outdated. So I think, disconnecting the main battery should make sure that the phone is really inactive. Problem is, that people leave their phone always on, do all conversation over it and the well known chat and other services, and use speech control. Thanks for mentioning the OTA programming backdoor!

As of now i have not made a cell phone call in about a year since 3g has been "discontinued” . I have only been able to text. How ever i am able to do whatsapp calls. I am using XA2 and XA2 ultra which do not utilize volte in sailfish. So i am patiently waiting for volte in sos to be stable to get a new compatible phone. I have never used android or IOS. I’m coming from symbian to maemo to sailfish.

I dont know what i would do if there was no more sos. Go back to land line.

5 Likes

A few other OS’s for your to consider:

2 Likes

Although I have a softspot for them (Purism), the Librem 5 cost a pretty penny, not to mention the US-edition.

Call them for what they are, i.e. Android distributions.

5 Likes

Actually we’ve already been in that situation before with Maemo/MeeGo and SailfishOS emerged, maybe Mer will be resurrected? Or I have no idea :wink:

Ancient Russian wisdom says that after Sailfish there is just one option left, namely ИДИ НА ХУЙ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Sorry, couldn’t resist :wink:

Но это было хорошо :slight_smile:

Ancient Canadian wisdom says that after Sailfish, there is just one option left: smoke signals :heh:

6 Likes

I prefer doves. More accrate and multi tasking

1 Like

A bit risky, I’m thinking hawk in the middle attack…

4 Likes

I’m old fashioned. Carrier Pigeon. And I prefer standards conformance:

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with being an Android distribution, is it? As long as it’s pure AOSP and without any Google services, it’s worth considering.
Is SailfishOS a Linux distribution? Afterall, it has a Linux kernel, just like the PinePhone, Librem 5 and… Android.

Half-way through writing this i saw we’d had part of this discussion before… i really hope you are not trolling.

That depends on what you want. I can see plenty of problems with it, so the distinction definitely should be made clear, and they should not get away with simply calling themselves “”“OS”"" with no mention of Android.

It is not as bad as with browsers where the fact that basically everything except Firefox now is a Chrome clone. And if there was only those left, all standards would go out the window, much like the IE era of the late 90s and early 2000s. I don’t think the Internet could be saved again if that was to take hold.

No, for mobile OSes we are in fact already there. When was the last time you saw an app by some major service that was not for Android or iOS? Quite possibly never. Add to this the gazillion of apps that are unnecessary and should have been nothing more than webpages, but that at the same time are essential for some physical thing you bought. That might not sounds so bad for the individual user… but it does mean we (as a society) can really never leave the duopoly. I don’t want that. Competition and open standards are healthy! AAS and WayDroid are valiant efforts, but i’m sure you have seen the flood of complaints about how they are not good enough (Bluetooth, NFC, WiFI, VPNs…).

Add to this that the UI is pretty terrible, apps ridiculously huge, the general inefficiency of the OS, the fact that the security model is based on locking you out of your own device, and no meaningful shell access just to name a few.

I have little interest of hiding from google. I want a good OS and a sustainable future for tech.

Yes, yes it is.
But by nature Linux distributions are so much more diverse. They differ in core system libraries, package management, security philosophy, and perhaps most relevant to this point, desktop environment.
For the Android clones they don’t just share a kernel and happened to agree on an aspect of the other things - no, they share the entire stack. And that stack is single-source, not a huge community of independent projects.

16 Likes

There’s not much left to add to this which I agree with on every point.

The one thing I might add is that one can see with the more central control a company gains over a platform, be that an automobile or a telephone, is the ways the company is inclined to monetize the very use of the thing they sold you. Paying extra for control of the heating of car seats? Yes, and on a yearly subscription no less. WTF?!

I’m happy trying to improve on SFOS. It’s not always easy, but it’s aesthetically unmatched. Back to work.

13 Likes

No, sorry, there is no recording. It was years ago. When you want to know more about Big Tech in general you could have a look at the website of Wolfie Christi: crackedlabs.org/corporate-surveillance. He is from the University of Vienna. Concerning Google: see an article in newswars.com.au by Steve Cioccolanti: ‘Is Google Control a part of Global Deception?’ There you get a map with many companies owned by Google. By far not all of them: Calico (health) and Boston Dynamics (military robots) are not mentioned, neither is the Singularity Movement, nor ReCaptcha. Also Google’s activities such as Google Education Suite, WorkSpace are left out.
Note that Google’s aim is to collect and possess all information and the rights of it. That this makes them incredibly smart and powerful.
Some Google Engineers are transhumanist e.g. Ray Kurzweil (like Peter Thiel, Paypal and Palantir). If you want to know more about transhumanism you could search for prof. Nick Boström.
Then there is Prof. Shoshana’s Zuboff’s excellent book 'The Age of Surveillance Capitalism".

1 Like

I’m not sure I get the point. Already N900 phone was enough to cover all daily necessities. Jolla 1 was a “smartphone” but a newer device is a reasonable step up. A better readability under sunlight, good camera, louder speakers, water proof.
That said, why I should search for a continuos update of a device? Why I should “fear” my smartphone will be unusable after 5 years?

MAYBE the question shall be another: how to avoid new unnecessary needs to force us to go for Google, Apple, Whattsapp???

3 Likes

Sorry but I couldn’t resist to upload some screenshots of current scientific literature (articles) on this topic.

4 Likes