What's the point?

finally someone admitted it, no matter the OS, the machine is spying on you. not even STASI couldn’t dream of this.

1 Like

Err … My post was meant as a joke!

mr. Everett, the situation is grave.

You are proving my post to be true.
From the moment I specifically demand (from my setup and options) that I do not wish my location to be known, I expect that Google should use no mean of finding it and utilizing it. That is what I previously said. Not by IP, not by GPS, not by any mean.
And yes, this is possible, without VPN.
At the same time when my Android Google search showed my location, my Linux PC showed a location approximately 100 Km away. No VPN.
Just read the “User Agreement” for Google Android, and you 'll understand.

Big tech companies will always drain as much data as possible from their user, one way or another. That’s where they find their profit, and that’s what feeds their AI and neural network projects. You believe that this is trolling?

1 Like

I play it by rote on the saxophone. Or sing it. My record collection is 99% second hand. My hosts list is my own. My dns resolver is my own.

4 Likes

You really seem to continue shooting in the dark, don’t you? I am not proving anything about your post to be true, except maybe the fact that you’re just a dimwitted troll using such claims as “it is possible to claim location not to be known wihout VPN.” Sorry to point that out.

Read the User Agreement for Google Android? Really? Just give me a break.

This thread has turned out to be the least constructive on the entire forum. I think i’ll better do a 360 and woonwalk away.

3 Likes

YES. P L E A S E.
If you don’t want Android Support than don’t use it.
If you’re not able to judge the risks, don’t take them.
It is so easy .

2 Likes

Just this one? Man,.this thread is seriously strange.

1 Like

Die Situation ist hoffnungslos, aber nicht ernst.

1 Like

@Blumenkraft The man’s question here is basically whether using android apps in the Android App Support environment is completely privacy-safe, or if certain privacy data from the Sailfish side are given out. And the answer is that, yes, you give out a number or your data to Meta, Google, or whoever is affiliated with the apps you are using (Facebook, Messenger, Viber, Whatsapp, etc).

From that point on, its up to him whether he uses it or not. If you have any VALUABLE information, try to help him, instead of being rude and calling people names.

If you have anything to say to correct me, or anyone else in here, PLEASE do it, again, without calling names and being rude. This is what the forums are for FFS! For conversations, for ppl to be corrected and learn new info.

Btw, yes, please read the Google privacy policy. For you, it might be OK, but for others, it could be outrageous.

2 Likes

But none able to block those tracking/telemetry/“app measurement”/analytics functions. Same way as there are no settings or permissions to block advertising in apps. With just one exception: there is a setting allowing to completely block an app’s Internet access, which would block such tracking connections, but in most cases it would also badly affect that app’s main functionality, so it can hardly be considered a solution…

And authors of such apps are actually on the legal side, because they usually vaguely mention in the app’s EULA (that hardly anyone ever reads) that in exchange for being provided for free you agree that the app can collect and send “various telemetry data”. And it does, and not only when it is being used but often also triggered by events configured in the app’s AndroidManifest.xml file, e.g. its telemetry data uploading service gets started every time you enable WiFi or connect a charger…

… and there’s lack of native apps because Jolla have decided to completely ignore countless requests to provide support for commercial / paid applications. And no support for paid apps (i.e. no way to monetize one’s work) = no incentive to develop for this platform.

See the following thread on TJC (having the FOURTH highest number of votes out of 23,930 topics, so it was at the very top of popular discussions) that Jolla completely ignored and stubbornly pretended not to see accross the entire existence of the TJC website. I mean, they were regularly participating in virtually all other popular discussions but that single one, which was really strange considering that it was them who actually started it by posting in Dec 2013 the original question if people would like to have support for paid apps. But then they clearly changed their mind, to the point that they refused to ever talk about it again. Not a single comment from them until TJC got closed, i.e. six years or so.

https://together.jolla.com/question/6522/harbourstore-support-for-paid-applications/

So, after more than a decade, we have what we have.

2 Likes

I think sometimes myself too that “what’s the point” with my Sailfish phone… I’m using some Android apps on it because for example parking apps won’t work natively or on web browser.

But I regard to this as “not yet”. I have a hope that Sailfish will grow and we one day will see a change on this. Maybe cutting ties with Russia and then European instances getting involved with Jolla’s AppSupport and SFOS will result in accelerating SFOS support (as mentioned in some news that many are interested to join aboard when Russia connection is gone).

Supporting an alternative atleast gives a hope for another kind of future.
There won’t be any hope for this inside Apple’s or Google’s “gardens”.

2 Likes

finally someone is"getting it". hoping for some privacy while using Android software on sailfish is useless. why not use a phone with stock Android. ? the Russians knew it. they dropped Android support not because of money but because of privacy matters.

2 Likes

thank you, thank you!

because i was heavily balancing in why would i use sailfish if things are this way. why would i scratch at my right ear with my left hand, as we say it. I’m better off with using an Android phone. considering the constraint to use Android software ( electronic meal tickets - by law, bank software for bank account balance, ) no, these are not caprices, these are not choices, it’s a dictatorship in disguise! we had it here, we recognize it 2 ND second. and no, I’m not trolling. this is very serious. this is dictatorship. we got to the point where we don’t have a choice. this is what i believe. good understanding you could take the red pill or you could live in continuation in"freedom" just because someone it’s telling you it’s like that! this is global communism, Marxism 2.0 in disguise! yes, hard to swallow the truth, but it is what it is! mass surveillance devices.

5 Likes

Stop trolling, this kind of idea is conspiracy theory.

Android without google services is secure and privacy friendly.
There are a lot of great apps in f-droid that fill in the missing apps on sailfish, nothing forces you to be dependent on banking apps or anything else, there are always traditional alternatives with a website.

If you are so paranoid, the best solution is not Sailfish, but GrapheneOS, an Android rom…

2 Likes

are you a programmer? if not how do you know what you just stated? you could dismiss me all you want by calling me names or associate me with"conspiracy theories" and the hidden assumptions which come along with that. or you could start to see the reality. your choice. why didn’t the Russian government chose graphene os if it’s so secure? do you have head to think for yourself or the others are doing the thinking too for you? what a abominable way you have with labeling someone with " conspiracy theory" and dismissing his opinion. this is subversive and general opinion manipulative tactics at it’s best!

1 Like

SailfishOS encryption takes less than a few seconds to bruteforce and its bootloader cannot be locked.

Don’t tell us that Russia is respectful for privacy…
The EU is already flooded with russian trolls every day on all media

1 Like

you avoided the question about the russian government ! i see that when faced with irrefutable evidence you do that. some people here keep on bringing the “no money for android licence fees from russian government” matter. do you really believe a governement wich supplies gas to the whole europe doesn’t have money to pay for some android licence fees ? are you a child ?

2 Likes