What device would you get?

A smartphone with 6 Inch screen or bigger.

1 Like

I would go for the latest officially supported phone. Currently that would be Sony Xperia 10 III (but their availability is probably terrible now). Volla’s would be fine, but they are not officially supported in that sense.

4 Likes

Agree to everything.

I would buy instantly a Volla X23 with official SFOS support (which include Android support as well). I brick my VollaX during installing SFOS some months ago. Right now I am very happy with my Xperia 10 III. The only disadvantages is the battery power drain.

Anything with good coverage of North American cellular bands and volte working. As far as Sonys go, that kinda rules out the 10 III, IV, and probably V. :frowning: The 10 II is marginal, but I use it. My wife is not amused when I don’t answer the phone.

If a phone had a good camera, that’d just be gravy. All I really need is to be able to do is talk, text and use SFOS.

1 Like

10 iii is old and hard to find. It would be good if we got a new device (10 iv) in the next few months but there is not even a rumor around that and most likely i would turn a blind eye to the size -and hate every moment.

I am going mad and looking at iPhone minis or cheap dumb phones.

Mi Note 10? A little bulky, a tad older, but performance is good, camera awesome. The virtual proximity sensor… you need to forget about it. Just close the screen with the power button:D </advertising>

To the topic: I wondered the same, what device next, but from someone who had the time to try to port sailfish. I even made a scoring system for what I thought were my needs at the time.

I ended up using the objective scores and went with the Zenfone 8. The road was bumpy but there’s hope… wifi power drain, ASUS still not making unlocking of the bootloader available back…

What I discovered is that with time, the fact that the phone is small is not helping (for the eyes, you see…). Next time I will go in the 6"+ territory again, if there will be a next time.

Oh, and I miss infrared sensor from Xiaomi. Even if it is a gimmick:)

1 Like

Xperia I III ;D Would be cool to see a powerful smartphone running it

2 Likes

I can’t say that an iPhone 13 mini won’t be great, but i don’t see how it will be a sfos replacement.
Unless of course you are not happy with other stuff too.

There are many stuff that i am not happy with SFOS but for sure i will be unhappier with iOS, its ads, its weird “gestures”, its subscribe to everything model and so on. And don’t get me started on Android.

It will be a more practical device in some ways but more annoying in other.

5 Likes

How do people use non-supported devices without 5G / VoLTE support? I am really asking. I had to abandon Sailfish OS years ago due to not being able to make phone calls. I keep waiting for Jolla to come out with a phone that I can reliably use for work. I honestly don’t understand how they make any money, since the OS they sell works on hard-to-find old phones. It’s pretty strange. I am sadly getting pretty used to e/OS/.

4 Likes

In the USA the Xperia XA2/Ultra can still make and receive calls on TMobile. The Xperia 10 ii and 10 iii both have VoLTE on TMobile and most GSM-T carriers, though some have mixed results. I’m in the process of writing bindings for implementing VoLTE on the Xperia 1, which is pretty powerful and had very good support for ATT and TMobile bands in the USA. I can’t speak for what’s ideal for other countries. I hear the varoius Volla phones work well.

1 Like

Which generation of Xperia 1? Thank you!

Then maybe give it a shot and return it if it’s not for you? Worst case scenario you’ll appreciate sfos even more :smiley:

I appreciate SFOS very much and i know its strong points and limitations. Hence my reluctance to move to a different OS.

It pains me knowing that the situation is like this (both HW and SW) but there is not anything i can do.

2 Likes

I understand your point completely.
Nevertheless, I would recommend trying something else if you want to as you said.
Maybe you just need to get some frustration from other OSes so that you feel great going back to sfos :smiley:

1 Like

When my Xperia 10 II is out of 4G coverage, my GSM results have in the US have been pretty spotty, varying from no network coverage to somewhat understandable voice calling. Perhaps I should test the SIM in my old XA2 Ultra, with the caveat that T-Mobile promises – for real this time – to turn off 2G (GSM) in April 2024.

If you can get VoLTE working on any generation of Xperia 1, I’d buy one (used, new, whatever) in a heartbeat. My wife hates my “nerd phone” for not being able to reliably interrupt me on top of a ladder in any random location in North America. So I endure a lot of “criticism” for continuing to use my Xperia 10 II with its marginal coverage.

2 Likes

Can you tell more about the Vollas?

How is performance of the Volla phones compared to the Xperia 10 II and 10 III?
The Volla phones both have just 4GB of RAM, How is OOM acting? How fast do you get a GPS-Fix?
How fast are the phones booting? Are you using Multiboot? Is that working flawless?
How good is the camera (no not the selfie one, i’m not a selfie fan :wink:)
Are there some things which do not work with Sailfish? (Android support is not really important for me)

Just for Information, I’m at the moment on a Xperia 10II (coming from a Fxtech Pro1, which broke).

The phone is Ok but that’s it. Camera is quite bad in low light and unfortunately lacks of dynamic range compared to the Pro1. Overall Performance is not comparable, the Pro1 was muuuuch faster. I have fewer problems to get a GPS fix with the Sony though, but still there is plenty of space for improvement. I was hoping that t ere will be an officially supported Xperia 10 IV, but at the moment I’m not sure if there will be any new supported device and the Multiboot option with a locked bootloader is quite sexy. So I’m looking for further information.

1 Like

If you only use the phone somewhere that still has decent 2G or 3G voice service, you’re good for now. And I know there are some SFOS users that say they use some form of VOIP or proprietary internet service for voice calling.

There are rumours that the rephone is similar to volla 22 just with 6gb and working as well

1 Like

Yes, the Rephone is different on two points: 6GB RAM and a higher resolution camera. It was my daily till I discovered that videos made with the camera as faulty (far too small a resolution). So the rephone would be my choice. But for that.

I’m conservative (rarely more than 4 open apps) so I never have OOM effects.

Faster than the 10II or 10III … under ideal (ie. outside) conditions, 30-60 seconds.

Haven’t measured, but under a minute.

I do not multi but others do. I’ve been led to believe that with the VollaOS as primary it works well. @pawel.spoon might know better?

Camera on the GS5 is great. The rephone is even better. The original Volla (GS290) also had a better camera than the 10II to MY TASTE. That is, color saturation in specific part of the spectrum. The rephone camera is even better but sadly I haven’t got a fix on fixing video yet. BLE (like for smart watches) does not work on the volla, volla22 (or rephone) but does on the x23.

I may, to support Volla (though I HATE VollaOS) buy a Volla x23. Which is now @piggz daily driver. Trust the porter? @piggz, I assume video recording on the x23 works well?

1 Like