WayDroid on SFOS?

ok, btw is there any time.sleep() I should do? I mean that should I wait for some time after trying to start an app after starting the services?

Think so. Takes a minute for waydroid to load after starting session.

Does the full waydroid UI work properly?

Also, you cannot open the same app consecutively after closing it, there won’t be any UI but only a spinner if you tried. Either open some other waydroid app or you have to execute the command “waydroid prop set waydroid.active_apps none” and give it a few seconds before opening the same app again to get UI.

Clicking the waydroid app icons execute a command similar to “waydroid app launch com.android.settings”. You could try running it from terminal and check if app opens. This one opens waydroid settings. Waydroid session have to be running when you try it.

2 Likes

100% AGREE! :slight_smile:

Just uninstalled it today on my Android phone!

It’s sad how companies ruin perfectly fine working software that was waaaay better than all the alternatives! :cry: :confused:

Hello,

I read the whole thread but as I’m not a pro in compiling and dealing with scripts, may I ask if there is a newbee-friendly guide for installing waydroid on my sailfish phone? I love sailfish os, but I just need some Android apps as well. Since there is no aliendalvik upgrade for Xperia X, WayDroid seems to be a good Replacement.

So maybe you can help me… What exactly do I have to do to installwayDroid and get it running (idiot-friendly^^)?

THX very much :slight_smile:

If I ubderstand it right from previous discussions, Waydroid may not work by default on Xperia X unfortunately.

Nevertheless, the easiest way would be to install Chum GUI and install Waydroid and Waydroid Runner from there.

You would still need to run a command from terminal for waydroid initialisation before you could run it. This step downloads and sets up Waydroid image files. That would be “devel-su waydroid init”.

Is it possible to update the Gemini Kernel and run Waydroid then?

If you can build kernels… I think it’s just one flag.

Check this post, and a little before and after - maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Full linux distros on Sailfish OS

e.g.
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1568649&postcount=23

I don’t know if I should make a new thread or not. I explain:

I installed waydroid(-runner) on an XA2 DUAL following the github page.
Installation went good. Small a difference with the github readme: reboot was needed before being able to waydroid init.

Question: when I try to start it from the app grid, it spins forever (tried 5 minutes) saying it is starting but does not start.

Also, the browser seems not to find the internet connection any more since WD installation.

I was about to restore a backup of my system as I have no idea of where to search to solve this browser issue.
But maybe will it be an evidence for one of you.

Try this:

From here: https://github.com/sailfishos-open/waydroid

Thanks, yes I installed from this page and tried this.
But have to do my homework. Read the pages/wiki provided here and try on a fresh install…

Hi,
Well I didn’t succeed fully. Container and session start, but not the UI part.
I reflashed, reinstalled storeman + chum, waydroid and waydroid-settings, downloaded with waydroid,init. I set it to start at boot.

When I launch WD from the app grid, it spins for a while (cover) and disappears.

So, if I reboot and do:
# waydroid status gives:

Session: RUNNING
Container: RUNNING
Vendor type: MAINLINE
Session user: defaultuser(100000)
Wayland display: …/…/display/wayland-0

# systemctl status waydroid-container gives:

output

● waydroid-container.service - Waydroid container
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/waydroid-container.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-02-18 23:43:11 CET; 6min ago
Main PID: 5966 (python3)
Memory: 9.6M
CGroup: /system.slice/waydroid-container.service
├─5966 python3 /usr/bin/waydroid container start
├─6007 dnsmasq --conf-file=/dev/null -u nobody --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/run/waydroid-lxc/dnsmasq.pid --listen-address 192.168.250.1 --dhcp-range 192.168.250.2,
192.168.250.254 --dhcp-lease-max=253 --dhcp-no-override --except-interface=lo --interface=waydroid0 --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.waydroid0.leases --dhcp-authoritative
└─6009 waydroid-sensord /dev/hwbinder

Feb 18 23:43:11 XperiaXA2-DualSIM systemd[1]: Started Waydroid container.
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: started, version 2.86 cachesize 150
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus no-UBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth no-cryptohash no-DNSSEC loo
p-detect inotify dumpfile
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq-dhcp[6007]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.250.2 – 192.168.250.254, lease time 1h
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq-dhcp[6007]: DHCP, sockets bound exclusively to interface waydroid0
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: using nameserver ::1#53
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: using nameserver 127.0.0.1#53
Feb 18 23:43:12 XperiaXA2-DualSIM dnsmasq[6007]: read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses

waydroid app launch com.android.settings gives:

[00:01:25] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again…

I didn’t touch dnsmasq as container starts. (But uncommenting #bind-interfaces in
/etc/dnsmasq.conf + rebooting didn’t solve either)

EDIT: I apologize. Realized that the “hide details” is not working in the Forum reader app, making a huge horrible list.
So I moved the output of waydroid logcat here.

Try manually in terminal. Once gou get waydroid status “running”, type

• waydroid show-full-ui

Hmm, it says repeatedly
Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...

Although container + session are said running,
If I do

'# waydroid container start

as root, and then in another term as user, I do

$ waydroid show-full-ui

The output is

[06:43:12] Starting waydroid session
[06:43:12] XDG Session is not “wayland”
[06:43:14] Failed to start Clipboard manager service, check logs

Not the first time I see this complain about “wayland”…

Then, waydroid log, as user, outputs (rm’ed dup. lines):

EDIT: I apologize. Realized that the “hide details” is not working in the Forum reader app, making a huge horrible list.
So I moved the output of the log here.
/EDIT

I have been searching about this Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again... on the net. They talk about something related to sensors but I don’t figure out the whole mechanics enough to imagine the way to go.

Do you have Waydroid sensor package installed?

also, have you checked waydroid log? Maybe post it here …

Jeez. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve been in Michigan. Sometimes a map is not just a map.

Looks to me that a service isn’t starting in the logcat, audioflinger? Do you happen to use Matrix or Telegram. If yes, might be worth joining the waydroid channel and asking there.

@Levone1 Yes, the logs are linked in my previous post. Sensors pac is installed.

@lal Ok, I’ll see how I can manage this.

To clarify, I could use, of course AD. I have it installed on two other XA2 but am very curious about libre/open/community projects.

Many thanks for your answers.

Does waydroid lives along AppSupport/AD?
Would be nice to contain some apps in a different android-world.

Can you repost the logcat … possibly logcat will show unable to connect to vibration service, which is normally disabled. On supported ports, we enable it, so you may need to do the same.

1 Like