VoLTE support planned for 2022!

VoLTE is planned for 2022. Isn’t that good news (although Jolla already was hinting to it in other threads now I consider it kind of 'official’j
)? I am excited! Got this from Jolla’s birthday party today in Berlin.

Thank you sailors, for the party and the announcement!

22 Likes

Can someone answer if its going to be an open source solution or proprietary (which will mean ports will have problems supporting it -or at least require work)

3 Likes

It’s mentionned in the presentation (video at Facebook here, around min 38).

6 Likes

Hopefully not only for the then newest reference system (Xperia 10III) but also the older ones too!!!

6 Likes

But wouldn’t it be ironic to have VoLTE support only in a 5G phone, and no VoNR there!

3 Likes

“You must log in to continue.” - great, so no video for me then, do people <60yo still use facebook these days? :laughing:

9 Likes

No worries, I think VoLTE is the fallback for VoNR :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But seriously, if VoLTE signaling is implemented AFAIK the additions they have to make to support VoNR are quite straightforward. (Also VoWIFI should be feasible then.)

3 Likes

They mention support for X10ii in the video. I guess more details could be asked in the next iirc meeting.

3 Likes

I’m intrested what implementation Jolla will use.
I think of these 3 scenarios.

1. Jolla use or develop some open source IMS stack.
  2. Jolla has licensed or developed closed source IMS stack.
  3. Jolla plan to use same IMS stack that phone uses with AOSP and Android.

I think that only in scenario 1. stack is available for Xperia X and Xperia XA2.

3 Likes

IMO Jolla would be wise to follow the guidance for an OpenSource implementation (your “scenario 1”) which was nicely evaluated per “VoLTE support in SailfishOS? - #235 by NodaUK” for “Ubuntu Touch” / UBports (which has a very similar architecture as SailfishOS): https://www.jeroenbaten.nl/UT-VoLTE-proposed-technical-architecture.pdf
E.g., your “scenario 3” was not positively evaluated in that analysis.

As there were a couple of choices to make (as documented back in July 2021) for UBports, IMO it does make sense trying to look up, how that story continued (further documentation and implementation in public repositories).

4 Likes

Glad to hear it, although 3g is supposedly gonna be phased out on my carrier sometime in early 2022, so I hope that VoLTE comes in very early 2022.

2 Likes

Ya, any possibility to get the video cross-posted anywhere less social-media-ish? I’d love to see it, but Defender (intentionally, for my sanity) routes all known social media requests to 127.0.0.1 (“All your IP are belong to localhost! Ha Ha Ha” :wink: )

7 Likes

UT-VoLTE propose, lacks SRVCC support. Missing SRVCC is ok network is 4G(/5G) only, but if network contains 2G or 3G basestations then problems may come. I think that SRVCC is hardpart for open source implementation and big part of it’s code will be modem specific.

1 Like

Less social-media-ish place to watch the Jolla 10 year anniversary presentation video:

3 Likes