VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

Discovered recently that my android (Blackview 9900 pro) does VoWifi as well as VoLTE, with my provider (2dregrees)

I now consider VoWifi essential, as for the first time ever I have coverage throughout my house, and pretty reliably too. (better than VoLTE, and way better than 3G has become)

So (for me) VoWIFI should absolutely be a co-priority when adding VoLTE.

4 Likes

Give tello a try and see if you have any success.

3G coverage is okee but not great though and I encounter more and more corners, where I cannot do phone calls. VoLTE would really be a blessing…

That’s the catch. You may have a drop dead date 6 months, a year, or two years from now but that doesn’t mean that in the interim that carriers aren’t going to be degrading the service between now and the shutdown date. They most certainly will.

Rolling out VoLTE has become a survival issue for the platform itself.

8 Likes

I just received a sunset message from my provider for 2G and 3G networks in my country though it is still a while in the future for me that also changes VoLTE from “nice to have” to “mandatory”.

I guess we’ll need to add this to the next community meeting.

3 Likes

People have been talking about this since at least 2011 with Jolla. It was on the roadmap for a while then was dropped.

Now Jolla says they will implement it, but I will believe it when I see it.

I’ve had success with Mint Mobile and Ting. I use Mint as my primary carrier (SFOS 4.3 on Xperia XZ2) in the US, and I’ve never had significant issues. I paid $180 for a year of service, unlimited talk/text and 4GB LTE. After 4GB it’ll slow down to 3G speeds, so it’s essentially “unlimited” anyway. Mint also has a trial SIM you can purchase from Amazon, which gives you 250MB data, 250 minutes, 250 texts for a 7-day trial.

I have a Ting SIM in my opnsense router with a PCIe aircard, as an automatic failover in case my primary Internet connection goes down. Every time I’ve needed it, it has worked great.

Both are cheap enough to get an intro plan for travel, and cancel as needed.

There are also preloaded options with MVNOs like Lycamobile. Buy the card/SIM at a convenience store/pharmacy and pop it in when you’re ready to use it, dial 613 and it’ll activate. I think they usually last 90 days.

Hope this helps.

Edit: as an FYI, I’ve used all three of these on my SFOS phones.

4 Likes

When have they stated this?

As far as I recall it was supposed to be “coming soon” even on the JP1 but never materialized, at the time I didn’t care since (Vo)LTE would guzzle battery compared to 2G/3G, but I have not heard it mentioned in recent years.

AFAIR it was promised (mentioned) on the 10th birthday event of SailfishOS/Jolla in Berlin.

Let’s see when it will be available and whether this will be available for all phones, just several (newer) phones or just one (new) model.

2 Likes

They will also send you Ryan Reynolds cutouts for Christmas :grin:

1 Like

Haha is that true? If so, I can’t wait! :rofl:

Sadly just tiny ones for now, but still :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s hilarious. You have to give it to him… his unique comedic style carries over into marketing. Unusual, but effective nonetheless. I hope I get one this year!

Thanks for sharing!

Well, Ryan Reynolds owns that firm: Ryan Reynolds Purchases Ownership Stake in Mint Mobile

Yeah I knew that much. I just didn’t realize they passed out cutouts. :smiley:

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 21-34-51 Bring Your Own Phone Plans BYOP SIM Card Mint Mobile

Not encouraging for MintMobile

1 Like

https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/

Same for Sony Xperia X

“upgrade your phone to one that is 4G LTE, and VoLTE friendly before you join Mint.”

1 Like

T-Mobile is apparently whitelisting phones (like AT&T has, for a long time).
i got a new simcard for my wife, and the rep could NOT make it work in Xperia XA2 or Xperia X or Xperia X compact (on android).
older simcards continue to work in these devices with LTE/3G/2G service.

so, even if jolla adds VoLTE, it looks like sailfish is essentially over RIGHT NOW in the United States. MVNOs might be able to support it, but probably not.

can anyone confirm if they are able to get any SFOS device working for a newly signed up Mint Mobile plan?

1 Like

Just to keep people in the loop, this what was mentioned in the most recent meeting.

" #info The initial target is to enable VoLTE for Sony Xperia 10 II and III. We have been working on brand new telephony adaptation with the first priority to get on the feature parity with the existing devices. The work has been progressing steadily and the target is still to get VoLTE out during early 2022."

So there is a first step being worked on now.
About other devices and VoWifi, that will be considered after a first working implementation.
Please be aware that the word ‘target’ is not the same word as ‘promise’ :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think most folk here realise and accept that Jolla’s target dates are a bit like elastic bands - stretchy and sometimes break completely.

6 Likes

Mudita say that the Mudita Pure featurephone (a) supports VoLTE and (b) has an open source OS (MuditaOS) based on FreeRTOS.

The link above it to a Github page which has

(a) A Licence.md

MuditaOS is licensed under GNU GPLv3.

(b) a list of Key Feature that includes

VoLTE and internet tethering support

I can’t tell quickly, but if an Open-Source VoLTE stack is available, that might help things along…

3 Likes