VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

Concerning roaming in a different country this is true. But speaking of Europe (read: Germany) you are not allowed to book into the network of Telekom with a Vodafone card of the same country and vice versa and so on.
SIM from other countries can of course.

1 Like

???
afaik there is only a built-in account in SFOS, thats all. Some more libraries to be installed but no possibility to dial out, neither as GUI nor from CLI

I do know about the relative new app S1P but it does not work for my SIP providers (linphone, Fritz)

So could you please tell us what and how do you mean with above quote?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve meant s1p. I’m sorry if it’s not working for you with linphone (you should report the issue) but I’ve heard it should work with FritzBox if you mean that one.

3 Likes

Oh, could be that I only tried directly with my internet / SIP provider. As I just checked configuration of my Fritz and no phone is accessible from the internet.
Will have to retry soon…

1 Like

Is VoLTE already (semi)implemented in SailfishOS for the Gemini PDA?
What is the file /vendor/lib/volte_imsm.so ment for?
There are several volte related bins such as volte_stack, volte_ua and volte_imcb in /system/vendor/bin.
These do not exist on my Xperia XA2.
Maybe the only thing missing to get VoLTE on the gemini is a patched ofono stack?
Any thoughts, anyone?

1 Like

2 day ago @slava wrote on irc channel “which reminds me that we still don’t support volte :|”

it’s about ofono.

whole conversation is here https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/logs/%23sailfishos-porters/%23sailfishos-porters.2020-08-03.log.html

3 Likes

Is VoLTE already (semi)implemented in SailfishOS for the Gemini PDA?
What is the file /vendor/lib/volte_imsm.so ment for?
It doesn’t exist on my Xperia XA2, though.

2 Likes

Before people get their hopes up too high I would like to mention that VoLTE is made out of many different parts and all this built-in support mentioned to be already implemented inside modems (e.g. PinePhone) may only mean to be some low-level network signalling stuff on which the actual voice carrying protocols are supposed to run.

1 Like

Well, there appear to be not only implemantations on the hardware site, but also on the software site already present on the Sailfish release for the Gemini PDA, including init scripts and binaries.
It’s possible to invoke those manually (without any effect or output to the command line, though). Probably difficult to utilize those without any documentation, but I guess it’s save to say they are already there (and don’t segfault when invoked).
However, I guess it is probably a better solution to integrate VoLTE through the SIP integration rather to a standalone app, but still it may be possible in an app (which needs to integrate deeply in the system, e.g. to disable 2G/3G fallback for voice calls).
I guess the libs and bins mentioned above are device specific, since they are not present on sfos on my xperia. Therefore currently only an option to play around with those on a Gemini PDA (or other MTK devices with sfos, if there are any).
Overview about the VoLTE related files:

2 Likes

I would not say it can’t be done but I guess I just take the lazy route and use plain old SIP with a data-only SIM card.

VoLTE is still on their roadmap as mentioned

4 Likes

Sure your App is great in either case!
However, I’d personally prefer VoLTE since I have an unlimited plan, plus I’m often traveling to rural sites with poor 2G only coverage. SIP is not an option there. To make it worse, my provider seems to have switched some sites from 2G only to 4G only, leaving me unable to make calls at all (except for e.g. Whatsapp or SIP).
I guess the need for VoLTE is already there and it’s getting urgent…

4 Likes

While I fail to understand why VoLTE should work where SIP would not be an option I don’t mean it would not be nice for Jolla to implement VoLTE, just that I would not hold my breath.

No. In 2G networks, I can do plain old CSD calls (and SIP is not really an option even in 2,5G (EDGE) networks. When moving into the next cell, let it be 4G only, the call would be cut off without VoLTE. I could, of course, use SIP then (with a different number though), but once I leave the 4G cell again into another 2G cell the call would be cut off again, and I’d have to redial through CSD. This szenario is not that seldom particularly when driving by car.

1 Like

That’s, of course, as long as 2G and 3G are still around. I don’t want to claim for it to be a solution for everyone but what I’ve been doing for years was to just use my SIP number for basically everything and forward the call to 2g/3g in case the SIP client was not reachable. It was still not ideal (means manually rejecting SIP calls on 2G where SIP would still work but RTP wouldn’t) but, well, it was the era of people getting ripped off by inflated roaming charges so this was something that paid itself off rather quickly. Right now I don’t even bother forwarding calls any more because of the excellent 3G/4G + wifi coverage pretty much wherever I go. Also the number of voice calls I receive seems to have decreased significantly over the years with most of them being telemarketers anyway.

1 Like

…they better find a way to undelete it if they don’t want to see their operating system reach the end of life in early 2022 as carriers force everyone onto VoLTE.

3 Likes

In Russia? That’s where it counts.

3 Likes

I watched the stream earlier of the Ubuntu Touch Q&A 82, and the first topic to be discussed was the collaboration of UBPorts, Jolla, and Sony to get VoLTE working on the Sony open devices. While I wish there was more information conveyed, it at least indicated that the work is happening, even if it’s going to take time.

9 Likes

Considering SFOS is open source. Are there any developers who can create a ‘patch’ for VoLTE, or is this part of the proprietary bits, or just too difficult to implement? Sorry speaking as a complete layman on the matter.

Are there any other alternatives to SFOS if VoLTE is not implemented within a few months (by 2021)?

While there are some bugs and quirks, I do like SFOS, and it does continue to improve with each build. So it would be kind of sad for me to leave it, and sad for them to lose all of us - essentially Beta testers who bought their OS.

no ‘patch’ is possible, yes VoLTE/IMS is implemented in proprietary firmware (e.g.: in modem.bin) and requires support from Sony

alternatives to SFOS include burying your phone in the dark of night, setting your phone on fire, or launching it into space on a trajectory that will carry it out of the solar system.

though i also hear LOS 17.1 works with VoLTE on the XA2, so it doesnt seem totally hopeless

1 Like