VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

It’s in this link to the FCC website that I previously posted.

T-Mobile did announce a date, then retracted it - I believe due rules set by the FTC that allowed the Sprint merger to go ahead. Essentially they were supposed to not switch off 2g/3g so that Dish could have time to build out their own network to become the 4th carrier in the US - that was certainly part of the merger agreement with the FTC.

I assume they’re shutting down Sprint’s 2g/3g network as they’re CDMA, not GSM based - so it’s irrelevant to the vast majority of Sony phones which are all GSM based bar the select few models that Verizon have offered.

T-mobile 3G ends October 1, per: The big T-Mobile and Sprint 2G / 3G shutdowns are coming — and we have new information

2 Likes

For an illustration of the difficulties around producing a FLOSS implementation of VoLTE, the linked technical overview (pdf) gives some good background:

sysmocom - systems for mobile communications GmbH: Ubuntu Touch VoLTE Investigation - Revision v1 - July 22, 2021

4 Likes

Not at all applicable. Stop trying to “find” something that works. This has to be programmed.

now that a 5G device is soon to be supported, this is getting more inevitable that VoLTE needs to be brought forward .

Good news @gaidheal VoLTE support planned for 2022!

5 Likes

I hope Jolla follow through this time, given it has been on the roadmap before

1 Like

So if I’m a tourist in US and need “better price than roaming” mobile data-only SIM for Xperia 10 II Dual SIM, what product can I use?

Already failed with Ultra Mobile, since it turned out they (on T-mobile) require VoLTE, which landed me on this massive thread.

I’ve seen USMobile mentioned a couple of times. Anybody here using any data-only SIMs right now?

both tmobile and at&t both appear to be whitelisting now.
new tmobile SIMs deactivate after a few min in a sailfish device. old SIMs continue to work.

I use Straight Talk, an MVNO that resells AT&T. I use a regular bring-you-own-device voice and data flat rate plan, but I believe that they call the data only service a “wireless internet plan for tablets and hotspot devices”

BTW: With my Xperia 10 II, services drops from 4G to 3G when receiving/answering a call. It’s getting a little dodgy these days, since 3G coverage is degrading with the impending shutdown. That Sailfish VoLTE can’t come soon enough.

3 Likes

Discovered recently that my android (Blackview 9900 pro) does VoWifi as well as VoLTE, with my provider (2dregrees)

I now consider VoWifi essential, as for the first time ever I have coverage throughout my house, and pretty reliably too. (better than VoLTE, and way better than 3G has become)

So (for me) VoWIFI should absolutely be a co-priority when adding VoLTE.

4 Likes

Give tello a try and see if you have any success.

3G coverage is okee but not great though and I encounter more and more corners, where I cannot do phone calls. VoLTE would really be a blessing…

That’s the catch. You may have a drop dead date 6 months, a year, or two years from now but that doesn’t mean that in the interim that carriers aren’t going to be degrading the service between now and the shutdown date. They most certainly will.

Rolling out VoLTE has become a survival issue for the platform itself.

8 Likes

I just received a sunset message from my provider for 2G and 3G networks in my country though it is still a while in the future for me that also changes VoLTE from “nice to have” to “mandatory”.

I guess we’ll need to add this to the next community meeting.

3 Likes

People have been talking about this since at least 2011 with Jolla. It was on the roadmap for a while then was dropped.

Now Jolla says they will implement it, but I will believe it when I see it.

I’ve had success with Mint Mobile and Ting. I use Mint as my primary carrier (SFOS 4.3 on Xperia XZ2) in the US, and I’ve never had significant issues. I paid $180 for a year of service, unlimited talk/text and 4GB LTE. After 4GB it’ll slow down to 3G speeds, so it’s essentially “unlimited” anyway. Mint also has a trial SIM you can purchase from Amazon, which gives you 250MB data, 250 minutes, 250 texts for a 7-day trial.

I have a Ting SIM in my opnsense router with a PCIe aircard, as an automatic failover in case my primary Internet connection goes down. Every time I’ve needed it, it has worked great.

Both are cheap enough to get an intro plan for travel, and cancel as needed.

There are also preloaded options with MVNOs like Lycamobile. Buy the card/SIM at a convenience store/pharmacy and pop it in when you’re ready to use it, dial 613 and it’ll activate. I think they usually last 90 days.

Hope this helps.

Edit: as an FYI, I’ve used all three of these on my SFOS phones.

4 Likes

When have they stated this?

As far as I recall it was supposed to be “coming soon” even on the JP1 but never materialized, at the time I didn’t care since (Vo)LTE would guzzle battery compared to 2G/3G, but I have not heard it mentioned in recent years.

AFAIR it was promised (mentioned) on the 10th birthday event of SailfishOS/Jolla in Berlin.

Let’s see when it will be available and whether this will be available for all phones, just several (newer) phones or just one (new) model.

2 Likes

They will also send you Ryan Reynolds cutouts for Christmas :grin:

1 Like

Haha is that true? If so, I can’t wait! :rofl: