Volla Installation guide

Thanks so far for all your help. I’ll send it back in to pro repair. Must be a hardware defect. I’m flashing since 2012 and never had so much trouble. Let’s see. But then I get it back with Android 12 again, I need a new method to flash sailfish. Otherwise new rephone are not flashebal with sailfish. The rephone is worth it to be supported for a longer time, would be nice and sustainable. Good thing that I have 2 working nicely.

1 Like

My new Rephone is on Android 12 i have installed a GSI Image
https://github.com/MisterZtr/RisingOS_gsi/releases

works perfect

1 Like

With the Gigaset GX4 (not PRO), de-bricking worked with SPFlashToolV6 only to restore the bootloader. Afterwards, flashing different operating systems worked without problems. It is further described here: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/the-volla-x23-gx4-thread/15726/91

Thank you for your stories. They helped a lot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,

I am trying to follow the steps, but I get the following error:

product: k69v1_64_k419
Sending ‘boot_a’ (32768 KB) OKAY [ 1.401s]
Writing ‘boot_a’ OKAY [ 0.578s]
Finished. Total time: 2.080s
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::out_of_range’
what(): basic_string::compare: __pos (which is 496) > this->size() (which is 0)
./flash.sh: línea 38: 1367 Abortado (`core’ generado) fastboot flash super super.img
flash super error

I have VollaOS 12-20240202 installed.

thank you very much

hmm i have the dark feeling that i did experience that one too, but it is years ago, if at all
are you running the script on linux, windows, mac ?

search in the forum for:
basic_string::compare: __pos

and you will find some hits for other volla or gigaset devices, as the porter and the scripts are very similar, they may help you

2 Likes

Which device was that? GS5 ?

Did you wipe the user data and cache partitions (in recovery)?

1 Like

I’m using Fedora, I will follow your search instructions…

Thank you very much!

yes, GS5

I have deleted everything…

Thank you very much!

If I recall correctly, I had the same or a similar problem. Check your platform-tools / fastboot version. I have fastboot version 33.0.3-8952118 installed myself while my package mananger has installed fastboot version 34.0.4-android-tools.

Might be a bug in the more recent version.

Good luck

1 Like

was already weighing that probability.

I think that’s the problem…

thank you very much

Hello,

I am trying to install waydroid by following GitHub - sailfishos-open/waydroid: Waydroid packaging for Sailfish OS but I have not been able to get it to work.

Is it possible to get it working?

I install the packages following another thread where they indicate to do it through Chum.

@jmdlpino I can provide what I did successfully on my Volla:

You have to install packages from Chum - waydroid and waydroid-runner.

Then install from terminal -
$ devel-su
# zypper in waydroid-gbinder-config-hybris

Then as devel-su:
# vi /etc/gbinder.d/anbox-hybris.conf

Change aidl2 to aidl3, (appears 4 times in the file)

Save file.

# waydroid init

edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf to uncomment the following line (Volla, 4.4.0.72: line 124):
#bind-interfaces
# vi /etc/dnsmasq.conf

systemctl disable --now dnsmasq

Then reboot and start waydroid

Many thanks to @Sheigorath , who gaves me this hint long time ago.

And: NEVER update Waydroid if it reports an available OTA update. This may work a few times, but sooner or later it will break the system and even if it works it brings nothing.

1 Like

Exactly, stick with a working image

1 Like

Sorry,

I had high hopes with your instructions, because I was missing the step of modifying the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file.

I thought the problem was there.

But when I run it, it stays on the “Starting Android session/Waiting for Android UI” screen.

I have to clarify that I’m running SailfishOS from Boot Manager…

Thank you very much for your help.

When i had your issue, i had to use an older image. If you search my posts, you might find the description. Usually i do note evrything down.

The thing is: based on installation time you might endup with different image, some work, some not. At least my experience

1 Like

It is in gs290 installation thread

check my posts, somewhere i had issues with space then image

1 Like

I am using 4.4.0.72

you mean using older versions?

Thank you.

no

Older version of waydroid image or better the image of os running in waydroid i think it is.
if you would read my posts, you would see that i do init waydroid with an specified image version not with default.
if you run just waydroid init it will take some current vanilla android version i think.
i did download an older, working version and told waydroid to init with that.

i would suggest that you comment on my posts in the other thread, cause that i do not need to jump between them, might be easier for us

2 Likes

so while this post wont help you, it shows that i actually did download the image separately and then did waydroid init with the option to specify the path to downloaded image

problem is: i did switch my laptop and doubt to more details available on the topic.
but if you would check waydroid init options you could start from there, same as i did

ok i did find two download adresses:
https://master.dl.sourceforge.net/project/waydroid/images/vendor/waydroid_arm64/lineage-17.1-20220514-HALIUM_10-waydroid_arm64-vendor.zip?viasf=1

https://master.dl.sourceforge.net/project/waydroid/images/system/lineage/waydroid_arm64/lineage-17.1-20220514-VANILLA-waydroid_arm64-system.zip?viasf=1

i assume this is it, my working images … that’s all i can do for you
hope that helps

3 Likes

thank you very much.

more than grateful.

1 Like