Tuning the oom killer / low memory killer

My girlfriend has got a 10 iii and she says that only occasionally android support is crashing. Maybe this is because i installed play services, which made android support pretty much useless on my 10 ii. It needed literally 5mins to start an android app and then it was very slow. I use microg on my 10 ii now which is way more lightweight. It only adds maybe 1min to start of android support and then the apps are quite usable. Also encryption was too much for the 10 ii, where it sometimes or rather more often hang when decrypting the filesystem after a boot, i needed about 10 tries to boot the phone, which was very frustrating. With the 10 iii it just decrypts without a problem every time. Although there are some other things i don’t like about the 10 iii. That the triple camera support can not be enabled if you want to take selfies or the other way round. Also 10 iii uses only one of the two speakers, where the 10 ii uses both, although i could live with those two. Then often sound is disappearing for her on the 10 iii, which is quite frustrating during a phone call. I made a script, which you have to start after boot to restart sound with the assistant button, but she likes it more to run the command in qcommand, which i think takes more time. Also i would restart sound before every phone call and test it. This bug makes her very frustrated towards sfos. And then finally what i don’t like so much is that one cannot use a usb dac headset entirely on the 10 iii, whereas on the 10 ii i can use it for audio, but not for phone calls, which seems to be a bug in the whole os.

1 Like

So i like my 10 ii very much with the oled display, as it is, but i guess the best experience would be with an xa2 or this rugged volla phone with the highest amount of ram and the equivalent gigaset phone. I hope 10 iv and v will change things here.

I think this is clearly a software problem. I run SFOS 4.5 on a XA2 ULTRA (4G Ram) and observe OOM actions almost never, despite running several Android apps and browser with mutiple tabs (browser crashes sometimes, but appearently has nothing to do with high load)

1 Like

I got the same feeling, almost no OOM on xz3 with 4GB RAM compared to frequent ones on 10iii.

quick side note: if you use OpenCamera in android, and just be careful not to switch to the broken upside-down-selfie lens, selfies and telefoto+wide lenses can be used without issue

Well maybe it is a bug on the 10 II, but it would be nice if it was fixed. The device is indeed more or less useless and i am not sure i can trust in others being better, or trust in that for the future.

The boot hang with crypt is super annoying. The trick is to just wait before entering the code and hitting return. I bet some entropy problems in that kernel or in the service files deps where the lockscreen comes up before the random generator comes.