The sounds of incoming calls, SMS, notifications disappear

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): every day
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10 II DualSIM
UI LANGUAGE:russian
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Once a day, the sounds of incoming calls, SMS, notifications disappear. Very annoying, missed important calls several times. I constantly have to monitor the operation of sounds and applications in the settings, and as soon as I find an error, I have to restart the phone.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

The problem is solved by restarting SFOS

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

4 Likes

Happened to me yesterday as well. At some point incoming calls and messages stopped triggering the ringtone sound and the screen. Reboot fixed it. Never happened in older versions, happened first time in 4.3.0.

Maybe who knows, it is possible to fasten a script that will track sound notifications and, in case of absence, restart a certain service?

I found it in another similar topic, where instead of reboot, they offer to perform

systemctl --user restart pulseaudio

or

devel-su pkill adsprpcd

in my case did not help.
Any other ideas?

Why developers are silent. After all, this is a very critical mistake! Or is this forum just for users?

Presumably because it is super rare (basically only you), and no logs were provided.
Try the zendesk if you want a reply - but odds are they will just ask for logs, because what else could they do?

attah
What kind of magazines and how to collect them can you write? I have now reproduced the error again, just have the opportunity to collect information.

Journalctl (remember to be root).

Just experienced this bug myself. On Xperia 10 III running 4.4.0.64. No phone call sounds, no alarm sounds, no notification sounds … Nothing.

Reason I noticed it was I had an alarm set to remind me of a meeting I had to go to that went off, but with no sound only a vibration.

So having read about thus bug then tried ringing my phone … No sound. Then tried sending myself a Telegram message from another device … No sound. Then tried an SMS from my wife’s phone … No sound.

A reboot brought the sound back, but obviously the issue is that you don’t know that you have missed something until, well, you miss something - and then its too late!

XA2 4.4.0.64 flashed.
This happens to me sometimes too.
No sound when SMS arrive and no notifications on the lockscreen or on the…well… where the weather forecast is. nothing telling me I had a message.
I didn’t think of trying to call my phone. I’ll try next time.
No idea yet what that could be related to.

This odd behaviour seems to be GPS related.

In my case, it is not about music, video or phone sound.
It is just the absence of notifications, hence their sound.
Example: Incoming SMS is invisible until I open the Messages app and discover new SMSes.

I have the same problem. Incoming calls, SMS notifications - all silent even if ringtone volume bar is at 60%.

For me restarting home screen from Settings → Utilities help to recover this.

I have suspicion that it is related to Bluetooth somehow.

I’m on latest 4.4.x

With my problem, I contacted zendesk support, from where I received an unsubscribe that
your phone contains some extra repositories (they should not be there):

– mentaljam-obs … http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/mentaljam/4.3.0.12_aarch64 /

– – sailfish os-com … https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/sailfishos:/chum/4.3.0.12_aarch64/and

WHAT TO DO NOW

We have just this advice for you at this point:

Install/flash OS release 4.3.0.12 to your phone.

There is no other way to fix it.

Then as I understand it, it was an isolated case.

I flashed the phone and haven’t used repositories since. But nothing changes from version to version and still the sounds of incoming calls, SMS, notifications disappear.

For myself, I solved the problem by screwing a script that checks pulseaudio.service every 15 minutes and, in case of a crash, restarts it with an entry in the log. I also created a separate simple script for manually restarting from applications – for those moments when I found a loss and waiting for the script to run on a timer does not make sense.
I’ll post the scripts below, maybe it will be useful to someone.

# manual script launch

On the path /home/default user/.local/share/applications/ create the pulseaudio_script.desktop script
With such content

[Desktop Entry]
Type=pulseaudio
Name=Run my script
Icon=/home/defaultuser/Templates/icon_my_script.png
Exec=fingerterm -e “/home/defaultuser/Templates/pulseaudio_script.sh”
Comment=Terminal application
X-Nemo-Single-Instance=no

It is needed to display icons (you can choose at your discretion) in applications and for execution. As you can see above, the icon and the script itself are located in /home/defaultuser/Templates/
You throw an icon there icon_my_script.php and create a script there pulseaudio_script.sh

#!/bin/bash

echo `systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service
echo `systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service`
echo `systemctl --user is-active pulseaudio.service` >>/home/defaultuser/Documents/hand_pulseaudio

# running the script on a schedule

In /home/defaultuser/.config/system/user/ create two scripts

1. check-pulseaudio.timer
[Unit]
Description=AUDIO Checker timer

[Timer]
OnCalendar=*:0,15,30,45
Persistent=true
WakeSystem=false

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target
  1. check-pulseaudio.service
[Unit]
Description=AUDIO Checker
After=lipstick.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/defaultuser/Templates/pulseaudio.sh

On the path /home/default user/Templates create pulseaudio.sh

#!/bin/bash

if (systemctl --user is-active --quiet pulseaudio.service); then
    echo "work"
else
    date >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/pulseaudio
    echo `systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service`
    echo `systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service`
    systemctl --user is-active pulseaudio.service >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/pulseaudio
fi

make it executable: chmod +x pulseaudio.sh
That’s almost all, it remains only to turn it on and run:
systemctl --user enable check-pulseaudio.timer
systemctl --user start check-pulseaudio.timer

I’m not a developer, I did what I could and it works for me. For several months now, I have not been worried if the sound suddenly disappears again.
Perhaps there are other solutions.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this @comsorg. It looks like it could be the same issue as the following. Would you agree?

1 Like

just want to say, the same things happens with me today ! its really annoying !
X10 III 4.4.0.64

The problem in the description is similar, but there is a difference. My application “Sounds” if it freezes, it does not recover itself in a minute - only a reboot or scripts that restart pulseaudio.service.

I think comsorg should get an award for fixing this huge bug

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio
systemctl --user start pulseaudio

In 4.5.0.19, sometimes the execution of commands causes the phone to hang for a few seconds and sometimes this is not enough, you need to restart ngfd

systemctl --user stop ngfd
systemctl --user start ngfd

make changes to running the script on a schedule

#!/bin/bash

if ( systemctl --user is-active --quiet pulseaudio.service ) && ( systemctl --user is-active --quiet ngfd.service ); then
date >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/$(date +"%Y-%m-%d")_pulseaudio.log
else
date >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/$(date +"%Y-%m-%d")_pulseaudio.log
echo systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service
echo systemctl --user stop ngfd.service
sleep 5
echo systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service
echo systemctl --user start ngfd.service
echo “pulseaudio is” systemctl --user is-active pulseaudio.service >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/$(date +"%Y-%m-%d")_pulseaudio.log
echo “ngfd is” systemctl --user is-active ngfd.service >> /home/defaultuser/Documents/$(date +"%Y-%m-%d")_pulseaudio.log
fi