If you hard-switch Bluetooth to be exclusive to the AAS container how could you possibly expect anything else?
I think there’s a misunderstanding. The app Gadgetbridge (as well as Garmin Connect and other Smartwatch apps) is able to send the notifications (like incoming messages etc.) to the watch. The behavior observed by @tmichel is that Gadgetbridge can’t see the notifications that are generated by SFOS (e.g. SMS), but only those from Android Apps (Signal, Threema, etc.). This is unrelated to whether the Bluetooth connection is tied to SFOS or AAS.
No it isn’t?
SFOS isn’t sending its notifications into AAS - why would it? So obviously an AAS-controlled smartwatch has no way of getting those.
Exactly. It’s unrelated to the switching BT to AAS.
Again, no.
If you choose to limit communication to the watch to be from AAS - one should expect the limits of AAS apply to what it can communicate about.
I indeed did expect exactly that, just wanted to verify and report; I mostly installed Gadgetbridge to see how it works in general. I should have phrased that better.
I think the best option would be to see if Amazfish could be enhanced to support Garmin watches as well as it does all I would want from a Sailfish integration and more (I honestly just want the notifications as I got so used to them). That would probably be easier than porting GadgetBridge.
I guess I’ll contact the developer if that would be something he would consider.
I was about to suggest you get involved in the project on github, but I see you already have. Amazfish is a real asset for SFOS.