[Strategies] Bringing more sailors to SFOS

If you mean it Sailbook is looking for a maintainer from what I’ve read

I know that there is jolla-devices.com but with 49€ shipping and one year warranty. People usually buy devices in some (big) local eshop or in some shopping mall in city or with contract in O2 / T-Mobile / Vodafone etc. It is simillar situation with Linux laptops… usually you can’t just go to some (e)shop and buy preinstalled laptop with Linux because they have only laptops with Windows, macbooks and maybe some chromebook.

Always two years minimum inside the EU, regardless of store policy.

If you’re lucky they have a laptop without any OS

1 Like

@throwaway69 I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the Indian usage of smartphones, I was not aware of it. Indeed many professionals often carry both their personal and work phone. The point here is to replace this “work phone” with SFOS. To do so, in my opinion, we must share the existence of SFOS with companies and public administrations. We are all citizens of a country and live in cities, we can easily contact our mayors or alike and ask Why don’t we use SFOS in your public administration ? (I recon that some arguments may work better in Europe with the current will to reach digital sovereignty).

A common argument often read here is the lack of visibility in stores for SFOS phones. Unfortunately unless Jolla makes a collaboration with a manufacturer there are very few chances that a shop would display on shelf a Jolla device which is 99% of the time a refurbished 2 years old phone.

Maybe a common strategy we can adopt is to reach out for big retail stores localized in very crowded places (just like Zara did) and explain the advantages of SFOS but also the beneficial points of displaying refurbished phones in an era where ecology is in the front scene.

We could also reach out to the European website “BackMarket” that sells refurbished phones and ask for them if they could write about SFOS, something like : Tired of Android and iOS ? Switch to SFOS

A very common step I do is whenever an app (Android/iOS) asks me to rate it on the play/app store I rate it 1 star and explain that the fact that they are not present in SFOS natively is the reason why I’m rating is so bad. Just like in my first message, I don’t expect the developer to say OMG we were rated 1 star by one user, we must develop something for SFOS ASAP! but by doing so, the message can be seen by both the developer (who most likely did not know there was an app for SFOS) and the user that wants to install it, who may just learn that SFOS exists.

Those are very “simple” strategies to make SFOS more popular that any one can make, and this is the whole point of this topic, if any one has other ideas feel free or experiences feel free to comment !

I’ve taken over maintenance of tidings, an rss reader, and am looking at doing at least 2 or three of planetos https://openrepos.net/user/15631/programs programs.

I looked at sailbook and it’s nice code, but I realized I’m the wrong developer since I don’t really use facebook (sort of a once a month or less user)

Write to Volla, https://volla.online/de/index.html (they are already supporting installing with ubports).
Write to Shift https://www.shiftphones.com/en/
and write to Fairphone to tell them we want to buy there hardware with SFOS on it :slight_smile:

I’m doing this. I’ve bought hardware from them all to underline the fact. But I’m just one customer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That would be noice. Would love Jolla and Fairphone colaboration. Hope there is still chance.
Dont know much about Shiftphone. Never seen one using it.

Thanks for the links I’m mailing all three companies (Volla, Shift and Fairphone) to ask for a phone running SFOS.

I’m checking to see if someone is working on a port for shift… volla and fp obviously already have em…

3 Likes

One more “strategy” us sailors could use is to contact tech magazines/youtubers whenever there is something new in SFOS to bring some attention. I think this can also be adapted to contact those same persons whenever there is a big company/country announcing to fund digital sovereignty in Europe. Us sailors could contact the tech companies and tell them “hey look there is also this mobile OS that is sovereign

3 Likes

My personal answer, is have one email for all of those services, tied to one phone number (that is not your primary), then have a second phone for everything else… Take measures on the other phone to turn off/block as many sensors as possible (and only use it when you need to).

LineageOS would be good for this…

Good idea, if it can be pulled off… I think you should write a petition or see who you can contact.

I’ve been using SFOS since J1 and the best strategy for me would be for Jolla to fix his bugs faster. I currently have an XA2 Dual SIM and SFOS 4 is the first version that I will no longer install on my phone. In the past, I often had to wait several months for bug fixes until a new release appeared and the bugs weren’t fixed every time. Proper maintenance is a prerequisite for acceptance and a new QT is a prerequisite for new functions. Jolla should produce its own hardware again to free itself from poorly supported phones. I don’t see either of these factors being met. Promising features like xmpp support were started and forgotten. GPS, for another example, has still not worked satisfactorily with the XA2 for years. My personal bug list is even longer. Jolla could be happy that there is Openrepos. Recently, however, Openrepos has become more of a “cemetery” and the apps offered there no longer supported. I better not speak about the Jolla Store at all. I now consider the search for the best strategy for Jolla to be pointless.

My consequences are to look for alternatives with a Pinephone and Manjaro Phosh and Mobian might be. No other phone can be equipped more elegantly with another operating system. SFOS is miles away from the possibilities of running desktop programs like Evolution, Libre Office and others. Alternatively, I use a Nexus 5 with a current UbuntuTouch (OTA 16) every day and I am always happy about a fully functional device and fast bug fixing.

My XA2 with SFOS is frozen to version 3.4.0.24 because I am glad that it has fewer bugs for the first time since it has been supported (for me). I’m tired of a new adventure with SFOS 4 and new bugs that I have to live with for months again. Every update was like “Russian roulette” for the XA2. I’ve already given up hope.

12 Likes

+1

You are right.

Others are better in the wind.
Too bad.

2 Likes

Moin @mja, sure!

But it was an interesting time with SFOS. The terminal was my most important app and should be more convenient :sunglasses:

3 Likes

another +0.5

My daily driver is frozen to 3.2.1.20 due to unacceptable bugs in 3.3, 3.4, 4.0 (I even do not rember due to the sheer amount now introduced new with SFOS4).
just e.g.
browser not accepting :port definition in url
birthdays not showing up in calendar
WA not starting (only once)

Exactly. +1

Reason why I asked for other update disrtribution model.
EA out and then collect bugs for 1-2 weeks and another time frame of 1-2 weeks ironing out all (most) bugs before calling it a PR.
This 4.0 with almost 100 new bugs is definitely not a release that I see to be published in its current state.

Not yet!
Still having hope…

2 Likes

Hmmm. 3.4 is pretty stable for me (volla phone + fp2). The browser is the worst case but otherwise, SFOS at 3.4 is just fine.

I have enough faith in the porters that seeing jolla do a 4, even if poorly planned, gives me enough hope to take on a bunch of maint: https://github.com/poetaster

1 Like

Hope…

I save my hope for really important things :wink:

2 Likes