SFOS present and future

And regardless of the tech, Jolla have a contract with Myriad which may or may not cover App Support.

I agree with you but there are so many apps I desperately need that have no native Sailfish App. Iā€™d rather this not be the case, but I need android for banking, for payment (sending money), and quite a few business related things, like editing documents or working on adds, etc.

I donā€™t think any alternative OS will be able to survive without Android or iOS support.

Very happy that I can do without GooglePlayServices and other trackers. There are so many things that make me happy about being back on Sailfish. The UI (mainly), the integration of calendar, mail and (nextcloud) accounts, and being free from Android and iOS (though somewhat shackled to their apps).

Would hope for more native apps that could take the place of android versions. I also hope there will be an official port for Xperia 10 iv because the camera on my XA2 Ultra is broken and I cannot find a replacement (needed for paying bills with a QR code).

Cordially,
Martin

2 Likes

There was a poll in Telegram, Sailfish OS News Network. Only 78 voters voted about the list of possible hardware adaptations. Volla Phone/22 had the highest, 24% of the votes, then came ā€˜otherā€™, 22%.
Gigaset seems to be flexible so itā€™s not a bad idea to coƶperate and get something customised like Rephone did.
However, the GS5 is not 5G compatable. I think this compatability is a must for future adaptations.
Nobody talks about Nokia, e.g. the X20. I wonder why.

Iā€™m not sure what the trajectory is, but the next iteration is already out (GX6, for instance) and 5G is supported. Looking at the volla releases, which is what @piggz seems to be tracking, they seem about a year behind. Iā€™d guess the next iteration (next year) will normalize 5G gigasets. IF it continues.

I think 4G support will be about long enough and Iā€™m just happy to have a phone with a battery I can swap out :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s interesting about it?

canā€™t you just open your bank account webpage and do money transfers from there? This is how I was doing this in the past, before my bank broke their webpage and itā€™s almost useless on the phone. Maybe yours is still usable? At least this part would be solved.

Hm, the Nokia X20 has 5G compatibility. For the rest nothing to boast about save the brand name. You are right: changing parts is a great advantage. So if Gigaset brings a 5G device on the market, that would probably be the best choice.

Just to underline that open_gl, which guys like me care about because we want to release games on SFOS, is borked on the volla ports. Otherwise, they are good inexpensive phones. Iā€™m just testing the ā€˜modest useā€™ battery consumption of the GS5 with 4.5.0.18 and itā€™s looking pretty good (testing with under 2 hours of active use).

Well I could, if it werenā€™t the case that I need the BankID Android app to login. But sure, I could carry around the little digital login tool from the bank. But it is supposed to be kept securely at homeā€¦ Havenā€™t tried the native browser with my bank web site in a while, though.

so youā€™re saying that your bank require you to buy exact third party product to be able to use itā€™s functionality? Isnā€™t this illegal? There was something like cross sell etc.

2 Likes

I tried to use the app of my bank and it didnā€™t work and complained about GOOGLE SERVICES not available on the phone. This I consider as scandalous!

4 Likes

No, they donā€™t require it, but it is very much easier to use than carrying around a little digital sign in assistant they hand you. Also, in Sweden we ise digital BankID for everything: sick day and parental leave registration, bank login, proving we are who we are in all kinds of situations. Without BankID you can barely do anything online that requires identification. And everything is done online. But BankID works with Sailfish OS android support so I am all set.

1 Like

I agree.
Soon, Iā€™m afraid one will not be able to be a normal citizen with normal rights, if they donā€™t have IOS or Android.
Although citizenship is a state thing. Those companies are privateā€¦

So, the future of SFOS is to become stronger and spread much wider! biggrin

2 Likes