SFOS 4.6 (Foreca / MeeCast): How to (re-)enable the weather infos in Events View

To state it more bluntly (I hope that reaches you):
Without reading you will not comprehend things and hence continue to be a “newbie”.

[…] and it still fails in the end…

for you is very likely a consequence of not reading and understanding.

If your experience is really caused by a technical issue, you ensure that it persists by rather writing lengthy, incorrect and senseless ramblings instead of being constructive by filing a proper bug report at GitHub, which would have taken less time.

that ‘legacy’ means it’s an actual working solution

Absolutely not: I am surprised to hear that a “legacy” release of Storeman (i.e. written for SailfishOS < 3.1.0 or less, depending on which “legacy” release you use) works on SailfishOS 4.6.0 for basic functionality, but many details and special functions will definitely not work.

But as you …

…, nobody knows (including yourself) what exactly you are talking about or which versions of this software you mean to address.

Without such very basic, specific information your postings will always be useless pieces of shit.

6 Likes

I just make a clean install of SFOS on Xperia 10 III. Then I use the Meecast apps from Chum. All installed without any issues. But the widget failed to activate after reboot and nothing of the other one like lock screen etc. is displayed.

you will still need to follow the instructions from here for now.
This method works a treat

1 Like

Hey guys,

MeeCast app from the Jolla store seems to work again. I was able to choose from different sources and find my location again… 4.6.0.13 xperia 10 ll

i started the app after the last update for the first time today and it worked…

3 Likes

As I said, don’t have time after reflash and 8h of updating jollaC to go on github and waste another hour filling bug reports that will be ignored with: read the docs. Much faster to just grab the relevant rpm from github tags (the whole thing this whole installer was supposed to make easier). Was the same after fresh flash of 4.5 on XIII and upgrade to 4.6, if your installer is not working on freshly flashed devices, I’m afraid it’s not providing the service it was supposed to, maybe too much time spent on 2.x, 3.x etc so no time to test basic functionality on latest versions, maybe someone will just upload the rpms straight to OR so newbies don’t have to navigate github (and yeah your docs don’t even explain that simple fallback onto gh rpms, useless)
Edit: oh wait nvm, storeman installer not working during early access, is working as intended/won’tfix (cBeta in your docs language), lol, carry on, hopefully someone just uploads storeman rpms to openrepos so ppl with failed update experiences can use actual OR to get a working OR client
edit2: and here it is, when most of ppl needing to reinstall storeman are from EA failures, just dump it in 2/3 of the way of 2 pages of important notes and use different terminology (not troubleshooting, not something to clarify right away, background needs a page)

This is automatically done by the current Meecast packages at SailfishOS:Chum, i.e. no manual work is required.

Soon™ this issue will also be resolved by a new package harbour-meecast-eventview (note the addition of “view” to the package name harbour-meecast-event, which will then only support SailfishOS < 4.6.0) at OpenRepos.

7 Likes

I installed Meecast from Chum. And still cannot select country. I write it but then nothing happens.

There is no issue filed WRT country selection, see: Issues · Meecast/meecast · GitHub

Consequently this will not be worked on, until a proper issue description is filed there.

P.S.: BTW @hattu, addressing in this thread is completely off-topic.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s only me but all my SFOS devices cannot get any weather info via MeeCast anymore. It basically crashes since of yesterday (Monday the 15th of July). What is going on?

Yes! I just tested my device after reading this and I am experiencing the same result. Last week I was pulling data from weather.com and now Meecast borks when you try to update it.
X10 III
SFOS 4.6.0.13
Mecast apps from Olf’s post

3 Likes

Probably provider related. yr.no works as expected.

MeeCast crashing is not provider related. It seems to crash with whichever provider I try, including yr.no, so this is something else. However the crashing behavior is different on 64-bit (e.g. Xperia 10 III instantly crashes without been able to fetch weather data) vs. 32-bit versions (e.g. Xperia 10…crashing slowly but is still able to fetch weather data), both running SFOS 4.6. Restating MeeCast shows in case of the Xperia 10 III some old data, so no update is possible since yesterday.

I switched provider and now I can happily retrieve data.
I’m using OpenweatherMap and Foreca

Also, I think think it’s not related to SFOS 4.6. I have still 4.5.0.21 (on XA2) and this morning while forcing a refresh I noticed it crashes (i have 4 locations with 2 providers, Foreca and WeatherChannel)
I’ll try to take a look at the logs

UPDATE: The cause of the crashes must be caused by weather.com that has changed format.
In the logs I saw something like:
lipstick[4516]: /home/nemo/.config/harbour-meecast/weather.com_FIXX0002.orig:168: HTML parser error : Tag rect invalid
In fact after I removed those two locations from WC, Meecast doesn’t crash anymore.
I’ll file an issue ticket for the app

4 Likes

Since the last and recent update of meecast the weather is not updating itself automatically according to the interval in settings. Manual update works fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

Mine says version 1.1.40, “The Weather Channel”, SFOS 4.6.0.13, Xperia X and looks ok. I had to force refresh once after installation, it was failing since 15th July like described above.

Edit:
Well, app was running. Without the app running, the event view is not updated, as far as I can see…

Yes, last 6 post above you already talk about this problem. So now after weeks and weeks we finally have a widget again but it doean’t update. I suppose @olf is going to pretend this is not an issue until someone makes a post about on github, posts here on the forum don’t seem to count for him.

Meecast for me updates with no issues.
Do you have the versions from here?
You can then update Meecast from here.
See how you go. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just checked chum and there was an update. It was not there yesterday evening so it was added recently. With this new update the app seems to update again (weather channel provider). The event view hasn’t updated yet but maybe it takes until the next auto-update cycle?

Thank you whoever pushed this update (@olf?), at the very least we can manually check the weather again. Let’s hope that the widget will also start to refresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL!
I am not “pretending” anything, in general “does not work for me”-messages in a forum are never ever proper bug reports for a multitude of reasons.
One of the many is pointed at by your misconception “a post about on github, posts here”: An issue filed in a bug tracker bears many properties a forum post (or rather thread) does not have, which makes posts in a forum thread very badly suited to discuss bugs.

Specifically for MeeCast, Vasvlad who created much of MeeCast’s code and maintains it does not read this forum, hence all talk about functional bugs here is just chit-chat.

Yes.

Now, does it?

3 Likes