[SDK] Headless install - not so headless

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%?
OS VERSION: N/A
HARDWARE: N/A
UI LANGUAGE: N/A
REGRESSION: no?

DESCRIPTION:

I tried installing the SDK headlessly on a fresh install of Ubuntu server 22.04.

PRECONDITIONS:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04, no GUI/Desktop.
Legacy openssl/libssl installed.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. QT_QPA_PLATFORM=minimal ./SailfishSDK-3.9.6-linux64-online.run --verbose non-interactive=1 accept-licenses=1 build-engine-type=docker

EXPECTED RESULT:

Installer starts and runs.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Having to install one metric gazillion gui-related libraries: libxcb-*, libx11, libsm6, libwayland, libegl, libxcomposite, libfontconfig, libharfbuzz, libgl etc.

MODIFICATIONS:

Snap purged.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

1 Like

Thanks for creating a bug report about this @attah. I’ve transferred it to our internal bug tracker and have tagged it as “tracked”. If there are updates to share about it, we’ll do our best to add them here.

3 Likes

Just being hit by this. I am toying with the idea of remoting for more CPU intensive tasks on an (you guessed it) Ubuntu server. Just as the OP, I am unable to install the SDK without a ton of X-related libraries - I have not got to the end of it, but maybe a version that is manually untar-able as the Platform SDK is would suffice…

LE: looking through /var/log/dpkg.log I think I installed:

• libxcb-icccm4
  • libxcb-util1
  • libxcb-image0
  • xcb
  • libxcb-keysyms1
  • libxcb-render-util0
  • libxcb-xinerama0
  • libxcb-xkb1
  • libxkbcommon0
  • libxkbcommon-x11-0
  • libwayland-egl1
  • libwayland-cursor0
2 Likes

I wanted to remove a build target and got this

$ sfdk tools tooling remove SailfishOS-4.6.0.11EA
^CFailed to list installer-provided packages

(meaning: the error showed up after pressing ctrl-C because nothing was happening for some time. nothing in strace was happening).

With the above list of libraries install, the “solution” was to just log back into X11 and use ssh -X… to use the graphical uninstall method which worked.

So not only is the installation not possible without X libs, removing some things is broken too…

1 Like