SDK can not start VirtualBox Build Engine

That’s strange indeed. I have VirtualBox 6.1.14 as well (vboxmanage --version says it’s 6.1.14r140239), for me vboxmanage help modifyvm lists these options: Am79C970A|Am79C973|Am79C960|82540EM|82543GC|82545EM|virtio

I doubt this has so much to do with VirtualBox version, but it’s about your specific setup. It might be related to the kernel version as well - the VirtualBox folks did a lot of work to get VirtualBox even working on the new kernel, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s still a bug or two left. I suggest you file a bug in the VirtualBox bug tracker

In have seen now, that the package maintainer at openSUSE disabled the virtio support to fix a build problem. So it is an issue with the packaging (maybe because of the kernel version in openSUSE Tumbleweed) at openSUSE. virtio was disabled with upgrading to 6.1.14.

1 Like

So, in the end now it works again and it was not the fault of the Sailfish OS SDK. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure why it was not working correctly with openSUSE’s interim release 6.1.13 of VirtualBox, because for me that seemed to be mostly a 6.1.12 but only with a increased package version and some patches for Linux 5.8+, but never mind.

Next issue was, that the first released source tarball of VirtualBox 6.1.14 was missing some files (see VirtualBox Bug 19862) that lead to disabled virtio in the openSUSE packages. The package maintainer already was aware of the newly packaged tarball, so, for openSUSE users, running versions of VirtualBox are currently available in the Virtualization OBS project and should hit Tumbleweed in the next days.

Also the wrapper script is not needed when using the working packages.

Thanks to all of you for your efforts, even if it was not an issue with the SDK itself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does the issue needing the wrapper script still exist?

Ah, good point - forgot to mention it. No, the issue does not need the wrapper script.