Sailfish in the USA

1. get a mole inside rostelecom
  2. try to make him hasten the switch to volte
  3. ???
  4. not profit probably extradition
1 Like

Howdy, fellow U.S.-based T-mobile user here. I saw this article that says the 3g shut down is slightly delayed:

1 Like

Making a call on my Xperia 10 Plus this morning, I had to listen to a somewhat lengthy recording from AT&T before my call was completed. It told me that my phone will stop working in February, and that I need to upgrade my phone.

This is on AT&T Prepaid.

I haven’t made a call since then, but if it does this with every call, it will get old fast.

2 Likes

Are you running SailfishOS?

Oh snap. What’s the model number of your device? Is it actual AT&T Prepaid or an MVNO?

1 Like

Yes, my phone is running Sailfish X 4.0.1.48 Koli. This is actual AT&T Prepaid (Unlimited Plus) on a Sony Xperia 10 Plus, i3213.

I just made another call, and fortunately it didn’t have the recording. I suspect I will be greeted by it occasionally though as a “kind” reminder.

1 Like

You’re right about the CDMA/modem issue. We have a really good MVNO here called US Mobile that offers a Verizon SIM and a Mobile SIM with twice Tello’s data allowance for the same price.

I tried the CDMA sim since the Xperia 10 was Verizon certified but it wouldn’t connect to the network. The CDMA sim worked fine in a Blackberry Motion.

So, as an update, I got this text below from AT&T on Friday. It seems that starting April 12th, AT&T customers like myself “may” get their calls redirected straight to customer service, instead of having the call get completed. (It’s unclear if they will stop doing so if you talk to customer service and explain the situation.) I have a supported phone running LineageOS that I can utilize, but I’ll have to start evaluating other options in the meantime, whether that is changing carriers or utilizing SIP via a data-only plan (assuming there’s no gotchas there). I suspect they will intentionally make it increasingly frustrating to utilize a phone like mine, and so it makes sense to start looking at more future-proof options.

AT&T Free Msg: ALERT! AT&T is taking steps to shut down the 3G network, so you can do all the things you love only faster. This means your phone won’t work once 3G goes away by February 2022 and you’ll need to change it. Starting April 12, 2021, we may redirect your call to customer service to help you upgrade your phone. Some features like voicemail won’t work during this time. To learn more or upgrade now, visit your AT&T store.

1 Like

I’m curious. I’m a vollaphone user. As far as I know, the modem is open (it’s a Grandstream). I’d need to ask piggz, but I’d guess Volte should not be a problem (well, except effort) on that community port.

I’ll ask.

Would it be possible to enable VoLTE in the base Android image, before flashing SailfishOS. Would that do anything?

Could this help with VoLTE? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53158693/android-connectionservice-incoming-calls

Maybe another answer would be spoofing identifiers to get around the whitelist: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-spoof-the-IMEI-number-of-a-cell-phone?share=1

https://www.coolgenerator.com/imei-generator

This could work. You enable the IMEI in Android and then flash SailfishOS. The network cannot know you reflashed.

1 Like

Switch it to something supported, then set it up, enable everything on the network, VoLTE, adn everything else, finally go flash SailfishOS… It’s something I’m going to do when I get my Xperia 10 Plus

I emailed Volla a few months ago when this problem came to my attention asking if their devices were VoLTE compatible and they responded saying they were 4G/LTE compatible, which didn’t really answer the question. Let me know if you get a different response.

Meanwhile, I think the best solution for ATT or ATT MVNO customers who are affected by this is to port your number to US mobile. You can use their GSM sim (T-Mobile) with an unlimited plan for now and if necessary change to a 15gb data only plan +/- textfree or sip in the future.

1 Like

The Xperia 10 Plus should have VoLTE support… Enabling it may be tricky though…

Is using a data only SIM card maybe an option to prevent the ban of old non-VoLTE phones? Then maybe the SFOS phone can be used as a pocket computer with built in 4G modem, and talking via s1p and some SIP provider should be possible…?

1 Like

That is largely what I’ve been doing for years (back in Symbian and Maemo days) when traveling abroad. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m working on getting to be able to forward all 3G connectivity to a seperate 4G data SIM

1 Like

The Pinephone has VoLTE support in the modem, and there is an older version of Sailfish 3 for it. Will it be able to use VoLTE? Mobian wiki says it can do VoLTE on the Pinephone for this reason. Of course that route lacks Android support though…so it looks like I might eventually be moving to one of the Linux OSes with Anbox support.