Sailfish Community News, September 10, 2026 - Symbiosis

As I have said, I think this is mission of us users and customers. Jolla is probably happy to cooperate in case banks call them, but Jolla for sure don’t have resources to call every bank and try to convince them. Jolla is already cooperating with Volla & Murena in some level with offering banks other options https://uattest.net/, but it is still up to banks to choose something else than Google. And I don’t think banks will reverts their choices if customers don’t demand it. Walt has said that if there is willing community dev, we could have native alternative for google wallet and even tap-to-pay some day. So improvement will probably come at some point

9 Likes

Lucky our banks in Sweden take Swish pay, But yes, it would be nice to have a nfc pay system, and one day hopefully we have Jolla pay!:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t think that I would like that, and I guess many others here feel the same way. You don’t want the same people to control your mobile stack and your payment data

4 Likes

Things are happening!…

1 Like

Why not just pay with a debit or credit card? All you have to do is take the card for a few seconds out of your wallet and touch the nfc sensor just like you do with your phone.

9 Likes

i personally liked having google wallet as a fallback in case i forget my wallet. With the JP2, i have switched to having a card in the back of the case and I will be trying the wallet case (although I feel like I am a tad to young for it :sweat_smile: )

4 Likes

Ditto : )

11 Likes

I can’t select credit as default when tapping the card. I pay everything with credit card so i will need to insert the card to slot and input pin. With mobile tap the credit can be used without that hassle

Yeah. for card payment, a physical card is just as convenient as the digital wallets. But I’m more worried about the other services provided by these apps. Person-to-person payments, identification and online banking

1 Like

There is an advantage on using phone-based payment systems - in that the merchant cannot see your actual card details, but a different card (not sure if it changes on every payment). However, both Google and Apple can absolutely see your transaction history.

It probably doesn’t. So how is this any better?

That doesn’t sound better.

6 Likes

It probably helps you against having your card cloned or those details misused by any chance by a rogue party (if you fear this in any way). Or idk, gives you some peace of mind knowing that you’re not paying with your actual card but with a (let’s say) fake one (even though it’s still your money). I personally used Google Pay for this very purpose back in the day when I found out. I stopped doing it when I found Google was also charging a meager amount of money per year for using their service (plus they’re not a European company anyway, which is something I do care lately, on top of that they’re Google, which is worse, as you said).

Some people do like to pay with their phone, and it’s quite a cool thing indeed, but I also discovered I can pull out my card faster and pay with it than pull out my phone, scan my finger, then oh, crap, my finger is not recognized, have to use my PIN to unlock it, then figure out why is it not doing anything, ah, of course my NFC is disabled, damn, how did I forget it, then move my phone in all the possible positions possible above the POS in order to align its NFC chip that I don’t really know where it is with my phone’s NFC chip that I have a guess where it might be but I do not know exactly, then finally, it vibrated, so the payment was made (edit: it’s even more fun when I want to pay with a different card than the default one, since I have to scroll through them all instead of just glancing at my wallet to pull the right one straight away). But idk, maybe there’s just me, and phone payment is something you can never live without.

2 Likes

I don’t even know what to say to this.

Yea, I’m not an expert, just somebody who did some searching on… the internet in his spare time about this topic.

2 Likes