Sailfish Community News, 30th June, Microtube

They allowed the api to get Pure maps in. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Jolla store is literally next to useless. Nobody is and nobody should be using it. it’s worthless

2 Likes

We live in the presence, not in the future. We don’t even know if there will be any future, considering what kind of insane things are going on around us. Maybe we’ll all soon freeze in winter or starve to death.

Anyway, so putting aside past experiences, people definitely do buy apps on present platforms like Android and iOS.

So, again, what would make SFOS users different than literally everyone else?

I am sure that there are people who would pay for high quality and secure native apps (as opposed to using for free Android cr*p full of trackers and other such ‘goodies’ eating battery like crazy and sending out whichever data they can get), with good technical support, instant bug fixing, and all the remaining benefits that a good and properly supported commercial apps provide.

Don’t compare android and ios to sailfishos, these are 2 completely different things. Again, bad data

Well then you are wrong and also “i’m sure” means nothing. It’s not data, it’s not argument, you are just putting out random stuff with no backing whatsoverer. You’re not making argument. Stop poisoning with fake information

Sorry, but repeating like a mantra that someone else’s opinion is just “bad” and that those are “different things” without a word of justification doesn’t make this discussion worth continuing.

Whereas your empty negations mean really a lot.

Yeah, and you do back yours.

Goodbye.

@poetaster, I will come back to you on that (right now got caught up in coding instead). Map API keys are somewhat different problem than app store, I think. It maybe used as a subscription service for apps, but it is not the primary intention.

If I say I will pay for an app then, provided its realistically priced, I will pay for that app.

I buy software for my own use and that if my company all the time and I don’t expect developers to work for free. If they want to because its a hobby, then that’s great - but I don’t expect it.

1 Like

Certainly the fact the the official Jolla app store has so many dead, abandoned and unusable apps in it from, in some cases, years ago, whilst not having some of the best supported and most useful apps from community developers is a huge missed opportunity.

New users to SFOS will inevitably go to the official store first … and will probably be disappointed in what they find. They are unlikely to know about Chum and Openrepos at the beginning, so they may well just think of SFOS ‘Nice GUI, but no apps’ and move on to another OS as a result.

One solution to this might be for Jolla to make a Community app store front end app like Storeman or Chum actually part of the shipped SFOS build, but it would have to be only one and have a user friendly name (like ‘Community App Store’) . This way at least newbies would have easy and immediate access to the wealth of excellent community driven apps that exist.

6 Likes

Yes, it was called Wagnis and it worked pretty well - from a technical perspective. I allowed to define a shareware-like experience (14 days for free, then you needed to pay if you want to use the official builds) while keeping things open source (users could still build the apps from source if they wanted).

But in the end it’s a matter of effort vs. benefit. If you do it right, you need to take care of all the nasty red tape such as taxes or maybe even to register a small company (depending on where you live and the applicable legislation). And for a relatively small market such as the one for Sailfish OS, the efforts were simply far too big, so Wagnis was dropped again after two years and the app builds became free of charge again.

1 Like

What store is MicroTube in? I can’t seem to find it in Jolla store, StoreMan, nor Chum :s

Thanks for the interesting insight @Ygriega. I recall using and being impressed by Wagnis, and thinking it was a shame you dropped it, but I understand your reasons: international payment is complex.

I see a lot of apps now using things like LibraPay, Ko-fi, PayPal and occasionally BTC, all for voluntary payment, which is certainly a nice model for the end-user.

It’s available in OpenRepos. There is a link in the article, but it’s a bit hidden.

Anyone having trouble updating Evento from the Store? I keep getting an error (no useful message, unless there’s a log somewhere). I can install other apps from the store, so don’t think it’s a repo error, but I have tried the Utilities “fix”, but it’s not fixed it.

I’m thinking of a larger, umbrella organization to bundle fundraising efforts. Economies of scale. When you find the time!

1 Like

you’re dreaming man, wake up

The first ‘serious’ company I helped found (one of three guys at the beginning) has over a thousand employees. I’m not sure what makes you an expert, but I’ve helped create a number of things that persist in time, pay mortages, etc.

5 Likes

When it comes to Maps i still believe that jolla should adopt puremaps and provide the map api (or whatever needed).

3 Likes

“There are as many experts as there are opinionated people” - Amy Victoria Courtenay (1906 - 2012).

3 Likes

I’m more worried Jolla may start focusing more and more on the Android support layer alone (for automotive) and come to the conclusion developing a full blown phone OS without much interest from paying customers (and I don’t mean the few hundred Sailfish-X licenses per year) may not be in their best interest.

A genuine question (coz I don’t know the answer, but would like to), but what would be the point of Jolla just focusing on providing an Android support layer on its own? Why would this be any different to just providing AOSP Android or some such? And if they did, wouldn’t they just be the same as everyone else? What would be their market differentiator that would make customers buy their product rather than that of a dozen other suppliers?

From my point of view an automotive os and a phone os is the same thing adapted to different screen form factors and user interaction (physical v touch). Period.

I’d comment more on android on auto, apps in the car, and all that but noone wants to read a huge rant about the morons who try to monetize the car in exchange of the safety of its occupants.