Sailfish Community News, 30th December, What a Year!

Fernschreiber is able to create polls and start secret chat too :wink:

Thank you once again for this Community News! Always a pleasure to read it and discover new things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

‘much like the built-in file browser in the Settings app’
Well, after 7 years of using SF phones as my primary and only mobile phone, I finally learned this…

So much for ‘intuitive’ – and there you may find your explanation to your surprise over why the most popular app doubles up on existing OS capability.

I’ve always found it counterintuitive to go to Settings for Downloaded files, and now … I guess you understand …

But, hey, thanks anyhow for the wright-up, and a Happy New SF Year to all sailors and contributors in the community!

5 Likes

Released, not updated.
Also no, it’s a traccar client, it’s not for uploading your location but instead for viewing location of your trackers connected to the traccar client as well as thier past locations and travels

3 Likes

There is even unofficial jolla file manager
You can install it from terminal
pkcon install sailfish-filemanager

8 Likes

We also added Slovak as part of the default set of languages provided in the OS. Many thanks to xmlich02, zemiacsik and lhodas for the contribution!

Regards,

Jarkko

2 Likes

File browser in ‘Settings’? Couldn’t find it there… File Browser is an app from the Jolla store and working fine on my phone.

nice list of stuff but most of it does not relate to anything the community has asked for sadly.

For years people have been asking for unique caller ringtones. It’s the end of 2021…are unique ring tones in Sailfish yet? Nope…that fish got away.

Standard Operating MMS where you can send more than one picture at a time…it’s 2021 do we have that option? nope. There are 90’s era flip phones that can send MMS with more than picture to more than one person at a time… But here 2021…us sailfish user can’t can pull that off. Thats the fish that got away too I guess.

Thankful for the improvements here in 2021, but totally mystified by what features we lack. Our Cameras are handicapped (im guessing thats due to proprietary hardware) Our messaging has been handicapped, as well as the way being able to cast video and the other things our hardware can do but the software ware just wont.

Yeah 2021 has been hard… its been hard to get and make calls as well as do basics stuff. Well done team. You guys are getting there. 3031 will be a blow out year!

2 Likes

Sometimes i miss the old system with downvotes.
The post started more or less reasonable, then passed by ignorant on the way to insulting. Sigh.

14 Likes

Once…

Just ONCE…

I would like to see a company not using all that nonsense as a excuse for things getting delayed or not according their plan for 2020 or 2021 and probably 2022 to 2024 too! :frowning:

Just tell us what has been going on without reminding us about all the crap going on in the world!
You are not the biased media we deal with every damn day! :rage:

Anyways…

Thanks for the apps overview and all the usefull tips in this news blog! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Didžiausi aplodismentai ir padėka už Lietuvių kalbą. :muscle:
Thanks also to the SailfishOS team. You are great at achieving your goals and creating an alternative operating system.
I test your OS from time to time.
Captivated by the intuitive system and irreplaceable event (notifications) display. I would like this on my android phone.
Sėkmingų ir darbingų 2022 metų !!! :partying_face:

4 Likes

@jolla : please think of the issue ‘still not possible to power off the phone’. It still reboots immediately after shutting down. (X10, since all versions, since 2 years).

Apart from that, thank you very much for all your work and a happy new year 2022!

2 Likes

Thanks again! for the effort in summarizing what has been a rather full and turbulent year. As for the the German Weather app, I’ll be frank, it started out as an sketch for a tutorial in using a range of facilities in QML. It does do that, but, I fear, not well enough to be what I set out to do. It does, however work outside of Germany as I’ve been informed by one Polish user :slight_smile: So, let’s see if I can clean up and document to the original standard I’d hoped … in 2022!
Happy new year!

6 Likes

Oh, man. Lest I forget, @ichthyosaurus meteoswiss is also a far better example, if more complicated, of what I was aiming for with the DWD app. But I did want to simplify for the sake of a tutorial. Some of my code is cribbed (for instance the Localstorage JS) from meteoswiss. I also want to thank @ichthyosaurus explicitly for helping re-animate development of tidings with code and inspiration in the last year. Thanks!

2 Likes

It certainly has been a year. I found the hardware breakdown very interesting. Would that maybe be some motivation to officially support the PinePhone more, considering how popular it is compared to the other community ports? Afaik there were some issues with the browser on mesa drivers, that could have used some help from Jolla, although I have no idea, what the current status of that is.

1 Like

Browser now works on Mesa in 4.3, E-mail stopped working when it switched to gecko but is supposed to be fixed in 4.4

afaik only camera is left to tackle

4 Likes

Oh, that’s great to hear! I haven’t been following that closely! Thank you <3

Lots of great things in SFOS. Great community.

As you said in your newsletter, Xperia XA2 is still much in use and appreciated by users.
So please, we have been asking for ages:
-Why can’t we use the FM radio
and, more important:
-What is the problem with the GPS? It works under android but for lots of users, not under SFOS?
Don’t be afraid to say “we don’t know”, “No time for that”, “technically impossible”…
But say something please, because lots of users are asking this.

Thanks for all the things that are working well in this nice OS and don’t forget:
Tell us something!

8 Likes

Happy new year :partying_face:

It’s glad to see SailfishClub and Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus mentioned on the topic :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s surprising that the XA2 remains so popular when phone calls are subject to intermittent failure for what seems to a be a significant number of users [3.4.0.22] XA2 phone calls no audio.

1 Like

Seems like only a small margin of users face that problem then.