Sailfish Community News, 23rd May 2024 - Jolla Day 2 recap

Me too… and I also signed up for the C2.

4 Likes

stored in calendar. synced to nextcloud.

3 Likes

Jeez, with all this love, love, I’m feeling the need to be the spoilsport and not pay :slight_smile: (ducks ‘n’ runs)

1 Like

Duck lower. I’m a very good shooter. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m faster than I seem to be.

4 Likes

Thanks for the focus on gPodder, I hope to work on more/better error feedback in the future, it’s on the to-do list.

One thing that I think is important to note - gPodder was originally developed by Thomas Perl (@thp) and I am standing on his giant shoulders continueing the development and maintenance together with the other contributors and translators (@carmenfdezb @eson @sfbg and many others).

We actually released 4.16 (“Mesirut” - devotion, loyalty and/or dedication) at the beginning of the week it is on OpenRepos and in the QA queue on harbour, the release mainly brings some changes in allowing users to configure certain things and sadly we had to disable gpodder.net integration.

Lastly to make giving feedback easier we have a dedicated topic here - https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gpodder-feedback

11 Likes

Based on my typical ~18-24 month replacement cycle of my Sony phones(They tend to break for my typical use in that time frame), €5/mo is way too much. around €2,50/mo to €3/mo would be more realistic.

Then don’t go for the monthly subscription, buy the annual one or get the full license.

Why ist it necessary to disable it?

Because gpodder.net does not seem to work most of the time (most request return a HTTP 500 error) and this leads to a bad user experience where users try to use it and fail, we (the gpodder team) have tried to reach out to the gpodder.net maintainers and got no answers.

1 Like

what is the connection between the replacement rate and the monthly fee you pay? You would pay the same per month independently if you replace your device r not. Actually the monthly rate would be better for you, because otherwise you would have to pay permanent licenses every time. Or do you mean to break even to perpetual single licenses? You do not know the new price for them yet…

1 Like

They clearly have taken user feedback into account, as many people (including myself) have expressed concerns about this new licensing structure. However, I very much doubt that Jolla have lost any sleep over the three or four individuals I have labelled as “professional complainers” simply because they made so much noise on the forum.

7 Likes

Well, the acquisition cost is basically the cost of the license divided by the duration of the usage of that license. At €50, and that is a generous price, as I usually get my licenses when they’re on sale, the price for a license boils down to between €2,09 and €2,78 / month for the lifetime of a phone for me. At €4,99, the price is 80% higher than that of the perpetual license.

With the perpetual state of semi-brokenness and missing features of Sailfish OS, a price hike is maybe the final push I need to go try LineageOS, PostmarketOS or IodéOS.

1 Like

Give them a shot because they are also fun and there is also some serious work done there.
We will be here again when you need an actual daily driver :slight_smile:
Other than that, I will not be listing and considering android custom roms as sailfish alternatives.

4 Likes

@Kanthal To write them off and consider SFOS as much better is delusional. SFOS needs a lot of work on more or less basic stuff. A spiteful response like yours really is out of place.

1 Like

My response is based solely in my experience.
I use almost every OS in existence (dead or alive) and from all the alternatives there’s nothing that comes close to sailfish experience as a daily smartphone.
Have you tried a community port for example? Many of them don’t share known Xperia issues.

No need for Sony if SFOS is not in the picture. With the requirement for a Sony phone out of the window, a Fairphone would be my first choice. Fairphone seems quite well supported by 3rd party ROMs. And since something like Iodé would have an Android base, but with the google tracking torn out, it would meet my needs in terms of privacy. So far I haven’t seen a lot of problems being reported on that combo, and it has support as well. GrapheneOS on a Pixel would also be a contender. And even though the up front cost of the FP+Iodé combo is higher, I expect that I can make it work for long enough to make the TCO lower than SFOS + Sony.

1 Like

@Jolla
Q: Is the Jolla Community Phone a modified version of the Reeder S19 Max Pro S or a unmodified version?

Q: If it’s a modified version what are key differences?

Q: Does the device support two nano sims and a msd card or is the second sim slot shared with the msd card?

I hope it’s the former as it would make for perfect travel phone without having to faff around removing a msd card / sim etc.

Q: Any plans to offer the C2 with a perpetual license with an increased cost or perpetual license option as one of payment at a higher cost?

I don’t think anyone here expected Jolla to lose any sleep or intended to “make noise”. It was just to voice concerns (isn’t that what a support forum is for?) that Jolla would hopefully hear and consider. And they did.

1 Like

As for Xperia 10 IV and V support, will XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72 be supported or only listed XQ-CC54 and XQ-DC54?

3 Likes