Sailfish Community News, 22nd February 2024 - 4.6.0 Update

Though dropping support for the Xperia X is understandable (the device as much as I like it is 8 years old by now and as much as I liked it in my older rants it is old), the excuse (old kernel version) is really not a valid one since Sony has released newer kernels for it (and also the newer devices), Jolla has over the years not updated the kernels on devices for whatever reason a policy that is a direct contradiction to the claim to security focus.

(Xperia X has at least kernel 4.14 available to it)

5 Likes

Ok, my Xperia 10 V has just arrived. Now I’m curious when there will be a SF release I can flash and how I have to pay for it or its updates or if I have to pay still only for Android on SF…

1 Like

Mine is arriving today and I’m as curious as you or anyone.
An educated guess is that we will know when SFOS 4.6 lands. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sure it will be soon :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for this edition of the Community News. It’s good to have you back, @rainemak and Jollyboys!

I already waved goodbye to the aging AppSupport on my Xperia X. It gradually became less and less useful, and I won’t miss it much when it’s officially removed.

My device is still working well, so it’s a bit sad it soon will see its last software update. But it’s had a good run (six years now) and I can see the reasons why it’s being dropped from the program. “So long, and thanks for all the (sail)fish”, I guess.

8 Likes

well, you’ll find gstreamer1.0-plugin-bad @ openrepos (lpr or lpr_next repo) with dash=enabled so one can use qtmultimedia to do that
just add Requires: /usr/lib/gsreamer-1.0/libgstdash.so (32bit) or Requires: /usr/lib64/gsreamer-1.0/libgstdash.so (64bit) to your app’s .spec file

2 Likes

and have way worse player? no thanks

well, even when using plain gstreamer as you do, it would be better to use libgstdash.so and not to reinvent the wheel with an own dash solution…

1 Like

not really, because of why sfos doesn’t have dash

GStreamer 1.24 release notes :

Low-Latency HLS (LL-HLS) support and many other HLS and DASH enhancements

• dashdemux2 and hlsdemux2 have a new “start-bitrate” property, improving the decision for which initial stream variant that will be used.
  • dashdemux2 , hlsdemux2 , mssdemux2 have received many improvements regarding seeking, along with support for “early-seek” which allows playback to start immediately from the requested position without any previous download.
  • dashdemux2 , hlsdemux2 , mssdemux2 better handle errors on or near the live edge.

sounds good…

2 Likes

you clearly don’t understand the issue

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.