Sailfish Community News, 18th April 2024 - Xperia 10 IV & V

The better Question is:
Are the missing parts added and the old bugs fixed?
Like 4G battery drain or 5G added?
Useability of all cameras and so…
Speaking of my 10III

9 Likes

Don’t forget you still have access to Waydroid

1 Like

Or those are the models they can just go and buy themselves easily for internal testing purposes?

1 Like

Are both the 10 V and the 10 IV equally affected by those issues? Or is one of them less affected / more functional? Sony binaries for the 10 IV (Murray) have been available for much longer and there have been much more releases (updates) of them, so aren’t they in a better / more functional state than 10 V binaries?

1 Like

From the Jolla Shop:

Sailfish X is currently available in the countries of the European Union, UK, Norway and Switzerland.

TLDR, there’s no incentive for Jolla to make the OS available on the international models if Jolla doesn’t sell OS licences to non-European countries.

I’ve struggled to find much from a quick search but I assume the 10V variants can be extrapolated from this website which has a list of Xperia 1V variants. One covers Europe, the 2nd covers USA and Canada and the other 2 Asia Pacific. Again, that list is for the Xperia 1V - but knowing Sony they’ve probably split the 10V in a similar way.

The main issue is testing the basics, i.e. different bands for different frequencies. I’ve always had problems with smartphones not working when on a different continent, going back to the first time I went to Australia and had zero data when not on wifi because the 3G bands used by Vodafone Australia weren’t supported by my phone (which I resolved only by buying a Nokia N9). As time has passed it still continues to be an issue especially with 2G and 3G switch-offs happening. Many of old phones will at best only work for roaming on an International sim via T-Mobile (Wikipedia link, and the 2 sources for that statement don’t actually have relevant information but it’s still a possibility that even this will not be helpful going forward).

That and since I moved to the US, most of my old cheap UK purchased phones don’t support 4G so are limited to roaming T-Mobiles 2G network only. And even if the 3G networks still existed, plenty of my devices support bands used in Europe but not in the US so would be of no more use now as they would have been 10 years ago.

So while Jolla could port Sailfish OS to other models of the 10V, I just can’t see them being supported. They don’t sell to the US and the bands are different enough that testing is likely to be impossible without a phone that supports the correct bands and having an active network that supports those bands.

I am still hoping for a properly functioning camera in my 10 III…

1 Like

I’d rather utilize the Sailfish OS forum. We could create a separate Xperia 10 IV & V testing thread. One option is also to create forum wiki page from it.

9 Likes

You can find Camera 2 API development from here Issues · sailfishos/droidmedia · GitHub (issues labeled with camera2).

9 Likes

Thanks for the information.

However, I think this issue should have been taken care long time ago…it can’t be that after so much time, the problem is still there. Especially the slow focusing problem.

2 Likes

This was the issue with the privately imported Intex Aqua Fish which supports 2300\1800\850 frequencies, Bands 3,5 (FDD) and 40 (TDD) and was somewhat at odds with the Finnish mobile frequencies:

• 3G Bands: B1 (2100 MHz), B8 (900 MHz)
  • 4G Bands: B3 (1800 MHz), B7 (2600 MHz), B20 (800 MHz)

I remember lacking the support for 800 MHz was a bummer for me, a rural area dweller, but the phone still wasn’t completely useless.

I have let myself be told that Jolla C was the same device in every other fashion except that the modem has been changed to one that supports the European frequencies.

There are literally last few new 10 IV units still available where I live (which I assume doesn’t differ much elsewhere), so it’s the last moment when we can choose between the 10 IV or V. If any of those two models seems to be causing less problems with SFOS (e.g. the 10 IV because of having been twice longer on the market and having received much more binary blobs updates from Sony) it would be really helpful to know it. May I please kindly ask @rainemak or someone else from Jolla/yboys to answer the above question? Thank you.

(A few days later) Apparently, I won’t get any answer.

[speculation]

Jolla seem to pick a AOSP from sony and roll with that.
Given that the 10iv and 10v will arrive as a single developed release, i suspect the android version of the supported AOSP version will be the same, i.e. Android 13.

Which would be the release version of the 10v, but the upgraded version of the 10iv.

I don’t know if that is significant, but you’d like to hope that the upgraded version was less buggy than the release version…

2 Likes

I believe there is an option that could work, and is somewhat accessible internationally, and already has a significant lifepsan, it’s the Fairphone (4 is accessible, hopefully 5 will be soon), you can check the bands here, it’s set to Puerto Rico, but you can search your country.

Not to add more work to Jolla, but it would be nice if the Sailfish X license could also be for ports (I believe FP4 has a SFOS port) or for Jolla to add it to this particular device, whose only variants are ram and storage.

I know this is a different topic entirely, but I do believe it’s worth discussing elsewhere.

1 Like

From previously released phones, I got the impression, that any features which are not implemented within the initial release or the first few updates, do not get implemented at all.

So I wouldn’t hold my breath to wait for properly working 3-lens-camera

3 Likes

well, just a properly functioning camera would be nice!

often find:
in low-light the picture never gets taken - seems like it gets stuck in a loop trying to focus.
general delay - can find it sometimes takes 5-10 seconds for a pic to capture, losing the ‘moment’ entirely.

1 Like

In my eXperience 10 III SFOS camera needs a perfectly stable image to take a photo.

Low light introduces flickering pixel noise = movement.
General delay in bright light = means it’s just something moving (either operator or the target), so forget all of your action motion shots…
The shutter button becomes grey, and a photo is taken later (as soon as any movement stabilizes or stops).

3 Likes

as discussed in several threads here, there is a partial solution for the broken focus detection, which is to use camera2 api in android-app-support.
download the android app OpenCamera (or similar), and select Camera2 api from the settings. (also, if you enable the telefoto+wide lenses in camxoverridesettings, you can use them in OpenCamera. just be careful not to select the ‘4th’ lens, which doesn’t exist and will crash the app)

2 Likes

Maybe implementing a Manual-Focus-Mode in Jolla’s camera app could help users take better action and low-light shots by allowing them to set and hold the focus depth manually. This feature could provide more control and flexibility for users who want to fine-tune their photography settings.

2 Likes

Do you see / feel any difference if you use physical shutter key from the side?

there is no physical shutter key on the X10III, its a google assistant button (you can patch mce or do other userspace input handling to trigger a camera, but there is no physical focus-half-press button anyway).

it sounds very much like lietuvys is describing the well-document camera1 focus model bug, present only in 10III, that affects both sailfish AND stock sony android, but is not present in camera2 api and thus not a problem in modern (non-sfos) camera apps.
e.g.: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/camera-refuses-to-take-picture-on-10-iii-focus-hangs