RetroArch for SailfishOS 4.5

Could you also build this for 32 bit devices? Would be much aporeciated

I see landscape mode it’s not supported, can you support it? If rotation is not detected you can then use a trick I used in love2d: detect the resolution which changes when rotating the device and rotate then the screen.

1 Like

Did you make progress with your attempt at building RetroArch on OBS?

1 Like

I’ve seen this in action :slight_smile: Show home:nephros:branches:home:nephros:devel:games:retroarch / RetroArch - SailfishOS Open Build Service

1 Like

Yeah you may try those binaries.

Note that there are some modifications of the usual paths away from ~/.config so some if the autodownload stuff does not work because of permissions.

Have to find the time to streamline this.

If you’re interested in building cores, look at the rpm-macros package and the spec files of some of the core packages that are already there.

2 Likes

I have to admit, I havn’t tried yet since I haven’t really enjoyed playing most games without a controller. Any suggestions for games which are fun with touch?

Well first of all, enable a simple controller overlay (like gameboy or NES). More complex ones like Playstation or N64 are too fiddly with the many buttons.

Then try roms that are controllable with these, and possibly were mobile/handheld in the first place.

I find XRick, most of the various Gameboy roms, NES quite enjoyable.

Amiga and DOSbox are almost impossible to get to the stage where you can play them because they often rely on keyboard and mouse input, and each one needs different combinations of those.
Although it can be done, I’ve played five minutes of Shadow Of The Beast recently.

Also note that while some of the cores I package come with .desktop files, they don’t work yet.

Use command-line to start them, e.g.

retroarch -f -L xrick
2 Likes

Minimal recommendend packages to install:

• retroarch
  • retroarch-assets-minima!
  • libretro-common-overlays-input

Optionally:

• libretro-common-overlays (or specific subpackages)
  • libretro-glsl-shaders

… plus at least one core.

Currently available:

• bnes-libretro
  • bsnes-libretro
  • dosbox-pure
  • gearboy-libretro
  • gw-libretro
  • libretro-blueMSX
  • libretro-gpsp
  • libretro-uae
  • mupen64plus-libretro-nx
  • pcsx_rearmed-libretro

(I’d love to get scummvm working but haven’t managed yet.)

1 Like

Once you have found a setup that suits you, make an emulator or even game-specific config override file (~/.config/retroarch/config/corename/corename.cfg) with your overlay /shader/ … config entries.

docs

1 Like

Yeah, those are the ones I dislike :slight_smile: It’s just me :slight_smile:

Right okay.

I guess Tekken (and friends) on a touch screen would be a bit, well, involved!

1 Like

I just played a round of 1985 Mario Bros on my silly Powkiddy. It’s just great little (cheap) device. Maybe it’s just muscle memory, but trying to tap play those simple games drives me batty.

Hmmmm…

Hmmm. If you’d like one, I could build a couple :slight_smile: I have everything but the jacks.

I should go through my retrostuff boxes, I think I have a NES-to-Wiimote adapter somewhere. That would be Bluetooth, or that wii-semi-bluetooth protocol.

Maybe that works.

I just dug out my NES classic mini controllers. GitHub - floppes/ClassicMiniControllerAdapter: An adapter for connecting one or two Nintendo Classic Mini controllers via USB to a computer

To give credit where credit is due: I am really just mucking around and standing on the shoulders of giants. @smokku did basically all the work, also wiktorek140 and K1ll.

2 Likes

Can you use BT controllers with RetroArch in SFOS?

I don’t know as I don’t have one to try. I did successfully use a BT keyboard and touchpad though.

1 Like

So I added the chum_4.4.0.72_aarch64 repo, downloaded minimal+optional+a couple of cores on my PinePhone Pro and retro arch segfaults when trying to run.

I don’t know if it’s limitations of how the Pinephone Pro works (it’s a native community port, not the usual libhybris based).

I managed to get a 2nd hand Razr Kishi a while back and would like to give it a try…