Replacing an 10 ii by an 10 iii recommended?

I never had issues with echoes or the microphone.

Me neither. I never use the loudspeaker though.

same here, calling works fine.
loudspeaker is not great, but that was also the case with my XA2 and my 10ii

As a 10 iii user you will not notice the echo. The other party will, most probably.

1 Like

As as person who runs its own business I can confirm that 10 III can be considered unusable if you want to have reliable conversation with person on the other end. Not a single call with my clients went without them proposing to hang up because then couldn’t stand the echo.

For some people echo issue is not really a issue and I can understand that there is a lot of “text-oriented” people who couldn’t care less about phone calls, unfortunately this is not a case for me and until this is resolved my 10 III will remain as a toy.

Since there is literally nothing going on for months on the sony side of things I find it very unlikely that the next SFOS update will bring anything new regarding 10 III fixes.

The other remaining issue is the pretty much unusable camera.

So if you care about those two things - stick with 10 II, if you don’t then I can highly recommend 10 III as it’s MUCH faster then for example my XA2 running SFOS.

3 Likes

i’m mostly using a bluetooth headset while at home, and bluetooth as well while in my car - not sure there is echo in that case?

there is not. The problem with echo happens because microphone from the cell phone itself picks up audio from speaker due to the nature of them being close to each other. Usually cell phones have multiple microphones to tackle this issue and if I’m not mistaken the issue with sony open source code for 10 III is misconfiguration (or miscoding?) of logic for echo cancellation (specifics can be found on github).

That’s why current workaround include one of the following:

• use loudspeaker
  • use headset
  • turn volume down (as this will lead to cell phone mic not picking up audio from speaker that much, or at all)
3 Likes

Never had anyone complaint about that. In the beginning i specifically asked, but it is just fine.

1 Like

I’ve had a comment about echo a few times, but lowering the speakerphone volume helped in those cases. Then again, using a wired headset results in absolutely flawless call audio quality.

2 Likes

I never experienced any echo on my 10 III.It seems to be one of these bugs that happen on some but not all phones.

Surely, back in the day there was never echo cancellation on cellphones.
Barring speakerphone (which should be banned as a crime against humanity), i can’t imagine it being particularly important.