[Release notes] Verla 4.2.0

which webview got the plently of improvements ? gecko or webkit? and what improvements , api or …?

Few small configuration glitches on the backend for some device models. Should be fixed now and update should show up to all early access subscribers.

1 Like

It seems, that the Changelog is not yet publicly available in the Forum. Would be nice to give the package changes a look :slight_smile:

EDIT: I see, it is now. Thank you! :smiley:

The update is a whopping 910 MB on my Xperia 10 II. Whew! Looking forward to having it up and running.

Edit: nice to see so many ‘papercuts’ both new and (very) old fixed! Now I just need the Xperia 10 II’s camera to stop making backlit pictures so incredibly dark, then my needs will have been satisfied.

2 Likes

@jovirkuu
“Don’t install Whatsapp from Aptoide, use alternative webstores”, yeah, correctamundo!, but I think this is initially still bad advice, personally I ONLY install and update Whatsapp from Whatsapp’s webpage when Whatsapp itself says “There’s an update!” (funnily enough I mentioned this elsewhere on this forum recently!..echo, echo…)

6 Likes

Since I don’t see it listed, I am assuming the tracker bug on 64bit devices is not fixed? Where if the creation time is unset on one file, it will not index any files? Index for media files & documents not updating (Xperia10 II, 4.1.0.23) - #10 by KuroNeko

Afaik tracker should get a bigger update soon anyway, did that get delayed?

Installed on my Xperia 10 II with no issue. Android apps feel much smoother and better integrated. Not sure if that’s just my imagination. But it feels faster. One thing I disappointed with is no mention of VoLTE support. Where I’m at 3G is being shut down and I can no longer use my sailfish device as a phone. I am currently tethering it to another phone when I go out.

1 Like

Update fails on XA2 4.1.0.24. “Please try again later”
Some symptoms:
I tried to uninstall Storeman before updating as that was mentioned in the notes, but it just won’t disappear from the apps. Then I tried to pkcon refresh, but it just says “waiting in queue” and won’t do anything.
(I do not have any patches installed on the device)
Any ideas what to do next?

edit: After doing reboot with volume buttons up and down together (device vibrates 3 times) the pkcon refresh starts but gives a fail message immediately:
“/etc/zypp/repos.d/ssu_nubecula-mls-offline-repo_release.repo: Section [nubecula-mls-offline-repo]: Line 8 contains garbage (no ‘=’ or ‘:/?|,’ in key)”
That garbage part doesn’t sound too good :smiley: need help…

edit2:
Now the update won’t download anymore, it just says “waiting for connection” for eternity, although Jolla browser loads pages so I do have a connection. Doesn’t start to download with WLAN either.

Multitude of reboots seem to have no effect.

edit 3:
Jolla store now shows “no apps installed”. Hmm, quite interesting already…
I guess I’m heading towards factory reset…
Tried to use “Utilities / Clear Package Cache” in the settings, the phone starts again, but nothing seem to have happened really… and the Jolla Store started to say “Critical Error”.

edit 4:
factory reset solved it, I’m now at 4.2 also
however…the backup utility…I’m pulling my hair off, I don’t get to choose what to backup, I don’t get to choose what I want to restore…and then the worst…restoring stuck for hours and phone useless for the time being…now restored for I don’t know how many hours and cannot know if anything happens for real, or am I waiting for nothing… GRRRR

Thanks for this update! I’m looking forward for all fixes.

“double-tap wakeup” is not mentioned as known issue for Xperia 10 II. Does it mean that it can be enabled somehow? :slight_smile:

Same here on an Xperia 10.

I can confirm: on my Xperia 10 II Android behaves much smoother, overall the systems appears to be smoother.

2 Likes

Failed to update here, XA2 Plus. Downloading was very weird. It was stuck at the first few percent for a long time, which isn’t unusual in itself (apparantly jollas servers are very slow), but then it continued with great spurts and when it reached 50% it suddenly jumped to complete.

I then tried to install it. The phone simply rebooted back into 4.1. Now I’m downloading the update again. Hoepfully it’ll download it for real this time!

A retry showed the same weird behaviour: The download was stuck at a few percent, then quickly went up to about 50% and then was suddenly “complete”. This time the phone got stuck after selecting “install update” and it just kept showing the sony logo. Had to force-reboot the phone. Now I’m back in 4.1.

Edit: Was able to install the update using sfos-upgrade.

FREE SailfishOS updated via terminal from 4.1 to 4.2 on Xperia 10 ii.

Update installation failed around 56% but Settings showed “BUILD: 4.2 (Verla)” after rebooting device.

Completed update in terminal using ‘pkcon update’ to finish installation.

Side note: I removed Storeman Installer as mentioned in the notes, but the installer fails to install Storeman in 4.2, the installer dies silently and its cover disappears. I have commented as much to Storman dev.

Unfortunately not. Line removed by mistake.

Are you sure the storeman installer failed? For me the first time it seemed to “fail” as well, but then it actually did its work. The app launcher now has a storeman entry instead of the storeman installer.

Granted, it’s a bit strange, but it works OK, at least for me.

will there be support for multiple cameras for Xperia 10 in future? or maybe it can already be enabled in some beta state?

1 Like

Xperia 10 does not actually have multiple (useful) cameras. The second one on the back is a bokeh lens intended to snap blurred backgrounds that are edited together with the main image by some app.
It’s a 5 megapixel sensor.

I doubt there is any useful application for it other than to take blurry, low-resolution pictures.

1 Like

Yes, I’m quite sure. Before upgrading, I had installed Storeman on 4.1 using the new installer and it went without a hitch, I commented as much to @mentaljam, but this time, it fails, at least on my device (Xperia 10 ii).

You should fix that error. A proper version of that file shouldn’t even have a line 8.

As a first fix I’d try disabling the repo using ssu dr. Second step, remove it with ssu rr. If it doesn’t help simply delete (with backup) this file. Do a pkcon refresh after each try.

For reference, here’s the content of that file on my device:

[nubecula-mls-offline-repo]
name=nubecula-mls-offline-repo
failovermethod=priority
type=rpm-md
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
baseurl=plugin:ssu?repo=nubecula-mls-offline-repo

Hello
Quick feedback (XA2 plus)

• Calendar:
    deleted calendar accounts (Web calendar) still appear in the list of calendars managed by jolla-calendar
    new calendar account (Web calendar) does not appear in the calendars manage by jolla-calendar
    My web calendar no longer synchronizes : lots of messages in journal : buteo-ooprunner[4200]: [W]

• AlienDalvik: when Android support not launched, 1 message per second in journal : binder: 2965:2965 → 0:0 transaction failed 29189/0, size 32-0 line 2149