[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

@olf rpm was the only command that would successfully remove that package. Normally I use zypper/pkcon neither worked as they failed on the script. Hence rpm -e --noscript
anyway phone is now working where as it was in a broken upgrade state.

That is also my conclusion. It was basically just the version number that was upgraded. Thanks.

I had to use rpm a few times in the past because the scripts failed (can’t recall the packages anymore).

Using Openrepos always has been and still is a double-edge sword, that’s why I remove all even slightly questionable* packages and repositoriea manually before updating SFOS.

*) meaning: packages or repositories containing packages that replace or modify system files and/or core OS functionality - better safe than sorry! And yes, this totally includes my ncurses-compat-libs, which only adds new files.

2 Likes

I got my OTA 4.4.0.58 notification today (XA2) and I was somewhat apprehensive after reading all the horror stories here.

But it all went very smoothly and everything works. I did a backup while it was downloading and the backup notification even survived the upgrade! There is the start page browser bug which will be a bit annoying (I use the browser almost exclusively from shortcuts on the app menu) but I can live with it for the other browser improvements!

I did not uninstall storeman first but removed patches and patch manager some time ago for this very reason ie. upgrades. My three Android apps work fine but they are not complicated (bank login, card games and puzzles).

So thank you Jolla!

10 Likes

Congrats. The horror stories mostly come from a small group of EA-Users or people who experiment a lot with their devices. Keeping somewhere around middle of the road and thinking carefully about what to install and what not to install has given me a stable system for quite some time.

15 Likes

That’s just the way it is; if there’s a problem, people tell about it and want to get it fixed, but if everything goes smoothly, it’s left unsaid more often than not. That only strengthens the point - if all you read about an update is negative, you can get unnecessarily negative impression about it.

That could be changed, I think. For example, Manjaro Linux holds a poll in every release post about how did the upgrade process go and if there were any issues, and that works well in my opinion, and I do give my vote. I’ve been following those for some time now, and it seems to work well!

16 Likes

For example, Manjaro Linux holds a poll in every release post about how did the upgrade process go and if there were any issues, and that works well in my opinion, and I do give my vote. I’ve been following those for some time now, and it seems to work well!

This could indeed be a good idea and doesn’t take a lot of effort to be set up.

6 Likes

I agree, I’d be super happy to fill such a poll - maybe display the results at the top of the [Release notes] topic, so that people can see like:

• 70% of respondents had no issue
  • 20% had a small issue
  • 10% had real troubles

or something like this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A very nice idea. Thank you @direc85 for raising this and proposing to the next community meeting.

5 Likes

update poll: And what about about apps that break? I still get caught by that, even with a test device and public release… Was/is there a place with a list that I missed?

4 Likes

Just to shift the publication bias a bit: I updated my Xperia X to 4.4.0.58 the other day. Upgrading using sfos-upgrade went fine and everything seems to work.

Caveats:
1: Now the root filesystem occupies more than 2 GB, so I will probably not be able to update again.

2: The process was a bit scary…

First attempt via the Settings GUI asked me to remove collectd and SystemDataScope. I did so. Then my phone download the update again, now asking me to remove packages from a to z. The list must have been hundreds of items long.

That’s when I decided to go the sfos-upgrade plus post_sfos-upgrade route, which worked well.

1 Like

And here we have a poll regarding the upgrade process: [Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0

Please take a moment to vote. We’ll consider this in future as well.

10 Likes

Very good idea.
It would be nice to have returns from people who flahed too.
To see the upfrade/flash delta, to compare, maybe.

1 Like

The poll about upgrade needs small precisions :wink:

• on my X10ii : no issue
  • on our Jolla C: no issue
  • on the xa2 of my wife : small issue with the progress bar that stop at 100% and you need to force the reboot to finish the upgrade.
2 Likes

Multiple issues with this upgrade (Sony Xperia X). Tried first with regular OTA method (failed, device bricked twice), then with sfos-upgrade, ended up in an error message (didn’t keep it sorry). At least one of those ‘upgrades’ also erased my 128Gb SDcard completely. Now device is working, BUT (not exhaustive list):

• No access to any folder or file owned by root (permission management changed?)
  • Existing file managers display wrong contents
  • Almost zero patch supported
  • Touchscreen MUCH less responsive than before
  • Good old mcetool trick to restore doubletap on Xperia X no longer working
  • Many apps not supported or broken
  • Hidden changes in Contacts management prevent from restoring them after re-flash
  • Email accounts to be reconfirmed at least twice a day
  • Cannot send email from any account (EDIT: solved after deletion of all mail accounts, uninstall/reinstall email app)
    Notes:
  • The first incident happened while the device was still running Sfos 3.4. Apparently, an unsolicited library update (libcrypto or so) bricked the phone. Some libraries were perhaps momentarily stored in wrong repositories, or SSU was set wrongly. This was the reason for upgrading (I was happy with Sfos 3.4 until then)
  • Device NOT encrypted (I deliberately flashed it from Torronsuo to avoid encryption)
  • The only trial WITH encryption failed. Among other things, no fingerprint could be captured.
2 Likes

Sony X Compact and XA2 no issues with the OTA-Update

XA2 flashed. Only issue: browser click-delay and first page sometimes blocking.
No more MMS problem with patch manager.
Very happy to have an Goopple alternative with so big control and linux tools.

2 Likes

I voted once, update went ok, for X and XA2.

You do realize it is patches and apps that need to support the OS and not the other way around?

3 Likes

Yes I do. Upgrades were performed on a clean device after factory reset, zero app, zero patch. They resulted several times in a bricked phone anyway.
I also expect the successive OS releases are developed with some consideration for backward compatibility as far as possible.