[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.24

Cheers, now there’s your problem. (Referring to https://shop.jolla.com/ under “What you get”.)

I know reflashing to latest version takes time and effort, but there is always an option to pay for the license.

1 Like

SailFish OS is a RPM Linux distribution. With ssu or zypper you can enable, disable and refresh RPM repositories. After that, you can update the system downloading the new 33 packages that are in .21 compared to the .24. I think that it works as well between .19 and .24 and my suggestion is to try that simple way to go and then deciding further actions or not.

Somtimes much less time and effort than trying to fix an old system.

1 Like

Now i’m confused :slight_smile: . @Blumenkraft 's remark is clear, but does updating via ssu still work?

I’m used to having a community edition of SailfishOS on my fairphone2 and have been updating using the procedure listed here:
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_fp2

Should that still work? (Replacing the version number with the one relevant for the X10iii of course).

You are confused because you have been asked too many questions and received too many information most of then not necessarily related to your case. Transition between 4.3 to 4.5 is a big jump (a good designed system would not push this burden on the shoulders of the end-users but this is another story). Transition between .19 and .24 is just two nano-versions .19, .21 and .24 because in the middle there is nothing. Let see it in this way:

4 - version
 5 - sub-version
 0 - micro-version
24 - nano-version

What you really want is not that the .19 turns into .24 but that the functionalities and the bug fixing delivered with the .24 will be installed in your system. You might argue that this is not “upgrading” as you initially asked for but it is reasonably what you want. In this case, the best way to go is to refresh your RPM repositories - supposing that all of them are correctly configured and enabled - and then update all the RPM packages.

devel-su
ssu refresh
ssu update

I wrote these command trying to remember their syntax, because I am not using SailFish OS and I have used it just few months. However and whatever the syntax would be correct or not, you can use ssu or zypper or the default RPM manager pacman or some of them to do obtain the same result:

1. refresh your repositories;
  2. update the RPM packages you are using and they have changed.

That’s all.

ATTENTION

Just a 2nd time reminder:

• this should work in a decently configured system in which all the RPM repositories are correctly configured and enabled.

• updating the RPMs on your system probably will much probably not change the version displayed but all the features and all the bug fixes will be installed.

• because you are moving among two nano-versions the procedure is bare simple but in the most general case the procedure can be more complicated.

Also in Ubuntu moving from 10.04 to 12.04 was not bare simple but the same between 20.04 and 22.04 was much more easy and pleasant. While moving from 20.04 and 20.04.4 was pretty straightforward and this is what we are expecting moving from .19 to .24.

1 Like

Thanks for your informative post.

My main confusion is that one member tells me the free version can’t be updated, the other one telling me it can be updated :slight_smile: .

Are you trying to say that the software can be updated but that the (reported) sailfish version won’t change?

My install is quite fresh (about 6 months old) and i’ve never added/removed/enabled/disabled any repo’s, so i assume it’s ok. Is there a way to verify that?

Try before asking. Then report the result.

Hi @pa4wdh ignore all others and follow @Seven.of.nine `s post. as he quotes @DrDweeb

You can follow Updating Sailfish OS | Sailfish OS Documentation BUT as the guide says:

2 Likes

Thanks for your post @emva.

I’ll get some USB storage so i can do a proper backup (the SD card slot is used by a 2nd SIM), and try the script.

The licensed version has notifications about updates in the UI, and has a GUI updating tool. Free or community versions do not.

All versions have the capability to be updated through the command line, using various methods, among them zypper, ssu, and the sfos-update script.

Note that while community versions (ports) may be updated in theory, some of them do not offer a current version. So while the tools are there, the software packages may not be available.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info.

I’ve used a community version for about 6 years on my fairphone2 so i’m aware that it might be behind a bit (although the maintainer did a good job trying to keep up).

Hi, is broken hotspot fixed on xperia x finally? I know about workaround, but I think that messing with wpa supplicant is not good idea…

@teleshoes: Thanks, this little script does help me to start bluetooth again and for example I can connect to my headphones now. But one issue still remains. Connecting to my car hands-free system it does tell me the pin, but I cannot type it as no keyboord does open.

1 Like

its common for SFOS to not be able to connect to old car headsets/radios. pairing also did not work for me with my car radio, for YEARS.

the workaround i finally found was to change the mode to BREDR-only for pairing, and then put it back to dual.

• restart bluetooth and bluetooth-rkfill-event
  • disable bluetooth
  • edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf setting ControllerMode=bredr
  • enable bluetooth
  • pair car in ui, always allow connections
  • disable bluetooth
  • edit /etc/bluetooth/main.conf setting ControllerMode=dual
  • enable bluetooth

there’s a topic about this somewhere where i may have also written this before, but i didnt see it in a quick glance

8 Likes

Was documented in this thread: Broken pairing, no connection with Bluetooth car kit [10 III, 4.4.0.68] - #13 by teleshoes

3 Likes

@teleshoes : Using my cars hands-free system did work in the past. Unfortunately I can no longer retrace when it stopped working. But your workaround is unbearable in my opinion. To take minutes of fumbling before I can connect the phone to the car, no. Bluetooth seems to be a big construction site at sailfish, what a pity. I’ve been a sailfish user since the beginning, but I’d like to just use my cell phone instead of constantly struggling with workarounds.

2 Likes

fair enough, but to be clear you only have to do it once. once the device has been paired, ever, it can connect like a normal device (until you hit ‘forget’ in the menu, then you have to do it again)

2 Likes

Great recipe, and it shouldn’t take too much to make some variant of an UI for it.
(maybe similar to the X10iii triple camera button).

Or a patch which toggles the setting directly when applied.

1 Like

@teleshoes: Ok, under these conditions I would give it a try.
But currently, after a factory reset, I’m installing all patches except the last ones, which probably caused the Bluetooth problem.

I did the factory reset and afterwards installed all avaible patches until 4.5.0.24 and all does work fine again.