Re-organisation of Jolla company

Hi mr bang
how much would one need to pay to you to make you stop writing to this forum? Just out of curiosity. It’s probably more than I (or even multiple people together) are willing to chip in, but it is still probably less than e.g. 900k€ and it would make a lot of people happy, so just wanted to check if it’s something feasible

7 Likes

Because others people are in charge to abuse of them… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This sounds great!

In such a way I can buy all the interesting assets from Jolla Oy with 10% of that sum biding into their bankruptcy procedure. Then, with the rest of the money I might decide to start up a company for which the business core would be RedFish OS and for a no more of the 10% of the total effort refactoring the SailFish OS just as side business - totally opensource - because it would be unfair to keep it closed.

Do not worry about the forum. I am not going to rule over it. Just keep watching at it… :wink:

I suggest you to wait for collecting and donating money, because they might find a way of zombify the company and carry on up to 2033. In such a case there is a serious risk that you will be forced to switch to RedFish OS for real! :rofl:

This you should ask to those send me here to help you all and Jolla Oy. My educated guess on the same day I met them: they tough that I were an idiot and it is always a great deal to let people think that of me… :blush:

I trust in your generosity. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

the reply looked boring, no specific sum given as answer, tl;dr

1 Like

Both Jolla and SFOS have always got their revenue from more than just selling licenses to end users. It’s all there on jolla.com and sailfishos.org/cases, please take a look. Yes, without Russia it looks a bit thin atm, but I believe it’s a growing market - esp. since the EU is starting to put into practice decisions about using & supporting native FOSS more.

5 Likes

I truly wish Jolla oy the best. Perhaps these uncertain times and the anomalous geopolitical scenario are also making the situation worse.
From the outside - because J-D is external and independent mini shop - I believe that the main medium term problem was the Russian ownership, and it seems to have been overcome with the re-organisation.

Another aspect to understand well (I haven’t found any news on this topic) is IF Jolla’s recent pivot in the automotive field is going well, or if that’s draining all the costs.

On the license topic, over the years I have noticed that by proposing a license for Sailfish OS and that’s it (with the Predictive text engine only) separate from Android Support… you could sell many more licenses, as many users DO NOT want Android apps in their Sailfish phones.
Jolla will have to define the 2 prices carefully but it’s a way to rise the numbers…

9 Likes

It can be a nice idea. However, imagine that the predictive text will cost €10 and the full license €50, then many people will buy the €10 instead of €50. On the other side, if the price policy would be €40 and €50, it will be a small change and probably many will still buy the full license just in case one day they might need an Android app. The license price is tailored for companies more than end-users which are an insignificant profit source, IMHO. I wrote many times, that we are just beta-testers, here.

1 Like

Im surprised you are surprised; you didnt know?
Back in Narikkatori, the sfos logo got a “beta” slapped on it. I dont mind personally; if you mind (as seems to be the case) theres always less beta options around, like android or ios :slight_smile:

I don’t know how old are you, but I have heard this song from EU around 2005, when they wanted to replace Microsoft Office with OpenOffice … it is 18y - nothing happened. EU is incompetent. I wouldn’t relay on them.
If you have any sources to back your proposition, please share.

7 Likes

Watching the market closely, Qt itself is very active there. It is high competition. It could be however that there is demand and Jolla surely can fit.
In my opinion / analyses this is act of desperation because when you are specialized in telecommunication, you do not switch the field completely and write software for automotive.
It could be they are working on Navigation or Entertainment system … but it is not the field Jolla has background … hence … I stand with the hypothesis of desperation. Added to this the fact or rumors that capacity is cooling, Hence the conclusion “Go woke, go broke”.
In fact I do not care, if someone is woke, but it is bad if Jolla goes broke.
And take this with humor, don’t flag, please :slight_smile:
BR

Agree. The EU is not helping, unless there is some Euro-planning call that everyone missed.
A Euro-planning call for an alternative GDPR / privacy ready mobile operating system… :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

The plan is “All sold out” (of course to the US).
I can tell stories, how funding was cut, how competition was destroyed, how science was drained.
It is so pathetic that meanwhile I am ashamed for Brussels! We are heading definitely south.
This is why I am so concerned about Jolla. It is one of the things that are still left over from the world that was half a way normal.

4 Likes

Actually SFOS would be a must for EU seen the GDPR and the fact that we don’t know how much information Google in the US is getting from european devices, and if this data is declared and handled under GDPR. It is a big question mark. But if you followed the law suit of this young austrian law student against Meta, probably EU parlament and also juridiction is influenced by corporations. Probably Google is buying its “monopoly” by paying the right persons. What are thousands or millions if you can make billions…

4 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Re-organisation of Jolla company - Off-topic discussion

1 Like

Yeah guys, paying for a license to access SFOS on every device (be it SFOS X or ported) sounds like a great idea! I am sure that locking developers out from accessing the OS source code either at all or with a paywall would be a successful strategy!1!!

/s

1 Like

I think a subscription model is a reasonable proposition. Somehow a proper business model is necessary in order to survive. We are facing one of the disadvantages of ‘free’ internet. I guess most of us dislike the surveillance capitalism that is behind so many digital services. But developers need a living too, so from a workers point of view payment is fair. Besides, payment can be an incentive to improve the quality of the product. It works both ways: consumers pay and can expect something in return: e.g. a plan, updates, maintenance of the app store.
Angel capital for a start can be nice, funding by the EU too, but being dependent on a national government is problematic.

5 Likes

Multiple posts in this thread received off-topic flags and the discussion seemed to be veering away from the original topic. I’ve therefore split off those posts into their own thread in the hope that the conversation here can remain on track.

If anyone (especially the Original Poster) is unhappy with this or feels I’ve broken the thread of conversation please let me now privately.

39 Likes

I was meaning the creation of an intermediate “Predictive only+Jolla Support” license, to be priced around the 60% following of the License with Android Support, following the typical pricing strategies.

A free version is helpful for the newcomers.

2 Likes

For Android Support based on Alien Dalvik there is no future unless Alien Dalvik turns completely open-source. The company who developped and support Alien Dalvik is Swiss but French controlled and France is betting on /e/OS and Murena 2 smartphone. Therefore, there is no way that solution will be further implement and updated unless it turns completely open-source. RIP.

To my understanding the original developer of Alien Dalvik, Myriad Group, has sold the rights to Jolla, and Jolla now continues the development.

8 Likes

They cannot afford to develop even their own system and the “energy from community” approach which at the moment is focused only on applications do not seem being able to fulfill this lack. Hence, it is quite improbabile that they can develop Alien Dalvik further.

Moreover, unfortunately, the rights of distribution and develop under a NDA do not let us to hope that those rights will help us to free the Alien Dalvik source code in a bankrupt procedure. However, there are other solutions (e.g. WayDroid) to go for supporting Android app running on a Linux system.

This puts us in the position that we are not in a desperate need for anything but relaxing and waiting or even better works for something else which will be useful in the near future.