Re-organisation of Jolla company

Apparently the user base is too small to even generate enough revenue to pay for the infrastructure

1 Like

So the situation is pretty grim?
What we can do? Let’s all buy one license, don’t know what to say

Yes, and store all installation files for flashing and all needed app installation files on local computer for later offline installation, for worst case…

2 Likes

Oh damn, no way. Jolla, survive, please, do not let the ship sink into the sea :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The future of SFOS would not so dark or even jeopardized, if it were a real open-source operative system supported by a system developers community like CentOS (or based on it).

Unfortunately none of these two requirements is true.

Sailfish OS never was an open source OS, nor ever claimed to be.
This is also the reason for which it works reasonably. Most of the critical bugs reside in open source parts (i. e. AOSP) but nevertheless there is not all this haste by the community to address them.

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Re-organisation of Jolla company - Off-topic discussion

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Re-organisation of Jolla company - Off-topic discussion

This is true, but mostly because few people like (or have the know-how) to get their hands that dirty into kernel code or Android in general.

FWIW, some of the really critical bugs are due to Sony giving us broken blobs that we can work around only to a certain extent: this situation is unavoidable unless the devices run mainline, which is an extremely long and painful journey.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that page has been started to be backup-ed by Internet Way Machine since 8th Nov 2022 only and here the first screenshot available

Technically speaking s/10/11/ or s/10/12/ in my original claim for some devices but just 9 for others.

However, why the same SFOS cannot work with the same Sony AOSP version independently of the device?

The last one is 13 for Seine hardware platform. Explain me, after all you are the expert… :wink:

When you will answer my question, above, you will find the proof of my other statement you asked to me. :wink:

spoiler: because SFOS cannot correctly initialize the hardware otherwise. Discover why!

spoiler 2: the day in which Sony will adopt the architectural design suggested in my SFSCON slides, they will be able to provide a single ASOP image for all their devices and a boot/rescue image tailored for each specific device or a set of three - I think - three images but because Android expects to find some stuff in some separate partitions - however - because the stuff can be mounted with bind option, there is not a reason to keep it separate - however - it would be not nice to clog the device memory with about 128 MB of stuff when 2/3 of it can stay saved on a partition or two which is also better for OTA updates. That day SFOS will stop to work, unless redesigned.

none about the root filesystem and just one about the kernel as far as it means a porting for another well-documented and largerly more limited than a smartphone piece hardware.

That blobs are the firmware and you do not need either to use as-is. I don’t in fact. If you expect that Sony does a work for you, you can wait until the end-of-time. Then, why do I cultivate some hopes that Sony will adopt my design? Because they have the skills to do that and an advantage to do that. That’s why.

I did not understand the question.

Please let me know in a private message where you got this information from.

Sorry, I do not know how to discover why this happens.

You already seem to know the answer yourself, any reason you are asking me questions?

Is there any reason why you are picking my post word-for-word? This is in violation of the forum guidelines as it seeks to criticize my post, not the idea.

I see, but please give proof of this.

I see.

3 Likes

It sounds like you are having issues with drivers.
I had a similar problem with the tablet (teclast x64) back in the days, and
had to patch the upstream driver to fit the header file structures.
After that, driver was loading fine and interface was able to connect & get ip.

My plan, under the case where Jolla can be bought by my holdings company, I’d reposition SFOS to be a truely security focused platform. Both defensively and offensively. I have a handful of big label security companies, including my own, who’d be happy to get a little bit of that action through paid partnership. SFOS doesn’t need to replace Android or iOS. That is a fools errand. The things mainstream users use their devices for are not easily achieved without billions in investment. And they will not part with these things. Finding a niche that can be filled and wedged open is the ticket.

9 Likes

Ditto. If I wasn’t so busy working on wedging open an ISO process, I’d probably being doing ‘let’s acquire jolla’ for fun. ISO standards documentation work is not as much fun as mobile operating system stuff. Sigh.

4 Likes

Nope, driver and firmware are those provided by Sony for that device and they work under Android. It is just my fault (or laziness) that I did not continued to dig into Android boot (reverse-engineering) to find all the passages for completing the activation.

However, it is also a deliberated choice. I am fine with it, as reported and why. I left behind the issue for those will come to extend the project. It is a nice test bench and an opportunity to say “bravo” to someone else.

When I was leading the LUG Genova and its lab activities the harshest punishment for individual or teams that messed-up something very important (like the network configuration for a network device) was to complete it or remade it from scratch. Otherwise, I was helping other to succeed.

But, yes, I admit - I have a strong character and - for example - when someone presented me a PoC of a thinclient that has fixed network configuration and lacks of any menu to reconfigure it - when an automatic system like DCHP would be necessary, instead - I take my way straight. Well, not because I have to repeat many times the same thing without being understood - it can be my fault, it was not obviously - but because I was in need of that device to continue the activities and then I did by myself.

With some more experience, I learned that critical tasks cannot be assigned to anyone but just selected people. In such a way the others are free to miss their deadlines or mess-up things. Not always possible, but in theory.

Oh, seen it before. If it were a hopeless company, I wouldn’t build so much software for it. But, whatever.

7 Likes

It is called sunk cost bias - I had invested to much to accept that it is all gone.

I hope you are right and I am wrong but nerveless this is a red flag of a deeply biased opinion.

Have you been paid for it?

• Yes, it is sentimental driven bias.
  • No, it is ego-driven even hard to go along with.

I have seen in the past people that blame me to having shutting done something that was worthless for me and even a burden for me but a great advantage for them. It is the same old story, suck the value and leave debts to others. Sentimental and ego losses are also debts left behind by someone else and it is our duty (or discipline) to accept the loss and do not play anymore a masochistic game.

Your red flag is a red herring. I ‘returned’ to SFOS development after a hiatus. The sunk cost bias has entirely been caused by Android and iOS (ting!). Oops. Don’t feed the troll.

Don’t feed the troll.

Don’t feed the troll.

12 Likes

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I support Jolla and try to support people in the community because IT IS FUN. Really. I don’t really care what people think. But, if you make a bug report, I will do what I can to see it is addressed. For all who were in the community meeting today, you are aware that people at Jolla behave in this way.

15 Likes

And I am very happy about it (I am probably not the only one) and using (enjoying) your apps.

That’s correct :slight_smile: I know it is difficult.

I am a big fan of our community. We do have some really great developers here which contributed a lot to SFOS and other mobile operating system platforms. At this points: thank you all again for making SFOS possible :sailboat: :fish:

I love SailfishOS and @Jolla as well. Of course there are some things which really needs to be improved (especially in the communication and licensing area) but I think some statements about the quality of SFOS (especially the architecture of some SFOS components of the eco system) in this topic here are just wrong. It is really difficult to concept and developing an operating system, no matter on which platform it is running. I think SFOS is great software which of course has some points of improvements. But to claim that it is bad/or broken by design is not only wrong but also presumptuous. Well just my two cents about the topic.

On open question is, do we know a time frame or a specific date when information about the current state of the company will be published?

12 Likes