Quick start guide v1.7.3.4

Using a free UDP VPN that slow down the clock sync of the modem/GPS which is extremely important for such hardware subsystem and getting 30s in cold start after a reboot is a short time, IMHO. Without the patch, there was no hope to have a fix indoor. I did not tried suplpatcher but everyone who tried and I asked about did not gave me any numbers.

I will try later wihout the VPN on my terrace. Just to see how fast is when it meets optimal conditions, instead the worst. As far as I rember, also my Samsung smartphone after a reboot takes its time to gave me a fix indoor. I never take the time, obviously but it was long enough to be perceived. If A-GPS fix on SFOS performs in a way that I did not feel the lack of my Samsung, then it is good enough in dealing with the cold fix.

POST SCRIPTUM

After all the proof-of-concept has been delivered good enough to stimulate Jolla employes to tune it for the best. As an begginer amateur, I think that I did enough.

Suplpatcher for example is not needed on th X10iii. It was the only way on the XA2 to disable TLS in the modem because it is not possible to upload new certificates. On the 10iii TLS is disabled by default.

What’s about x10ii? Before setting the XTRA CA PATH, it was behave like XA2, indoor.

Thanks for the A-gps patch, I was too lazy to find out how to edit config files myself, especially as I don’t really understand what I’m doing

1 Like

I in my great stupidity installed aptoide and now I can’t uninstall it from app launcher, it keeps coming back. Would uninstalling from terminal work and what is the command?

Try to remove it from the Jolla Store. Instead, by command line would be something like this:

devel-su /bin/sh
pkcon search aptoide
pkcon remove aptoide (or whatever the search returns back)

I hope this helps, R-

Well, Aptoide is gone now. A-gps patch was working completely fine yesterday but it suddenly stopped working at night. Only change I remember doing was installing triple camera toggle. I tried removing it, no effect, A-gps won’t activate anymore.

Mine stopped to work with the VPN but still work with the plain 4G connection. I suppose, you have installed the 0.0.8. I am going to deliver a 0.0.9 soon. The new might fix your problem but it does not seem able to fix the one related to the VPN.

I’m not using vpn. It was working just fine even without sim 2 activated, I tried activating it now but no diffrence. I also tried older versions of patch.

I relesed the new one but I do not think that will change the issue which probably it is related to this lines:

# this is modify for xtra Donwload interval
# only valid for mobile network data
XTRA_INTERVAL = 86400

I will try with this interval set to zero just in case the modem saved it into a non-volatile memory. If you want try by yourself switch off the GPS, change the config and execute:

• systemctl restart ofono

Then try to use the GPS when everything raise up again.

BTW, which device are using X10 II or II?

10 III and i have definetly no energy to try anything right now.

1 Like

On X10 on mobile data and outside it works really instantaneous… Inside it’s a totally different story

Did you tried the last version v0.1.0 of my PM patch available on Web Catalog?

The cold start takes near 30s indoor to fix the point with my X10II while in every others conditions¹ is pretty immediate.

NOTES

¹ except when using a UDP VPN IPv4-only with no leaks but I am working on that

DEVELOPER MODE + USB TETHERING

Just in case you are annoyed to have too many USB modes to choose among and you wish not install one of these with pkcon:

• usb-moded-connection-sharing-android-connman-config
  • usb-moded-connection-sharing-android-config

then you can use the developer mode as USB tethering following sending this command to your smartphone:

ssh root@192.168.2.15 '\
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o vpn0 -j MASQUERADE \
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet_data1 -j MASQUERADE \
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet_data2 -j MASQUERADE \
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

Sometimes, instead of rmnet_data2, it could be rmnet_data1. Therefore both have been added with vpn0 before them. If you are using a VPN to connect then the VPN should be connected at that time because if you connect VPN after then some traffic will be routed trought the mobile data connection and trasmited in clear. In case you wish to granted yourself against data leaks, you add just the rule for vpn0.

You can also save this string in your .profile or .bashrc creating an alias:

alias usbth="<put here the long string above>"

and reload your profile con source .profile or .bashrc.

conclusion

If you do not live in developer mode, then install one of the package listed above.

UPDATE #6

If you like this guide and you like the idea that it will be continued to be extended and improved then consider to offer me a coffe, a beer or a pizza as your concrete sign of support and appreciation of my on-line activities. Thanks. R-

Note: the donation form accepts credit cards, also.

UPDATE #7

In the new section USER BACKUP a script that allow you to make your home data backup leveraging the developer mode SSH connection.

UPDATE #8

The session USB PROBLEMS has been updated with unbind and bind back USB devices and alternative fastboot usage that can replace - in extremis - the flash.sh procedure.

UPDATE #9

The last backup procedure script has been added into USER BACKUP section.

At this point the Settings:System → System:Backup can be put in condition to work also using SSH connection. Below the “Add cloud account” can be added a button for “Use the SSH connection” with brief instructions. Then, also the restore procedure can be added.

UPDATE #10

The microG project components are not anymore available on F-Droid, in particular about com.google.android.gms the page reports the error 404 Page Not Found. While the UnifiedNlp component org.microg.nlp is still hosted but AFAIK, it does not work anymore and its lack of support for the recent Android versions is not a news. Therefore, I will not suggest to install them, anymore.

UPDATE #11

About VPN services there is a very interesting post on F-Droid blog which refers to others articles and independent studies. I am going to add it into the guide creating a new section for the VPNs.

1 Like

thx for the guide very helpful

2 Likes

UPDATE #12

this post has been moved at the end of Quick First Setup Guide.

UPDATE #13

The Quick Start Guide move here:

because this post cannot be edited anymore.