Qt 5.15: what's next?

I’m a bit curious. I just naturally (on the non Jolla license devices) install presage. it’s pretty good. You mean the stuff from jolla, or? Greek was your language, or? If so, it would be a crime to not support Greek!

Use Qt Runner and set Override DPI to value around 240-300

this does not work for me - still the same effect - i do not get a visible UI. Most likely the problem is the “symbol lookup error” at the bottom of the screenshot. So undefined symbol with “audio converter volume”. I am wondering why it is working for others …

It is weird, as I installed it on my development device and it had no issues with the symbols lookup.

Maybe a corrupt file? Did you try installing the kirigami demo gallery?

Qtmultimedia is missing?

Gallery demo works fine.

Which package do i have to install for Qtmultimedia? Cannot find that one in the Chum GUI…

Unset Apps only in CHUM GUI settings.

1 Like

Ok. That did the trick. However the app crashes after a few seconds - when “Scanning music”. Last entry in log is “Killed” :frowning: At least the UI is now showing up.

1 Like

This could be OOM killer. I have it on one device as well - no idea what does it find among my files.

So you can make Plasma mobile work on top of SailFish OS? :question:

1 Like

I wonder what the sailmates think?

Mate here.

I think we need to aim for a better world for all mobile phone users, so they can use FOSS components as much as they like :stuck_out_tongue:
As @rinigus says, SFOS is daily driver material, even though it is partly closed-source.
Having this Qt5.15 layer makes it more attractive than before with new apps available and developers potentially jumping on the opportunity - but not for FOSS hardcore enthusiasts… (On the other hand, all hybris ports for that matter have dozen of closed source droid binaries…)
Going to the full-FOSS thing but alienating the existing community is not a wise move to make abruptly.

So yes, there is much to debate about what’s next.
I personally like the approach of styling the kirigami apps to be more closer to the theme.

But in all fairness, an association like Sailmates should probably help with the resources/hosting/services/etc in case e.g. community OBS is not enough, rather than opinions and decisions.

4 Likes

Its not a crime. Its just a small percentage of the user base.

Ideally Jolla would adopt presage and we would be able to add every language we need. Everyone would be happy -meaning Jolla would have a complete OS from a localization POV and weird tongue people like me be able to use their languages.

IMO the selection of components SFOS uses needs to be re evaluated in many areas. And TBH i don’t feel like QT was a good idea as the base toolkit. Its been mostly trouble. Anyway.

Ditto. I Whatever we can do to win dev mindshare and extend the utility of sfos while maintaining infrastructure.

Yes, this. I think Jolla is a bit stuck in legacy land. Presage was, I believe, not an option when they began with SFOS so I can see why.

1 Like

One of the issues is that for stuff that are not licence bound they don’t move also. And i am not sure they would accept/merge contributions that fix those issues. Ie replace whatever is used with presage.

2 Likes

But would it be part of mer mw?

To reply to that, we would have to figure out what to do next :slight_smile:

Our work so far has been on open source components and I expect that it will continue along the same lines. Hopefully, it will be useful for Sailfish OS, Nemo Mobile and others OS / environments.

I started looking into compositors and it seems like Lipstick based one would make most sense for us on SFOS. It has integration with many SFOS components already and, on Nemo side, is already ported to Qt 5.15. Started with looking into compositors is to figure out which gestures are available for apps and reserved for compositor. Although, cannot promise at this stage that I will dig deeper and start working on that…

Hi, maintainer of Kalendar and heavy contributor to kde-pim and plasma mobile ecosystem here. Kalendar goal is to be a full PIM solution. We currently have the calendar and address book part mostly done, and we are in the progress of adding email functionality (currently hidden with a config flag). Most of our work involve making the pim libraries for handling calendar, contact, and email also more easy to use directly from QML (with Kirigami but this should also work with Silica or any qml toolkit). We will have three GSoC projects this summer, which hopefully will bring us nearer to our goal.

Recently we also started to decrease the memory usage of akonadi and to make the sqlite backend a lot more stable (I have some experimental branches reducing memory usage by 40% and I think I can reduce it even more). See for example, our blog post from yesterday March/April in KDE PIM - Kontact Suite

Generally I’m happy to collaborate on things as long as my bandwidth allows it :wink:

23 Likes

Yes; I would think it would be more “natural” to add eventual missing wayland extensions to lipstick rather than the other way around :slight_smile:
Im thinking mostly subsurfaces yes!

1 Like