Privacy and security of SailfishOS

Sooo, having recently been involved in building one of these:

I’ll try to explain how modern manufacturing sometimes take shape. This is a prototype. Based on a design by a Belgian Academic (who also built and distributed the first design, made god knows where), it was designed (using kicad) by a German engineer, living in Taipei. I, being a long time user of the initial design, said, hey, I’ll throw some money at this problem. Europe or China? I suggested we could try aisler (where I have always done the first batch of pcbs of a project, in the past). He had never heard of them. But we had both used JLC (in hong kong). Let there be no doubt, JLC rocks at an 8th the price. Still, not gonna stop sending work to aisler to try to keep the home fires burning. Anyway, the components ON the board are made all over. Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea and, of course, China. Now, trying to source components in a BOM based on anything other than a technical specification is nigh to impossible at the moment. So, the providence of the parts is just a question of whether, as in this case, JLC has the tolerances in stock AT ALL (hope, hope, hope).

I have a collection of CMOS which I’m nostalgic about (I also have a lot of printouts of philips and texas instruments specifications). I like designing with it. I like soldering it. Quite a lot of that was still made in Europe or the US. Today, most ALL the electronic components I use are sourced in Asia. That’s many thousands of different parts. In my basement. Our best hope is South Korea. And Taiwan. Include them in the EU. Give them membership in NATO. I kid you not.

I think the Xperia 10ii was made in Thailand, but I’m not sure.

4 Likes

@poetaster - please stop inserting politics into technical discussion. Your personal preferences offend my own and we do not want to talk about who’s right and wrong here.
Just to mention that Taiwan is officially part of China and both Taiwan and South Korea have nothing to do with the Atlantic. Also if this happen it will mean WW3 and you will vaporize together with all of us including Taiwan and China.
Sit down and think deeply and more intense on this matter, because you and of your kind endanger all of us.

My solution is to sober from colonial past and start respect the others. Start being competitive again, which mean rethinking the whole concept we apply here: having more children, better education, better salaries/price ratio etc. Stop talking war, please! We are 1 second away from annihilation!

I hope you will not flag my post again. As I do not flag yours for offending me, but I openly discuss this and put forward my arguments.

Good suggestion followed by a subjective implementation… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

BTW, I want to add my 2 cents: 1. nuclear world annihilation is almost improbable but NEMPs can drive the world back to the dark age (technologically speaking) and 2. probably it will be the only viable “solution” that it would save the human specie from extinction due to overpopulation thus more childbirths does not seem the right answer under this PoV but just looking forward to an hands-by-hands confrontation like in the dark ages were used to.

No offense intended. As my post mentions, I do business in China and Taiwan. I have never flagged anyone’s posts and don’t know what you are referring to. The point of my post was to express my hopes as a producer of things in Europe for the well being of Asian nations which I depend on.

Now that is offensive. My appeal is for Europeans to take the fates of producing people in Asia seriously and not just view them as cheap labour. I seem to have failed to make that point. ‘You and your kind’? You must be kidding. That kind of us vs. them talk is what creates conflicts, no?

EDIT: we’re way off topic, which is certainly a bit my fault!

6 Likes

What is this on the photo, please? Highly interesting! Some Raspi stuff?

That is a ‘noloti’, precursor to the ‘ksoloti’ both of which are the children of ‘axoloti’, Axoloti Core | Axoloti It is a computing platform for audio processing, making instruments, effect machines, you name it. GitHub - sebiik/ksoloti: Sketching embedded digital audio (custom firmware for sebiiksbcs "axo-427-core" board is the home of the new device. Sebastian has done a great job. I just put in some cash for an second run of prototypes. If anyone is interested in dedicated audio processing machines, DM me.

2 Likes