Pls jolla i love you

PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS

4 Likes

If I have to be honest, I do not think that they will focus on a premium-high-end (900€+) device. Most of the fancy characteristics would probably be lost by unlocking the bootloader as well as -unfortunately- due to the limitations of Sailfish.

8 Likes

Would it not make more sense to just sell the Xperia 1 and buy a 10 III (once SFOS for the Mk.III comes out) should you already own it?
It is very, very unlikely they will support the Xperia 1 III ever (they only focused on the 10, 10 II, 10 III so far) as they don’t have unlimited resources and you would probably be the single person using it anyway :slight_smile: .

Apart from the camera app, nothing would be lost imo. Imagine the already smooth sfos on that beautiful 4k 120hz display and snapdragon 888 it would be so op. Also not to mention it would be the best sailfish port camera wise because the hardware is second to none. it would churn out the best possible pics considering the limitations of sailfish image processing, any other phone would have worse pics (except the xperia pro i of course).

I highly doubt id be the single person using it. My current main device is the oneplus 7 pro that i used from around mid 2019, there are many people looking to replace their main device. Its funny you mention that though, bc afaik the main complaint i hear about sailfish x is that 1. Its sony exclusive 2. Its on mediocre phones. Lets be real with ourselves, sony has very mediocre midrange phones, its no poco. But the flagships, especially the 1 iii, is the most well rounded flagship probably to date. They also have several business deals with a large russian corporation, im sure buying a few 1 iiis to test wouldnt hurt. Also it was only recently that sony added the 1 ans 5 series to the open devices, so its not like jolla avoided supporting them.

I guess I’m not the only one here who bought and used the Nokia N9 before. An expensive, high-end device back in the day. I still miss the OLED with always-on display, the small form factor and UX. But yeah, I’d rather buy a high(er)-end device. While my XA2 provided great value for the money, it feels sluggish with browsers, which are by far the most demanding app I use. TBH the CPU was mediocre in that regard from the get-go.

Unrelated to Jolla, it is sad that even in 2022 we can’t just install a Linux distro of choice on a smartphone, like on pc’s, and that we’re still dependent on android blobs. The exceptions are rare, and very much not high-end.

4 Likes

Many people have asked for an official port of Sailfish onto a variety of phones, both Sony and non Sony over the years for all sorts of reasons (size, sustainability, ‘better’ phone, more affordable phone, etc). Such requests have been made on this forum, its predecessor, and at community meetings. Maybe Jolla consider these requests, maybe they don’t - but as far as I know, nothing has ever come of them. Unless of course your request just happens to be the next model in the product plan they had for SFOS anyway. Even if, by some miracle, Jolla said they’d do an official port for your desired phone model next, and given that they haven’t even released their next planned port for the Xperia 10 iii yet, you’d be looking at least a couple of years away … By which time your desired flagship would be a flagship no longer. Jolla is a business and the community does not call the shots - Sailfish is what it is.

2 Likes

Sad, but understandable given that probably 99% or greater of non Apple phone hardware is designed to be used with Android. There would be no business case for most phone manufacturers to do anything different or extra I guess.

Jolla only supports devices on the open devices program. The only high end phones on that list were the xz3 series i believe, and that was before the xperia 10s were added. So jolla probably considered the xz3 series too old to support and went with the 10s. Only recently were the 1 and 5 series added on that program. Even if it does take them some time to support them, theyre still running on sd888 which i doubt anyone would have a problem with before its like 5 years outdated, its a very good processor.

I’d be ok to pay that kind of money for a 5 iii IF they were ~35mm shorter and got all the cool camera functionality from sony.

1 Like

is there a way.to define a filter in the forum to hide threads about device requests and next update dates ?

8 Likes

My 10 II has an OLED screen and some always on display (you need to enable it manually using the mcetool). And the performance is pretty good too, at least faster than I need. I don’t think a 1 III provides that many benefits.

1 Like

The camera support in Sailfish is not that great. The images would still look much worse than on Android. As such at least some of the money goes to waste. Sailfish also hasn’t really been optimized for 120Hz, so some things would probably break and 4k would probably kill your battery life (Android dynamically adjusts the resolution because of that). So yes, I think you would lose most of the benefits of the higher tier device and you would have more bugs, because fewer users are using that phone, who can report bugs. Maybe someone should do a community port to test the waters though and if it works well, Jolla can adapt it or Jolla finally makes Android support and the other features available for community ports.

1 Like

If sailfish would install as easy as magisk on any android hardware… we wouldn’t have device conversations.

I concur. I also bought and used the N9 until J1 came out. No other smartphone I have had was even close to it from form factor, UX and building quality (Made in Finland, btw). The only drawback the phone had, was the SIM tray and the USB charge “cover”.

2 Likes

Still, even if 10 people (which I highly doubt) would be willing to pay for the license this still is considerably less than Jolla would have to invest to even buy the required hardware. :slight_smile:

The latest PinePhone Pro looks decent enough.

Manufacturers are under pressure from Google for years and it’s getting worse. Soon they have to write ‘Powered by Android’ on the back of their phones.

I’m afraid we will have to create custom stickers for newer Xperias to get rid of that :grin:

3 Likes

Daily driver able? (I am not hungry at all: call, mms, pictures)