Paying for mapping services

Best stats I have is from Maptiler. We hit 100000 tiles usually in 12-13 days. Now that stats represents users from SFOS and Flatpak, and who didn’t add their own keys. In addition, we have users with the keys, using other OSes (Ubuntu Touch is probably of the same size as SFOS, maybe bigger).

Focusing on one provider is somewhat against of what Pure Maps does - allows you to switch them. Would have to think about the rest…

So round up to 1/2 million tiles a month, conservatively. Thanks!

It’s about making a beginning. But one could choose 2 to begin with. It’s just easier to begin with one clearly defined goal, measure your success, add the next goal, etc. If I’m not mistaken, it should still be possible to allow people to use keys of their own? Let’s say a default mode that’s backed by a non-profit? I’m just thinking in bite sized pieces here.

Indeed, it is about making the beginning. TBH, I don’t know where to start and I am not sure even I want to know it. Let’s see if someone enthusiastic to start this adventure will show up.

As for personal keys, it is up to an app to enable or disable it. Don’t forget, it is supposed to be used by many apps and no lock to Pure Maps or similar is expected.

The beginning is best made in small steps.

I’m not familiar enough with pure maps or @karry 's osm stuff. So I’m not sure what things should or should not be ‘tightly coupled’.

In any case, my suggestion about focusing on one provider was not about limiting the app, but providing a single default which would be the first goal of an organization to provide financing for. The idea is simply to get a org going to fund ONE key to support ‘ease of use’ for the base that, hopefully then donates for that fact, among others.

I’m personally going through a phase (ahem) where I’m giving up working for something that I helped create. So I’m in an ambiguous state about ‘founding’ things at the moment. On the other hand, I’m interested in the venture. But I don’t understand it clearly enough (I’m in public transport api and camera land at the moment). So, I tend to think of the KISS thing. Without getting into the nitty grittys of funding a tiling server.

Maybe we need a list of ‘units’ that need funding but could be founded/funded individually?

1 Like

So, apparently this is a thing… https://peermaps.org/
The extra data involved doesn’t sound super-nice, but then again, in many places data is very cheap. Very likely cheaper than any subscription would be (not that i oppose having one).
…and contributing to hosing from anywhere seems implicitly solved.

I am not sure we will be happy to run it on mobile, as I expect such sharing (serving data for others) would reduce phone sleep and battery life in the end. It is also not going to improve overall money flux and bring an ability for us to pay for the services. It looks to be somewhat orthogonal by reducing / eliminating costs, but those services will not be fully replaced (traffic for example).

2 Likes

German users may subscribe to daily updates of a speedcam-DB, available here: Übersicht der unterstützten Hersteller - SCDB.info - Die weltweite Blitzerdatenbank
I remeber I had a compatible app issuing warnings when approaching cams on my N900 but I couldn’t find anything compatible for Sailfish yet, unfortunately.

1 Like

A project outa hawai’i! Yeah! Incidently, they use open collective to collect funds. It’s a worker owned coop (US) on the backend.