Paid subscription to updates

Can you suggest any actual better sponsors? In last 8 years Jolla had a lot of announcements to make but it was either shitty cooperation with hw manufacturers (intex) or things that didn’t materialise (brazil), the only real sponsor they managed to get is putting their weight in with a ton of the updates you enjoy now being by those bad russians, but I’m sure everyone at jolla is listening to your suggestions, go ahead

2 Likes

thanks szopin. I am not a pro in thks field, but I am sure that through europeAn contribution could be a possibility,cause sailfish is european.

You should probably send an email to merkel about it, there was a talk about european alternative to US hegemony on the mobile OS market, but guess what, it drowned somewhere with the bureaucrats, surely it was just ussr type of accidental loss and not anything different, but hey, remind her, maybe she’ll answer your call, if not, please provide some other ideas for sponsors

1 Like

when talking about eurooe I just dont think about the big politician but about all the other helps that CE is giving out to the world every year. and like I say again, I am not an expert in this field, but I am sure that are some medium companies of tech that maybe will love to support the idea. and it doesnt need to be one company, but a bunch of smaal medium companies that can support it. maybe could be the idea of sfos been an NGO ??

Jolla has been an ‘NGO’ from the start (against GOs like google and apple, lets not pretend these corps were not backed by three letter agencies). What exactly do you expect from 26 countries that have their own agencies and own interests? US is the biggest corporate spying/sabotaging entity since 50s/60s, EU has nothing comparable (google how swedish ultra silent submarines got canned when they suddenly couldn’t find any company to deliver components (just like jolla 1 was attempted abortion with sony ericsson suddenly withdrawing their chips at 11th hour)

1 Like

i judt call Merkel. the ohone says she is busy…ummm

Ok, sad, think of some better sponsors then for our beloved european system

edit: here’s a thought maybe cia/fbi will be interested, oh wait they already got google and qualcomm on board (MTK is still secure lol, funny how all this anti-MTK posts seem to pop out whenever they are mentioned, probably just a coincidence, but israelis can only pull data from them when the device is unlocked? coincidence lol)

not sony ericsson but ST-Ericsson. it’s not the same.

2 Likes

I like more a kind a service to pay like cloud or Business/pro/extended tools.
Or maybe a contribution for support services…
Is more useful i think…

I’d definitely pay something like 50-100€ year for a business license – and I earn my life as a mobile developer , making software for iPhones and Android’ – as long as Sailfish stays independent and silent behind my firewall. My only question is where’s the team of independent developers, willing to work making quality software, supported by independent and good will folks, so I can put my money on --or maybe be a part of.

5 Likes

I got the idea that the Sailfish team did lose spirit after the tablet drama. still recovering. To my opinion ‘open source’ and secure does not automatically mean unpaid and voluntary. A decent businessmodel should be possible. Possibly time is not yet ripe.

1 Like

About sponsoring: the EU has funds, but it takes a long time to get something.

correct about the opensource does not mean unpaid. but spare an update because you don’t paid is not responsible too. first they could give the possibility to get donation. that a way for be enough.
next would be to give some services, like message server mail cloud, don’t know what…
Then for each tool that they have, give a advanced extensions. furthermore, develop tools for professionals could be interesting.

Otherwise, try to get some other lands or administrations which have a need of privacy. i think that there are pretty much organisations/administrations/countries which have such a need. why just BRICS?

I like idea of paid services but there is one problem. Usually you need app to access this services. Someone has to write this app…
Some services can be accessed by web browser… but usually you need up to date browser for that…

And one more thing. If you offer paid services you need more sys admins to keep this services alive 24/7.

1 Like

correct, we can consider to develop it under of an investment program.
If the program is interesting, then money could be lent by a bank or “shareholder”…

The funding possibilities are mostly project-focused and need to fit to their agenda. There is some administrative overhead of course, but in the end it is worth the effort.

1 Like

I would be willing to pay EU 50-100 / year for further development, on condition that - if I stop paying - the phone stays at its state and not will become unusable or locked.

I am ready to support Jolla, but under the condition, that the SFOS stays independent and open source.

edit: Better than a monthly or yearly fee would be: pay per every update event.

edit: some people pay abt. 25 Euro every month for some satellite TV channel…

7 Likes

Same thoughts. I think 30 -50, not more, because everuone should be able to.afford it. And of course there should be a wel maintained appstore and some progress in development.

2 Likes

Just a small note: SFOS is NOT open source. It is a mix of open source and closed source bits.

1 Like

OK, but SFOS is a linux based smartphone OS and I can tinker and modify some things for myself. I can practice my Linux skills, and I can take the benefit of using a smartphone without surrendering me, my data and privacy to some global player company or “big brother”.

That’s what I meant…

4 Likes