Paid subscription to updates

Can’t we close this topic now? There have been posted many replies, different opinions and many ideas, but it’s clear enough that there is no unanimity. Finally it’s up to Jollaboys. (That name appeared for the first time when I updated my 10 III and my XA2 plus today.)
In my eyes the XA2 and XA2 plus were the most attractive devices so far. Just this day I tried to use the XA2 plus again and I had the same reaction as ever: beautiful, intuitive and easy to use. But when I wanted to open NewPipe, it only worked about 30 seconds, then the app crashed. This kind of thing happens too often.
Jollaboys, please don’t neglect Sailfish.

3 Likes

Isn’t it actually Jollyboys, no matter how amusingly it sounds?

2 Likes

Yes, I was mistaken, you are right. Now we have to wait and see how ‘jolly’ Sailfish will be.

1 Like

Option for paying in the “store” would be a good start.
Update items from Jolla/Sailfish OS could be highlighted and open for donations “tips”.
This way users could vote by wallet.
Example: I would not pay for “updated latest version of Microsoft Exchange API whatever”
I would pay for “GUI adress book based integration of SIP secure voice”

2 Likes

Let’s go with Jolly cooperations! Dark Souls cit.
Anyway, you can have a license shops as now, and add a Jolla cloud service, something like that, paid subscription to support the development

1 Like

We do not neglect Sailfish OS. Thank you everybody for the fruitful discussion! You’re right @kea that there is no unanimity. Warm thanks to each and everybody involved. I’ll close this one tomorrow given that you don’t close before me.

7 Likes

“Threatening gratitude”?
Sorry, this typo made me laugh :smile:

4 Likes

Oops. Fixed the typo :slight_smile: I’m laughing to myself as well.

4 Likes

Not only porters but community contributors, after 15 months google assistant button will be usable as camera shutter on XIII apparently (Xperia 10 iii: make Google assistant button a camera trigger - #41 by nephros, source: Sailfish Community News, 18th April 2024 - Xperia 10 IV & V - #42 by rainemak), maybe a paid mods model like bethesda tried to introduce will work?

1 Like

I just flagged your post for no reason other than you asked to stop flagging anonymously. I hope you are feeling better now.

I think the monthly subscription is good enough, it is a small amount of fee, so you don’t have to pay much at once.

It is literally what the CEO of Jolla said: This is a phone made in Europe with a software made in Europe as well.

2 Likes

From that statement started the discussion. Samsun is not in Europe, despite some people claim otherwise (Jolla CEO included). Made in Europe with chinese chip/components.

Thanks God for that they don’t want to go weekly or daily subscription, as I believe that there would be people who would consider it “good enough”, too, as in their opinion everything can be excused with “Jolla needs support”.

I can’t recall anyone complaining about having to pay much at once. IIRC, people mostly considered it a fair price. So why fix what wasn’t broken?

4 Likes

Death by a thousand paper cuts. I have my XA2 5.5 years now. That would have been €330 in license fees. Rather steep, IYAM.

5 Likes

And not even VoLTE support.

2 Likes

Or 5G…or basic functions such as BT in Android apps, let’s not mention calling issues. But I am glad that they introduced the subscription, cause now we will see who is supporting Jolla for real. I see an analogy with church, everyone is a believer until it has to pay the ‘membership’. We will see how many of ‘supporting Jolla’ group will really subscribe.

2 Likes

He was talking about the XA2 which is not a 5G device (no 5G chipset / modem), so it can’t be implemented in SFOS on that phone, either. But it does support VoLTE out of the box on Sony’s stock Android, on Lineage OS, and any other OS available for it, except for SFOS.

Another story is how 5G support will develop on the 10 III. They introduced it in 4.6 on that model without support for voice calls (it drops to 4G/VoLTE to handle them). Let’s see if it ever gets any better than that on the 10 III, which is now being referred to as a LEGACY device.

2 Likes

I’m willing to support, but not worship Jolla. Subscription rubs me the wrong way. Pay €120 in 24 installments or €100 up front for a perpetual license might be palatable for me. But the permanent rent-seeking without clear benefits (especially given the poor state of the XA2 now, which I do understand given the recent troublesome years), nope, not for me.

9 Likes

Paying per month/week/day (or year) is absolutely no go! But paying per update is OK.

2 Likes