Not enough space using sfos-upgrade. Where are packages stored?

I started upgrade to 4.4.0.64 by downloading via the Settings app, but decided to continue using sfos-upgrade to be able to follow it.
I tried to updating using sfos-upgrade 4.4.0.64 which started fine but ended up in need of just 60MB more space.

It seems the Settings app and sfos-upgrade uses different download paths?

As Settings app stores the download somewhere(?) and the script stores it somewhere else(?) both are filing up space and Iā€™m now left with just 287.5M free space on the root partition and I donā€™t know where I can safely delete either of them.

Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: warning: /var/cach
e/pk-zypp-cache/packages/adaptation0/armv7hl/droid-system-pione
er-0.1.4-1.2.12.jolla.armv7hl.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signatu
re, key ID 47394f23: NOKEY
installing package droid-system-pioneer-0.1.4-1.2.12.jo
lla.armv7hl needs 60MB more space on the / filesystem

IIRC a downloaded SFOS upgrade via the Settings app is discarded when rebooting.

sfos-upgrade simply issues ssu re <version-to-upgrade-to> and then version dup, after performing a multitude of checks, most of which are denoted in its description.

Questions:

1. Didnā€™t sfos-upgrade warn you that your root partition is becoming overly full?
  2. Do I need to increase the thresholds for providing a notice (currently at 1 GB left), a warning (at 750 MB left) and throwing an error and exiting (currently at 500 MB left)?

Anyway, I never really cared where the ssu-command called by the version script stores the downloaded RPMs, but I assume it is in /var/cache/pk-zypp-cache/packages/, as your error message indicates. As it is a cache, you should be able to purge it.

IMO the proper solution is to increase the root filesystem size, e.g., by section 3.3 ā€œIncreasing the root LVM volume sizeā€ of my ā€œGuide for installing Sailfish X on Sony Xperiasā€.

1 Like

Or this:

But I donā€™t know if it works ok, not tested yet.

1 Like

Oh, youā€™re the author @olf ? Thanks for a great tool.

Sorry for the late response. Life interrupted me.

Yes it did. I believe there was something like 750MB free and I thought it was just being more cautious than the settings app that needed 500MB. Never assume - I should know that :wink:

Hmm, the 1GB is fine I guess, maybe the warning and error should be earlier. Or maybe for people like me who apparently ignores it use CAPITAL letters :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well funny thing is: I didnā€™t reboot the phone but later I checked and Settings/About product reported that 4.4.0.64 was installed.
I then rebooted and everything still works fine even though the error message during install really looked like something was missing? But thereā€™s 600MB free system space now so it cleaned up on reboot :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not used to pkcon or zypper, but is there a command to run to apply any updates that got interrupted without downloading new updates?

It has been my intention for quite some time, but it looks like I need a steady head to do that, and mine mostly isnā€™t so Iā€™ve postponed it :wink:

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks, Iā€™ll bookmark that.

At least my OpenRepos repository hosting sfos-upgrade says so, so I assume I am really me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I consider altering the limits to notice@1G, warn@800M and exit@600M.

But I still wonder a bit why 750M free was not sufficient for you.
If understand correctly, that was because you had the update downloaded by Jollaā€™s graphical updater, cancelled it and then immediately started sfos-upgrade without rebooting in between, right?

Or maybe for people like me who apparently ignores it use CAPITAL letters :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

No, I will not shout at people for no wrongdoing.

Well funny thing is: I didnā€™t reboot the phone but later I checked and Settings/About product reported that 4.4.0.64 was installed.

See SFOS version 4.4.0.58 without upgrade - #22 by olf

I then rebooted and everything still works fine even though the error message during install really looked like something was missing? But thereā€™s 600MB free system space now so it cleaned up on reboot :slight_smile:

Run sfos-upgrade --verify to ensure that an upgrade is completely installed.

Iā€™m not used to pkcon or zypper, but is there a command to run to apply any updates that got interrupted without downloading new updates?

I do not know: If you want to know, read Jollaā€™s version script and trace back further, IIRC to ssu, which is Free Software hosted at GitHub, so you can read its code to see what it does.

1 Like