No audio after some time, have to reboot

I will test it over the next days and report back

1 Like

With my Xperia 10 iii this no sound happens rarely, maybe once a week. In addition, I do not know how to provoke this no sound issue, so I see no other option than to wait and observe. I uncommented the lines today, and will report back here

1 Like

Unfortunately sound still disappears sometimes.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, hopefully there will be a better workaround or even a proper fix some day… :smiling_face_with_tear:

I am unsubscribing and getting back to an iPhone.
Are there any developers left in Jolla? I mean someone who can write and debug C code, and has some experience.

1 Like

Probably Not! :slight_smile:

I have high hopes for the xperia 10 v

I suspect that multiple sound issues reported here are related, e.g. this one :
Xperia 10 III audio and video problems trigger after a period of time in use - #11 by elkiaer.
Today I received a sound notification about a incoming whisperfish message. The notification sound was coming from the speakers although I was listening to music via headphones. From this very moment on the music was played by the speakers and not the plugged headphones anymore. Neither replugging headphones nor the Audio Output Choser app (Audio Output Chooser | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System) were able to change this sound from the speakers back to the headphones.
This happened multiple times the last days. In a more serious case all sound goes to some unknown sink and the media players are running very slowly, even regular phone calls are silent. But this extreme behaviour occurred only once to me.
In my case only a reboot restored normal audio behaviour and the working switch between different audio outputs.
In case I can contribute to provide some logs or similar I am happy to do so with some instructions what might be helpful

It is an old issue and no one have solve it jet. It is a Xperia 10 III issue and soon I will test it on a Xperia 10 V. I have a XA2 and the issue is not there.

That sound assuring that maybe the Xperia 10 V will indeed not have this annoying bug. I currently have only the Xperia 10 iii. It is so hard to investigate since I see no way to provoke it, it comes out of the blue .

Fingers crossed, I plan also to get the V

This problem has going on for years. I had it on xa2 and now on 10III so no hope. It is not related to hardware. As soon you put on GPS that shows your exact locasion the sound goes. Try to use the phone without and see. I have now for weeks had sound but no GPS.IMO this problem should be solved as it is not a new one.

a few weeks ago i had to reflash, because the microphone wasn’t working at all, so i flashed aosp 12, but not every file was flashing successfully. then i immediately flashed sfos 4.6 with the recommended binary blobs by jolla and now it seems to be pretty stable. my girlfriend said audio sometimes disappears and now i applied your changes and since then there was no incidence where audio disappeared. it almost seems like a miracle

1 Like

I use the Xperia 10 III as my primary work phone. I enjoy maps, so I use location services daily. The audio problem has never (never) hit me. Phone calls, WhatsApp, Spotify, Media app, notifications – audio works with all of them. But I am based in Finland (without a clue how that would save me from the audio issue).

On my Xperia 10 III:
/etc/pulse/default.pa # This file contains “load-module module-suspend-on-idle” – nothing about timeout
/etc/pulse/arm_droid_default.pa # This file contains “load-module module-suspend-on-idle timeout=1”

The following document presents a suitable way of collecting logs about this issue. The script has a focus on audio.
https://docs.sailfishos.org/Support/Help_Articles/Collecting_Logs/Collect_Persistent_Logs/

It is good to know if the following can bring the lost audio back:

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio
systemctl --user stop ngfd
systemctl --user start pulseaudio
systemctl --user start ngfd

I do not typically have more than 5-6 apps open at a time. How many do you have in average, I mean those that suffer from this issue? (thinking of OOM)

I would be glad to come and test the issue on the beaches of Portugal. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I read that sfos on xperia 10 iii has a lot less bugs with android 12 flashed before flashing sfos. There seems to be a partition that gets flashed by android 12 and then never touched by sfos, but it seems to rely on it somehow.

Yes, some people claim this is the case. It is possible but not properly verified.

My Xperia 10 III (that does not suffer from the audio issue) has Android 11.

1 Like

I could relatively good reproduce the audio issues by installing OsmAnd from F-Droid, having some offline maps downloaded and then navigate a little with that. I do that when cycling and i can be more than sure, that audio is more or less completely dead after some time using it.

Now with sailfish flashed on Android 13 with 12_4.19.v2a blobs according to this setup cited here:

The no sound after GPS use is at least less persistent, so that it is not reproducible anymore.
I will test if it is completely gone and if it will be at least absent for the next 30 days.
Currently, audio works flawlessly after GPS use with the Sailfish on top of ‘Android 13 + 12_4.19v2a blobs’ route, but it needs more testing for robust evaluation.
For my non technical expert mind this is somewhat strange: that the Android fundament on which Sailfish is flashed, has such an impact.
Does this imply that Sailfish 5 on the upcoming Jolla C2 device will not suffer these strange Xperia specific and annoying bugs?
Anyway, deep respect to wetab73 and others who paved the way for this unexpected findings.

I hope that too, that jolla c2 will be bugless, because of jollas direct access to drivers

I’m also curious about that, the Jolla C2 is a lot worse spec wise than an Xperia III or V, but that alone might make it worth getting one after all.
Still curious to see if the V will get it’s share of SFOS issues as well, hopefully not so I can upgrade to that one instead!

The ‘Audio not working after GPS use’ bug is still there on my Xperia 10 iii with Sailfish flashed on top of Android 13 with 12_4.18v2a blobs.
Stopping pulseaudio and ngfd and restarting them as described by @jovirkku does indeed restore audio.
I also have something like up to 7 apps open, none of them appear to be particularly memory hungry.
Audio loss does not happen after every use of GPS, but frequently.
I also used the script ‘Collect Persistent Logs’ as suggested by @jovirkku. Shall I provide the generated log tarball?