No 4G connection and mobile data since update from 4.0

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.3, 4.4
HARDWARE: X10
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: ?

DESCRIPTION:

Since I updated from 4.0 to 4.4 (with steps to 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 in succession) I no longer have 4G reception. I only have 2G (as 3G is no longer available in my country).

It also seems that the mobile data connection is broken, despite the UI showing that I have a working mobile data connection. Seems that something in the OS is reporting that I have a data connection while I don’t.

Restarting networking through settings seems to temporary solve the mobile networking issue.

I have no clue how to get further diagnostics to investigate what might cause this issue.

PRECONDITIONS:

Sim inserted.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Turning phone on.

EXPECTED RESULT:

4G reception, working mobile data connection.

ACTUAL RESULT:

No 4G, no working mobile data connection.

MODIFICATIONS:

Not that I am aware of.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

During update process it asked something about packages reverting. But I had no clue what to do with this as 1. did not know the packages, 2. the UI gave me no options to make a decision what to do with the packages.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, this is a bit similar case, so these instructions might help: After 4.4 upgrade no phone call no wlan possible - #20 by rainemak

Unfortunately that gives me the following:

Fatal error: ofono-ril-binder-plugin-1.2.6-1.4.2.jolla.armv7hl is already installed

I tried to post ssu lr to show my repositories, but this forum doesn’t allow me to do as I can only post 2 links as a “new user” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

Edit: seems I can now:

Enabled repositories (global):

Enabled repositories (user):

Disabled repositories (global, might be overridden by user config):

Disabled repositories (user):

What other diagnostic info would be useful to assess the issue?

This week I have factory reset my phone without any difference.

After this I’ve flashed the Xperia 10 - dual sim with 4.5.0.19 to have a full clean start. Unfortunately this doesn’t change anything, still no 4G connectivity.

One thing to add is that I have seen some additional behavior in the past year. Sometimes the phone suddenly is able to connect to 4G. It would happen after the phone has been turned on for a longer time, e.g. longer than a month. It seems it remains being able to use 4G until the phone reboots.

This would indicate that it is not a hardware issue but a software issue.

Which log files should I look at to gain more insight in the possible issues?

I would say that oFono logs would be the first ones to check: Collect oFono Logs | Sailfish OS Documentation

Do you have some news about?

Sorry for the really late reply… Is this 4G problem still valid for you?