̶N̶e̶w̶ port in the works: Xiaomi Mi Note 10 (tucana)

Today I had time to test it :slight_smile:

I can confirm that I can now set up a code for the lockscreen.
When it comes to connection with ssh/telnet, I can report that

• the device goes into developer mode and stays there without switching back
  • with ifconfig I see that there is a device with the address 192.168.2.13 when I plug in the phone
  • the connection with ssh/telnet doesn’t work, because the connection is refused:
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.13 port 22: Connection refused

The output of ifconfig:

enxa2a479ad08d2: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.2.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255
inet6 fe80::e3cc:f90f:347a:37b1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether a2:a4:79:ad:08:d2 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 7 bytes 760 (760.0 B)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 24 bytes 4122 (4.0 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

and of route:

Ziel Router Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default speedport.ip 0.0.0.0 UG 600 0 0 wlp166s0
192.168.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 100 0 0 enxa2a479ad08d2
192.168.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 600 0 0 wlp166s0

It still amazes me that you have the same address range on your wifi.

1. Does it work if you disable your laptop wifi?
  2. What about setting the same address statically as the one from the Xperia? Maybe there’s another host you’re trying to connect to with the same IP on SSH.
    You can get the MAC of the ip by inspecting with the arp command and compare to the one of the phone
  3. There are a couple of threads like Q: Had to setup new my Linux laptop, now can't ssh to Sailfish phone no more. What can I do?

@RosSigudottir do you have ssh or telnet over usb, out of curiosity?

The developer option shows me an ip over usb but I never managed to reach it, not even with ping so I guess it’s not working.

For me, networks are a closed book, so unfortunately I don’t get what you mean :wink:

I tried the steps you described:

1. Disabling wifi doesn’t change anything
  2. I tried with the command ifconfig enxa6e4ca642714 192.168.2.14 you proposed above (interface replaced by the actual device name, seems to change everytime I connect the phone). I get a Connection refused as answer, it doesn’t complain a missing route. I don’t think it tries to connect to another device, as the device only shows up with ifconfig as soon as I connect my phone.
  3. Success! I had a look in the thread you linked and in the third post (https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/q-had-to-setup-new-my-linux-laptop-now-cant-ssh-to-sailfish-phone-no-more-what-can-i-do/16687/3) it was proposed to use the -v option for ssh. Although this should only turn on the verbose mode, as far as I understand, after a lot of debugging output I suddenly was asked to confirm the fingerprint. As soon as I confirmed, I was asked for the password of my phone and then I was logged in :smile:
    I don’t know why that worked (in the line above I tried the same command without -v), and in fact I can’t really say what worked. The strange thing is: with infonfig I see my phone connected as 192.168.2.14, because I tried to set a static IP. But the successfull connection was with ssh into 192.168.2.15.

This is all very confusing (at least for me), but now I can ssh into my phone :slight_smile:

Now that I can log into the phone I faced two issues:

1. It seems that I can’t make the fingerprint reader work. I can register one or two fingerprints with the preinstalled community app, but after registration they seem to be not recognised.
  2. I can’t delete the unencrypted home, because in step 2 of the instructions, the device always claims that the umount doesn’t work because the resource is busy

But otherwise: it works really nicely, thank you so much :slight_smile:

Very quicky for the last part:

1. I think I may have drawn the fingerprint circle only for registration in that app. To use it to unlock the device you need a patch to modify the lock screen: Project: patch-lockscreen-touchArea (install patchmanager and you’ll find it in web catalog)
  2. I think this is because when ssh-ing, it defaults the working directory to /home/defaultuser. This means you need to change directory to e.g. root, then devel-su and stop the user session & umount. You can find the processes using /home with a command such as lsof /home
1 Like

Cool, it worked :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I can’t test this anymore: I lost my phone on my bike trip :frowning:

That means that I have to find a new one (and the money for buying one…) :cry:

Oh boy, this is not good news:( Once again you were right about encryption and devicelock being needed…

In this case encryption was not so super important, because at the journey it acted more like a toy which I was trying out, while my Xperia 10 III still acted as my main device. But if I had set it up properly, I would have been really glad to have it encrypted :wink:
I hope I’ll find another one for a good price when I’m back home.

But nevertheless, it was an interesting journey with you fixing the issues. Thanks a lot, I can absolutely recommend your port to anyone considering this device!

1 Like

Version 4.6.0.13 available now for testing at Release 4.6.0.13 Prerelease · sailfishos-on-tucana/Readme · GitHub
I have not tested this myself, only the devel version. Update should be again:

# ssu re 4.6.0.13
# version --dup

There are no changes impacting the port in the upstream since 11 vs 13 were only appsupportr related, but I have inserted one adaptation change, the signalling of the cutout presence which should by default move the clock a little lower. I will update the clock patch anyway but sometimes later.

One thing to note if you use waydroid: you Need to comment apparmor in /var/lib/waydroid/lxc/waydroid/config · Issue #30 · sailfishos-open/waydroid · GitHub until the next waydroid version is packaged in chum.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Trying to run the Mi Note 10 port on Mi Note 10 Lite