̶N̶e̶w̶ port in the works: Xiaomi Mi Note 10 (tucana)

It means that you have to click the power button in a call to switch off the screen.
And, each time you get a message or change the volume, check the screen is off again and if not, power it off again… (that last part is annoying, the first one can be quickly learned)

It is not, but I could include it, I have now some experience with that. There are a couple of problems with retro-fitting: One is that I wouldn’t enable it by default so I don’t surprise existing users with an option that would potentially make them lose their existing home access. So you’d have to enable it after the Tutorial/first boot manually (that’s what I did for Zenfone 8 too).

The other “problem” is that you need to pre-allocate the max size of the home partition. This might be OK for Mi Note 10, maybe there aren’t multiple versions of the hardware (with different storage sizes) but it is a problem contributing to the fact that I haven’t enabled it by default on Zenfone 8.
This latter problem is probably not existing with Jolla encryption, but that requires a flashable lvm volume as the output of the image build, and the knowledge how to do that is not yet acquired by me (and is again not very upgrade friendly…)

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions!

I imagine it can be annoying, but I guess I could get along with this.

I know that this is not uncontroversial and there are several legitimate opinions on it, but for me, encryption is a prerequisite for filling a phone with my personal data/photos/whatever.

Maybe I should try to get one in my hands :slight_smile:

Not a worry here at all. The only problem would be my time to get that compiled (it needs an android piece of build called hwcrypt tied to the specific android tree, 10 in this case), and testing if it needs boot changes as the systemd services needed some help on Zenfone8. Let’s hope it’s easier on the Mi Note 10.

Let’s hope you find an affordable one. You can even spearhead the Mi Note 10 PRO testing, should be the same but better camera… glass :wink:

1 Like

You would have to make a version for 256 GB internal memory

Yeah, since I mentioned that you need to enable (ssh into) the encryption service after the first boot, I could suggest a 256GB-like “partition” size for it too, that will be created at the next boot.

I found a non-pro in this extremely beautiful aurora-green which looks like new for a good price. I thought that camera software of SFOS is bad enough to not make a difference if I chose a lens with one more element… Let’s hope the battery is OK, everything else seems to work fine.

I hope you are not too disappointed that I won’t be able to serve as a tester for the pro-model. :wink:

I myself am disappointed that I won’t be able to flash it before Tuesday! :frowning:

Regarding Pro model:

According to one Mi Note 10 “Official” telegram channel the corner (or edge) softness you will likely see in the otherwise good camera is fixed by that Pro 8th lens. I don’t have first hand experience with that, was just curious. You need to figure out for yourself if this is a visible problem, and even so, you can later swap the camera sensor for a Pro one… not that I bothered.

Regarding encryption:
Anyway, I’ve built the hwcrypt package and copied the encryption packages from sake, and am gonna test if at least it asks (and I say no) to encrypt. I am going to need your help to tell me if it doesn’t go further, maybe on one of the OFTC channels #sailfishos-porters or just #sailfishos if it is an IM-like exchange (Update: as soon as I get this at least asking at boot, see below).

Basically, only hwcrypt is added as must-installable, the others need to be individually zypper installed:

packages

zypper in libsfosdevenc sailfish-device-encryption-community-wizard sailfish-device-encryption-community-settings sailfish-device-encryption-community-service sailfish-device-encryption-community-generator sailfish-device-encryption-community sailfish-device-encryption-community-droid

(that may not be the minimal set, maybe sailfish-device-encryption-community-droid works too, but I didn’t dig into that)

Unfortunately this is not working now at boot. The sailfish-device-encryption-community-wizard crashes, while in the session where I install the above, if I stop user@100000 service, it does work. So I need a bit more time to figure this out.

2 Likes

It is really kind of you that you are trying this! As soon as I managed to flash (likely on Tuesday), I will join a conversation on one of those channels.

Nothing beats a good sleep, even though I don’t have an actual explanation, this seems to get through in my tests.

After you have flashed, you have to enable SSH and update, install the packages above and maybe it will just work :crossed_fingers: . Maybe telnet would need to be enabled if that doesn’t cut it (need to look up how to do that on testing builds, as opposed to devel ones). Welcome to the Mi Note 10 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not yet. This crappy Xiaomi unlockung tool won’t work. Neither does creation of a Xiaomi account…

EDIT: now I managed to create an account and link my phone (for which they require a telephone number and an email address…), but now I have to wait for 168h to be allowed to unlock. What an idiotic process.

Good.
I completely forgot how this went for me years ago… There was sone waiting back then too. I bought it sealed, never-opened.

Also, a curiosity: did you bought it used? In that case, did it require the previous owner’s password too? (I recently reinitialized a Huawei to hand it over to someone else in the family and I had to remember a ‘device password’ I set waay back…)

I bought it refurbished (or returned goods) and until now I didn’t have a problem. Keeping fingers crossed that next week it won’t ask me for a password :wink:

I’ve been using Xiaomi for over 4 years now, and I honestly believe it’s taken or will at least take Samsung’s place. As for the Mi Note 10, it could use some improvements in the camera and maybe better software for a smoother experience.

I want to be sure I do it right, so I think I’d better ask before. The steps should be after unlocking:

1. Install TWRP
  2. Flash MIUI Android 10
  3. Reinstall TWRP
  4. Înstall Lineage
  5. Flash SFOS 4.5.0.21
  6. Enable SSH
  7. Update to which release? 4.5.0.26?
  8. Install packages

Correct?

That’s the high level, yes. Some links should be available here.
You can just zypper up for point 7. My recollection is that the dot release only changed packages in the adaptation-common repo

1 Like

Well, unfortunately I am stuck at step 4.
I installed MIUI/Android (recommended one), installed TWRP, booted into MIUI and enabled USB debugging again and pushed LineageOS. I can install it, but afterwards I always reboot to TWRP, not to Lineage…

EDIT: the world belongs to the brave. I just installed SFOS without booting to LineageOS and so far it seems to work, I could boot it.

EDIT 2: It seems something has gone wrong. I can neither

• add a lockscreen code: it shows “Authentication unavailable” when I type in the PIN code for the second time
  • ssh into the device. neither via USB nor via WiFi. I also can’t reach it with ping

I already did zypper up and it updated a bunch of packages

Good!

Edit 1 - I think the data partition needs wiping if you boot Lineage once. I’ll need to add it to instructions

Edit 2: I asked how to enable telnet grep #sailfishos-porters archive

2 Likes

Thank you for your always so fast reply, very appreciated!

Regarding EDIT 1: I wiped the partition right after flashing, but couldn’t boot anyway.

Regarding EDIT 2: I hope I was not to unclear with my explanation. If so, sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that I can’t set up a lockscreen code. But I can enter the device by swiping, as no lockscreen code is set. :wink:
And I set up a password for the remote developer mode access, the problem is that I always get a ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.15 port 22: No route to host in my terminal on my Debian box I used to flash the device. When I try to ping the phone all packages are lost with From 192.168.2.60 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

1 Like

This non-LVM port actually resides in /data/.stowaways so you need to wipe before flashing, otherwise you remove SFOS itself:)

Regarding PIN setting, I have not encountered the error and it would be best to debug through ssh. But since that doesn’t work I thought telnet would…
Anyway, maybe developer mode only enables sshd service but doesn’t start it. Maybe reboot once

As I was able to boot SFOS, I most probably chose the right order :smiley:

A reboot didn’t change the situation. I plug in the phone, I am asked which mode I would like to have it connected and choose developer mode. Then, after a short while, it makes a sound and says it is charging.
A ps fax|grep sshd shows no running sshd process, neither as defaultuser nor as root.